St James' Park

Delima

Leazers Terrace is grade 2 listed, you can’t do fuck all with it.

Also, of course he will say that, he’s trying to cash in on his regeneration project. He’s bought and done out the whole street and still has about 50% of them vacant. Don’t mistake a grifter who grifting, for someone being right.

Edited by Stifler

3 hours ago, Fezzle said:

Unfortunately the cost and actual process would also be outrageous. That's been be the biggest issue for a long time

It has been a big issue for a long time. But we now have some very wealthy and well connected owners. The Reuben brothers will be playing a massive part in any sort of expansion I would think. 

I remember when they built the current top tier, I got soaked to the bone in the paddocks at that sunderland match and had to walk out under the c*nts through the tunnel in the corner. A miserable evening 

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Leazers Terrace is grade 2 listed, you can’t do fuck all with it.

Also, of course he will say that, he’s trying to cash in on his regeneration project. He’s bought and done out the whole street and still has about 50% of them vacant. Don’t mistake a grifter who grifting, for someone being right.

That's not strictly true. They'd need Listed building consent from the Council. In this instance it's highly unlikely they'd get consent but it's a myth that Grade 2 status means it's Impossible.

4 hours ago, ryanegg said:

It has been a big issue for a long time. But we now have some very wealthy and well connected owners. The Reuben brothers will be playing a massive part in any sort of expansion I would think. 

Rueben's can't do much with the structural nightmare of building on top of a metro station though

New stadium for me. Either Leazes or Arena. Use the Tottenham stadium as a starting point and make it 10x better.

Modern stadium. Modern amenities. Let's give bands/musicians/WWE/boxing/NFL a reason to come to the north east. Level up the region. Bring money into the region. Didn't they say the PSG game brought in £4m to the local economy? Let's get Taylor fucking Swift here, man. Swifties spend money!

Winds me up something fierce that people pile into here clamming for a shiny corporate bowl only hours after those incredible scenes from the other night. I understand the reasons why but the idea can absolutely fuck the fuck off for me. 

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Winds me up something fierce that people pile into here clamming for a shiny corporate bowl only hours after those incredible scenes from the other night. I understand the reasons why but the idea can absolutely fuck the fuck off for me. 

I’m not against a new stadium either roughly on the current footprint, or the arena site.

However if it is to be done, it has to be sensitive, another Emirates, Stad De Luz, Atletico Madrid stadium is no good in my opinion.

It does have to have character, it does have to be identifiable, and it does have to have an atmosphere.

If we can expand then we should expand, its as simple as that in my view. Obviously it would cost a shit ton of money to do because any expansion will require some elaborate structural work and architectural genius to get around the problems.

If PIF are willing to pump the required amount millions (hundreds of millions) into the stadium project then it's 100% worth it to stay at St James's. 

It's already been proved we can host concerts at the ground so that's not an issue really, just might need a bit of thought put into that side of things whenever the expansion is being planned to make those events easier to set up.

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

Rueben's can't do much with the structural nightmare of building on top of a metro station though

It's likely the foundations will go further back beyond the metro. I will be a fucking massive structure but that was seen as feasible before but not for the cost. 

I'd assume now it's more likely they think the cost is worth it, especially if it's not part of FFP

30 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I completely agree. Wednesday night wouldn't have been the same in some corporate placca heap. 

We upgrade our house, let's not replace it. The cost is worth it

6 hours ago, madras said:

That's not strictly true. They'd need Listed building consent from the Council. In this instance it's highly unlikely they'd get consent but it's a myth that Grade 2 status means it's Impossible.

Except Leazes Terrace is Grade I listed and regarded as one if the finest residential building in the UK. It has the highest possible protection after World Heritage status. 

All arguments about extending the East Stand and encroaching into Leazes Terrace space and light is a wilful waste of time. Much the same can be said for St James Terrace eveb though it's only Grade II listed. Not only do all those building have Listing protection, but they also sit in a Conservation Area. Together they form Newcastle's finest collection of buildings outside Graingertown and the Tyne bridges. 

For those that keep mentioning building on Leazes Park, that will not happen either - and nor should it. Leazes Park is the only city centre Park and it is Grade II listed and is part if the Conservation Area that includes the aforementioned buildings in Leazes Village. 

Nobody would countenance moving outside the city centre so the options are:

1. Stay at St.James's Park and possibly make some (probably modest) increases to the capacity.

2. Move to Castle Leazes or other town moor land (subject to Freemen and council approval) with St.James's being laid out as part of an extended Leazes Park.

3. IF available, relocate to the Arena site. The club could then buy up parcels of land  (possibly all the way to NBP) and regenerate that corner of the city extensively. 

I'd be happy with all 3 options, but would prefer option 3 as it would be a spectacular setting and could have a massively transformational affect on that area of the city.

5 minutes ago, TomYam said:

Except Leazes Terrace is Grade I listed and regarded as one if the finest residential building in the UK. It has the highest possible protection after World Heritage status. 

All arguments about extending the East Stand and encroaching into Leazes Terrace space and light is a wilful waste of time. Much the same can be said for St James Terrace eveb though it's only Grade II listed. Not only do all those building have Listing protection, but they also sit in a Conservation Area. Together they form Newcastle's finest collection of buildings outside Graingertown and the Tyne bridges. 

