St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

That lass from Virgin Money is at the game tonight according to the Echo.

Northern Rock's corporate box is now Virgin Money's corporate box. She actually said she'd try to be there. She's in London today.

I'm not trying to piss on the parade but I'd wait before getting all excited about the idea of Virgin sponsoring the stadium, the shirts, etc.

Those quotes mean nothing. If Virgin are buying the naming rights why wouldn't they put their name in it?

They might be going for the good publicity?

Would mean very little outside of NE1. If they're paying big money they're looking for national/international impact.

However if it were to happen I could see a future sponsor incorporating "St.James'Park" into their chosen name.

Honestly think it would have national impact if they changed it back - seeing as the original change made such headlines. 'Saint Richard did another lovely thing today' type stuff while providing coverage of the actual sponsorship itself which is the key aim of said sponsorship, of course.

Yeah, see your point on a national albeit short term basis.

A "Virgin (or whoever) St.James Park" title could be the answer. Finding favour with fans while gaining biggest impact for the sponsor and even get the media off the hook.

Yes, I suspect so. Keep it quiet, but I actually think the 'blahblah@SJP' idea was about the classiest idea our wankers could have come up with. Allowed something commercial to be married to history instead of just raping it.

The thing is, one thing I felt highlighted Ashley and SD's cynicism over this idea they were 'previewing' this arrangement for potential buyers was that the preview in itself ate the value for any other potential sponsor as the impact was lost - and they must have realised that, because I don't think they're that cretinous.

This is why the short term fame of changing it back would be more worthwhile than the long term darkness of just becoming 'Virgin Arena'. No bugger would notice, not even football fans for a good while.

Yeah, that's what I was told this morning. May be wires crossed but let's wait and see.

Putting passion aside, if I were about to embark of a huge marketing campaign to raise the brand awareness of a product and attach it to the city it resides in, I'd seriously consider it.

Yeah, that's what I was told this morning. May be wires crossed but let's wait and see.

Putting passion aside, if I were about to embark of a huge marketing campaign to raise the brand awareness of a product and attach it to the city it resides in, I'd seriously consider it.

Cleverly placed story in the Journal this morning as well...

Said in the journal today Virgin Money are about to embark on a Huge advertising campaign in the next few weeks, maybe this fits in with that.

Said in the journal today Virgin Money are about to embark on a Huge advertising campaign in the next few weeks, maybe this fits in with that.

It makes sense to me.

Guest johnson293

It makes sense to me.

And where better to start it, than on a Live Sky Sports Premiership match, against Man Utd.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Hopefully this will result in a few more pennies in the transfers coffers although I won't hold my breath.

As if. :yao:

Hopefully this will result in a few more pennies in the transfers coffers although I won't hold my breath.

"As you know, we had to buy brand new shirts for every single one of the players due to the new sponsor.  We also had to pay to have the old shirts disposed of.  These things all add up."

"As you know, we had to buy brand new shirts for every single one of the players due to the new sponsor.  We also had to pay to have the old shirts disposed of.  These things all add up."

:okay:

Virgin Money took over Northern Rock, right? And Northern Rock were paying us money... surely there won't be any 'new' funds?

:okay:

Virgin Money took over Northern Rock, right? And Northern Rock were paying us money... surely there won't be any 'new' funds?

Bingo