St James' Park

Delima

I wonder will they look at building a new stadium with about half of it in Leazes Park just behind SJP and half on the footprint of the current stadium with us playing somewhere else for a period of time during construction. Similar to what Spurs did, they could start half of it while we're still in SJP. 

19 minutes ago, Decky said:

I wonder will they look at building a new stadium with about half of it in Leazes Park just behind SJP and half on the footprint of the current stadium with us playing somewhere else for a period of time during construction. Similar to what Spurs did, they could start half of it while we're still in SJP. 

What I can’t say is, where is also could we play? Like completely away from the area? 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

What I can’t say is, where is also could we play? Like completely away from the area? 

Not sure but probably temporary stands at another ground like Gateshead Stadium or more than likely paying the mackems to use the Stadium of Light for a season or two. I'm sure they've ideas for it anyway because rebuilding SJP in its current footprint was surely looked at as a potential option. 

2 minutes ago, Decky said:

Not sure but probably temporary stands at another ground like Gateshead Stadium or more than likely paying the mackems to use the Stadium of Light for a season or two. I'm sure they've ideas for it anyway because rebuilding SJP in its current footprint was surely looked at as a potential option. 

Absolutely no chance we'd be allowed to ship 50k Newcastle fans into Sunderland every other week imo.

If they're building a new stadium surely they'd do it just far enough away from SJP so that they didn't create the "where do we play in the meantime" problem?

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Absolutely no chance we'd be allowed to ship 50k Newcastle fans into Sunderland every other week imo.

If they're building a new stadium surely they'd do it just far enough away from SJP so that they didn't create the "where do we play in the meantime" problem?

Yeah the logistics of it with the police would be the biggest stumbling block. You know the owners of the mackems would take the money though. I'm honestly not sure what they'd do.

Hasn't the Gateshead International stadium got a big massive running track? Could that not be used with temporary stands for a few years?

34 minutes ago, Decky said:

Probably the most realistic proposal.

Just take enough of leazes park not too piss off all the environmental cunts and enough of st James to still play a majority of games without sacrificing all the match day income.

Then the dormant area of st James transformed into parkland. 

The least disruptive, the least fucking about and the most pleasing outcome for everyone 

36 minutes ago, Decky said:

Why bother when that would not really be on the current site, be more impact ful on Leazes Park and would be incredibly disruptive having to find somewhere else to play, when we could just build a couple of hundered meters away and avoid all of that. I can't see us chosing that option.

3 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Fuck playing at the SoL like. Fuck us owing them for the privilege of playing there and double fuck even contemplating paying them for the privilege. 

I'd rather we played at Paddy Freeman's park if there are no other options.

What if they gave you a free Sunderland scarf with every season ticket?

Let’s be pragmatic here, we want a solution that’s practical, affordable and gets the most fans in as possible. Is there a better option than SoL if you take out the rivalry and antagonistic nature of the fans towards one another?

12 minutes ago, 54 said:

Hasn't the Gateshead International stadium got a big massive running track? Could that not be used with temporary stands for a few years?

No

Just now, gbandit said:

Let’s be pragmatic here, we want a solution that’s practical, affordable and gets the most fans in as possible. Is there a better option than SoL if you take out the rivalry and antagonistic nature of the fans towards one another?

Darlo ? 

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s the clearest option by a mile, just can’t ever see it happening. But I’d be fine with it personally. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s the clearest option by a mile, just can’t ever see it happening. But I’d be fine with it personally. 

Same, it’s hardly a “they’ve got one over us” from either angle. They get some important additional money, we get as many fans into games without people having to travel a ton of extra hours at huge expense

You know some of the comments on here are staggering.  We MUST DO THIS, WE MUST DO THAT, WE CAN'T COMPETE etc etc.  Honestly, we actually have a fabulous stadium at the moment that is the envy of other clubs due mainly to it's proximity to the City Centre.

Because the hierarchy have said a decision will happen early next year then some take that as a negative.  I think it's absolutely common sense.  Take as long as you like lads/lasses but make it a great conclusion.

I love St James' Park and have no problem with the time taking to make a decision.  I've never looked but we must still be in the top six for attendances.  Teams like Fulham, Brentford etc must cast envious eyes at us.  What I'm saying is, what will be will be and the stadium isn't falling down.  Trust our owners.

12 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Therein lies the problem. You can't take that out.

I don't doubt that their ownership would be up for it and it'd be by miles the easiest option for us, but that hurdle isn't going to be overcome. 

PIF buy Newcastle Falcons (thought this was happening anyway?)

Do up KP, add a bigger stand and make it a PL level stadium for the time being

Play there for a year

Legacy it being a great stadium for Premiership rugby, our women’s and academy teams

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Wouldn't that block the main stands behind it rendering the idea meaningless? Unless you dig down, and that's the end of athletics