St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

Guest Roger Kint

I'd imagine the kit sponsorship will be the same

Explains our new defender/£8m budget for Jan. Still no sign of the Carroll cash....  :hmm:

Guest Roger Kint

If it's got to be someone then I'm happy that it's Branson's lot. I'd imagine he will incorporate St James Park into it somehow.

Would be a massive PR coup for him

From 20 Nov:

The Virgin Money chief executive last week unveiled a £747m takeover of Newcastle sponsor Northern Rock.

The club’s stadium has been renamed the Sports Direct Arena by Mike Ashley, Newcastle United’s owner and founder of the sports retail chain, in preparation for a sale of the naming rights.

In an interview with The Sunday Telegraph, Ms Gadhia says: “To be honest, I think it should be called St James’ Park.”

Asked whether it might be renamed the Virgin Money Arena, she said: “I don’t think that would be right for Newcastle.

“St James’ Park is part of the heritage of Newcastle and it’s important to local people, so for me it should be called St James’ Park.”

Northern Rock’s Newcastle sponsorship runs to the end of this season. Ms Gadhia said she would be talking to Newcastle United about Virgin Money might do after that.

If it's got to be someone then I'm happy that it's Branson's lot. I'd imagine he will incorporate St James Park into it somehow.

Would be a massive PR coup for him

Indeed - especially that they now own what was Northern Rock as well. Would give them a massive shot in the arm in this part of the world.

From 20 Nov:

The Virgin Money chief executive last week unveiled a £747m takeover of Newcastle sponsor Northern Rock.

The club’s stadium has been renamed the Sports Direct Arena by Mike Ashley, Newcastle United’s owner and founder of the sports retail chain, in preparation for a sale of the naming rights.

In an interview with The Sunday Telegraph, Ms Gadhia says: “To be honest, I think it should be called St James’ Park.”

Asked whether it might be renamed the Virgin Money Arena, she said: “I don’t think that would be right for Newcastle.

“St James’ Park is part of the heritage of Newcastle and it’s important to local people, so for me it should be called St James’ Park.”

Northern Rock’s Newcastle sponsorship runs to the end of this season. Ms Gadhia said she would be talking to Newcastle United about Virgin Money might do after that.

Good find. *hopes*

Branson has forgotten more about business than Ashley knows its huge news for us, Branson must have a plan or why even bother doing business with the fat t***.

Getting Virgin on a stadium name and possibly a shirt sponsor is a cracking piece of advertising.

In one of the most watched leagues in the world and one of the teams which is regularly on TV as well.