St James' Park

Delima

14 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Slightly off topic but it's amazing how folk are (quite understandably) discussing 70 & 80k capacity stadiums. Watching the lads when 18k was deemed decent I'd have never dreamt how the game has developed over these 40 odd years. 

Thank Kevin Keegan, he’s almost single handedly responsible. A lot of games just before Keegan came in as manager were around 16k. The Bristol City game was the turning point, next season we never looked back. He built the modern version of NUFC.

Edited by Novocastrian

13 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It is really. 60k is too small, but 70k with the ability to take it to 80k easily enough if demand holds is great. Let’s remember that Man Utd don’t have 80k seater stadium, Liverpool won’t even have that much when they are done with their expansions.

I can’t see us needing a stadium capacity much higher than 80k.

We need to catch both those teams not remain behind them. By the time ours is likely to be built Man Utd will be at 100k.

We are at 53k

Conservative figures:

33K ST 

4K Corporate 

3K Away

13K General

75-90K Members

Football growth is getting bigger and bigger. As is live music and other sporting events.  70k would leave people locked out from day one. We can always extend away allocation as a couple of K and clubs would sell them.

I know I’m a broken record but this is a multi generational decision. We haven’t even shown any potential financial might yet. What’s the harm of a handful of empty seats in the upper tiers as the club grows to fill the stadium. The acoustics alone will be x100 better even not full.

Just build it right first time. The surrounding area will be changing over the decades including the airport and other transport links.

27 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Buying Utilita Arena and building there IMO is the only legit option. And giving wording about not regretting the decision as a city, helps that. As you see with Man City stadium, that’s completely hauled the neighbouring area, and a mega new stadium there near the Tyne, can see that whole neighbouring area rejuvenated over time with the city area expanded out further for retail and leisure. 

It would certainly expand the city centre footprint having a stadium down there, it might even encourage people to get in the stadium earlier spending their money.

Edited by Whitley mag

3 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Thank Kevin Keegan, he’s almost single handedly responsible. A lot of games just before Keegan came in as manager were around 16k. The Bristol City game was the turning point, next season we never looked back. He built the modern version of NUFC.

Oh I do, I'd glady contribute to a statue for the man. 

Photos ripped from that youtube video from a few months ago, but this is definitely how you hold on to a piece of the current footprint and thus keep the SJP purists happy.

Surprised at people's objections to the Arena site. I think, if it was big enough it's a good position to build a stadium. Been to many a gig there and just ended up drinking in many usual Pre match pubs beforehand so that wouldn't be an issue to me.

People comparing it to the SoLs position at Sunderland are well wise of the mark. Firstly the 2 cities simply don't compare amd there's no bias in that statement. They just don't. But secondly at least we'd still be on the right side of the river to the City centre.

Leazes Park or Town Moor I'd probably prefer but I'd be more than happy with a 70/75k super stadium by the river.

Edited by Wallsendmag

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Photos ripped from that youtube video from a few months ago, but this is definitely how you hold on to a piece of the current footprint and thus keep the SJP purists happy.

Except that is building on the listed Leazes Park, and more importantly, one of the main reasons why it’s listed, the bandstand.

If it was that easy, they would have started it by now.

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

We need to catch both those teams not remain behind them. By the time ours is likely to be built Man Utd will be at 100k.

We are at 53k

Conservative figures:

33K ST 

4K Corporate 

3K Away

13K General

75-90K Members

Football growth is getting bigger and bigger. As is live music and other sporting events.  70k would leave people locked out from day one. We can always extend away allocation as a couple of K and clubs would sell them.

I know I’m a broken record but this is a multi generational decision. We haven’t even shown any potential financial might yet. What’s the harm of a handful of empty seats in the upper tiers as the club grows to fill the stadium. The acoustics alone will be x100 better even not full.

Just build it right first time. The surrounding area will be changing over the decades including the airport and other transport links.

Think of the jobs it will create

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Surprised at people's objections to the Arena site. I think, of it was big enough it's a good position to build a stadium. Been to many a gig there and just ended up drinking in many usual Pre match pubs beforehand so that wouldn't be an issue to me.

People comparing it to the SoLs position at Sunderland are well wise of the mark. Firstly the 2 cotes simply don't compare amd there's no bias in that statement. They just don't. But secondly at least we'd still be on the right side of the river to the City centre.

Leazes Park or Town Moor I'd probably prefer but I'd be more than happy with a 70/75k super stadium by the river.

Off topic, but I seriously doubt many people have been to Sunderland. The SOL is in the city centre, it’s just as close to their main shopping street, as SJP is to Northumberland Street. The fact that it’s over the river deceives a lot of people.

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Except that is building on the listed Leazes Park, and more importantly, one of the main reasons why it’s listed, the bandstand.

If it was that easy, they would have started it by now.

I can see them finding a way around those issues. As everyone now knows, the park is absolutely goosed and need serious money thrown at it for it to be renovated.

Just now, Stifler said:

Off topic, but I seriously doubt many people have been to Sunderland. The SOL is in the city centre, it’s just as close to their main shopping street, as SJP is to Northumberland Street. The fact that it’s over the river deceives a lot of people.

Been loads of times tbf.

33 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Aye. I'm in Gateshead and I'd have to get through the town traffic and then battle other fans through Gosforth or wherever it is. I'd probably be fine doing it a few times but after the 10th or so I'd just be wishing I was in the house or down my local watching on IPTV. I can just imagine the club not feeling like Newcastle United in this scenario.

Fair enough. I suppose it’s what you’re used to. I’d hate that site too tbh. I’m travelling from Edinburgh every other week.

Just now, Wandy said:

I can see them finding a way around those issues. As everyone now knows, the park is absolutely goosed and need serious money thrown at it for it to be renovated.

English heritage do not give a fuck, and will fight you every step of the way. There have been cases where they have taken legal action against property owners who have replaced cast iron guttering with faux cast iron guttering.

You absolutely won’t be able to rip the bandstand out, and if you do, you might as well go and fill in the duck pond, and turn every tree in the park into sawdust.

It’s an absolute non-starter, and if the reason why for the last 30 years no one has tried it, and one of the reasons why Ashley sold the club for £300m, and not much more.

16 minutes ago, Wandy said:

From that video I'm very much an option A or B person, but if the choice was option C or move, even to somewhere else in the city, it's option C every time. 

22 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It’s still a listed park.

Murry Park in Stanley was a listed park with a covenant on it to be used only for public use.........its a fucking housing estate now.

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It is part of their city centre, it is on the Northern edge, similar to SJP, but it is in the city centre.

It's a 20 minute walk from their main shopping areas, Bridges, Fawcett Street etc. SJP is around a 10 minute walk from Northumberland Street/Eldon Square. Never really thought of them as having a city centre location in the way we do, although location wise as far as new builds it's as good as there is.  Maybe that's because we're spoilt for choice for drinking/eating establishments within a 15 minute walk whereas they certainly aren't!