For those that keep mentioning building on Leazes Park, that will not happen either - and nor should it. Leazes Park is the only city centre Park and it is Grade II listed and is part if the Conservation Area that includes the aforementioned buildings in Leazes Village. 

1. Stay at St.James's Park and possibly make some (probably modest) increases to the capacity.

2. Move to Castle Leazes or other town moor land (subject to Freemen and council approval) with St.James's being laid out as part of an extended Leazes Park.

3. IF available, relocate to the Arena site. The club could then buy up parcels of land  (possibly all the way to NBP) and regenerate that corner of the city extensively. 

I'd be happy with all 3 options, but would prefer option 3 as it would be a spectacular setting and could have a massively transformational affect on that area of the city.

I support option 3. Regeneration and still an easy walk from central station.

56 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

22 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I completely agree. Wednesday night wouldn't have been the same in some corporate placca heap. 

We upgrade our house, let's not replace it. The cost is worth it

This is pure speculation that a new stadium would be definitely be worse than SJP for atmosphere. It's been well discussed on here how poor the acoustics are within the current design. And it wasn't the stadium that made Wednesday night so special, it was the people within it.

Really hope they find a way to expand SJP as it is. Hate to break it to the fans that want a new stadium. I don’t think you’d get planning to build a brand new plastic fantastic stadium on leazes park. 

I hear many people saying build on the arena site. That’s owned by The Anschutz Corporation who paid $240M for it (that was only for the stadium and car park. More land would also need to be purchased). Our owners aren’t going to spend that much to knock it down and build a brand new stadium on the same plot. Any feasibility study would report that it wouldn’t be feasible. A feasibility study would suggest building on cheaper land etc.

People might not like hearing this but there are three options:

1) Spending a lot to expand the current stadium.

2) Leaving everything as it is.

3) Building a new stadium out of town, with park and rides set up like every other modern stadium.

I really really really hope the people calling for a new stadium fully understand what they are asking for. You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone.

I for one would be gutted if we left SJP for an out of town stadium. Life and soul would be sucked out of the club.

1 minute ago, Toon1892 said:

Really hope they find a way to expand SJP as it is. Hate to break it to the fans that want a new stadium. I don’t think you’d get planning to build a brand new plastic fantastic stadium on leazes park. 

I hear many people saying build on the arena site. That’s owned by The Anschutz Corporation who paid $240M for it (that was only for the stadium and car park. More land would also need to be purchased). Our owners aren’t going to spend that much to knock it down and build a brand new stadium on the same plot. Any feasibility study would report that it wouldn’t be feasible. A feasibility study would suggest building on cheaper land etc.

People might not like hearing this but there are three options:

1) Spending a lot to expand the current stadium.

2) Leaving everything as it is.

3) Building a new stadium out of town, with park and rides set up like every other modern stadium.

I really really really hope the people calling for a new stadium fully understand what they are asking for. You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone.

I for one would be gutted if we left SJP for an out of town stadium. Life and soul would be sucked out of the club.

Moving out of the city centre is totally out of the question and therefore if modest expansion is the only option then so be it. I really don't think that it is though. I would not be surprised if the speed of the club's rise has shocked the owners and they may be having a serious rethink of it's potential and therefore how much they are prepared to plough into it.

20 minutes ago, TomYam said:

It's still the same. They can be demolished or moved or changed with council consent. Just highly unlikely to get that consent.

2 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

New stadium for me. Either Leazes or Arena. Use the Tottenham stadium as a starting point and make it 10x better.

Modern stadium. Modern amenities. Let's give bands/musicians/WWE/boxing/NFL a reason to come to the north east. Level up the region. Bring money into the region. Didn't they say the PSG game brought in £4m to the local economy? Let's get Taylor fucking Swift here, man. Swifties spend money!

This is everything I hate. 

Taylor fucking Swift. Give me Ryan Taylor owa the wall instead. 

Edited by Danh1

2 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

This is so sad ? 

The arena site feels like there would be an awful lot to sort with transportation logistics.

An awful lot of Matchday traffic comes in via the Redheugh Bridge and Scotswood Rd. If they were both near enough on top of any new stadium, people coming that way would have to stop and park up a fair way earlier, and a fair bit out of the city centre.

Maybe they could go past the stadium and into town, but it feels counterintuitive as it puts loads of time on your trip home.

Sure something could be come with, but I personally find Matchday park and ride type stuff pretty depressing.

13 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Moving out of the city centre is totally out of the question and therefore if modest expansion is the only option then so be it. I really don't think that it is though. I would not be surprised if the speed of the club's rise has shocked the owners and they may be having a serious rethink of it's potential and therefore how much they are prepared to plough into it.

It’s out of the question to me and you but we aren’t the ones doing the feasibility study. All I’m saying is I think we should be careful what we wish for.

I know I’m biased but as part of city/ stadium experiences in the premier league, SJP is the best I’ve been to. 

12 minutes ago, SteV said:

The arena site feels like there would be an awful lot to sort with transportation logistics.

An awful lot of Matchday traffic comes in via the Redheugh Bridge and Scotswood Rd. If they were both near enough on top of any new stadium, people coming that way would have to stop and park up a fair way earlier, and a fair bit out of the city centre.

Maybe they could go past the stadium and into town, but it feels counterintuitive as it puts loads of time on your trip home.

Sure something could be come with, but I personally find Matchday park and ride type stuff pretty depressing.

Why wouldn't they park where they already do ?