St James' Park

Delima

51 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Just wait till it’s opened and all the click bait you tube videos about “small store” “small store, adidas deal not as first appeared” and other shite.

Should have bought the Barker and Stonehouse building and turned it into a MEGASTORE

53 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Yes and it's absolutely shite.  Choice on offer is horrendous.

Having just been to it in October...oof, it really is a bit of a weird store/sad store. Felt very cheap, music was fucking blaring. 

56 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We have a club store? :lol:

The store is such a shit experience man.

I'm sure when I was younger then store was rammed with Newcastle paraphernalia, bags/pens/caps etc.

It's just walls of kits(not necessarily a bad thing) and whatever shit Castore put our crest on to try and flog old stock off.

Resembles a well known UK high street sports retailer tbh, even the constant SALE, CHEPEAST EVA! shit I get every week from them via email.

I dreamed as a kid, from th early days supporting us to visit our official club store (we visited the Liverpool one with my brother in the summer of 97, but never made it up to Newcastle :-/ ) and then some 27 years later I am hearing some drum and bass blasting and waddling through castore shit :lol: there was nothing much for me to get my little one outside of just the usual kit and jackets and such! I wanted to get him some random stuff for his room.

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

The store is such a shit experience man.

I'm sure when I was younger then store was rammed with Newcastle paraphernalia, bags/pens/caps etc.

It's just walls of kits(not necessarily a bad thing) and whatever shit Castore put our crest on to try and flog old stock off.

Resembles a well known UK high street sports retailer tbh, even the constant SALE, CHEPEAST EVA! shit I get every week from them via email.

Yes, this. I wanted to get him some random paraphernalia 

Just now, Kanji said:

I dreamed as a kid, from th early days supporting us to visit our official club store (we visited the Liverpool one with my brother in the summer of 97, but never made it up to Newcastle :-/ ) and then some 27 years later I am hearing some drum and bass blasting and waddling through castore shit :lol: there was nothing much for me to get my little one outside of just the usual kit and jackets and such! I wanted to get him some random stuff for his room.

Club store doesn't even have a sound system I think, just a giant Bluetooth speaker at the doors [emoji38]

Think I'd rather take a note out of sunluns book and just close the store through the week!

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's genuinely depressing when you think about all the class stuff we used to sell, and what other clubs do.

Compare to American sports and it's more ridiculous still.

Japan was class for this as well.

1 minute ago, NSG said:

I used to work in the Monument Mall shop back in the day with @bowlingcrofty.

Some of the shit we sold was superb.

Weirdly, Backpage seems to have a load of new old stock it seems, or at least very close to the stuff I remember.

I can feel myself moving over to the dark side re the stadium debate; i.e. in favour of moving. If we've established that the whole notion of going to the match has become corrupted by (among other things): the inability to choose your seat; selfish troglodytes who refuse to accommodate progression; 35th minute pints, Bejewelled; and everything else to do with modern society - then it feels like there's nothing left to save. :lol: The sentiment is for something that's already gone so we may as well step into the brave new world. 

Fender was a bit of an eye-opener too. If we want a venue that's going to be a true economic behemoth for the city, as opposed to only a football stadium, SJP isn't going to fit the bill. 

There's a significant number of caveats - the main one being that it must stay in the city - but I'm leaning ever closer to "fuck it."

1 hour ago, El Prontonise said:

Yes and it's absolutely shite.  Choice on offer is horrendous.

It's awful. I went to the Hearts one again a couple of years ago and even their range of souvenirs, clothing, etc put the Newcastle one to shame. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Crystal Palace store is much, much better than ours. They even have one in Bromley shopping centre. 

Spurs is like comparing Apple store to Home Bargains (or Sports Direct). 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

51 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Club store doesn't even have a sound system I think, just a giant Bluetooth speaker at the doors [emoji38]

Think I'd rather take a note out of sunluns book and just close the store through the week!

Maybe a few bluetooth speakers it was then, found myself yelling to my wife :lol: 

the POS system was absolutely archaic (as in the stadium). 

Sorry for this long winded post ( especially seen as its my first one!) 

I've just read the last few pages of this.  I've seen loads of talk on fb about the stadium and building next to St James or down the Quay where the old arena is and like Yorkie above i was against it but if its going to happen then i think it need to be outside of the city - maybe Gosforth park where our minority owner already own?

But,  i still not sure about this "we'll fill 85k stadium" etc etc. Granted depending on the design, concerts, other sports et al will be easier to put on but we've managed the rugby league at St James without any problems so now i leaning more back to staying!

I also worry when thing start going down hill, which they will - do we really want me and 40k diehards cheering on the team in a 85k stadium cause that's what happened not so long a go under FM!! There a seat next to me which must be owned by a company ,,,, its always filled for man city, Liverpool arsenal at home but had no one in it the last 3 games so i would say its already started to some degree!

I’m all for a brand new stadium, provided it’s in a central location. I’m of the mind of prioritising future generations of Newcastle fans who will be able to benefit from having the best football facilities we can offer, and hopefully a better chance of getting a ticket through expanded capacity.

38 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I’m all for a brand new stadium, provided it’s in a central location. I’m of the mind of prioritising future generations of Newcastle fans who will be able to benefit from having the best football facilities we can offer, and hopefully a better chance of getting a ticket through expanded capacity.

If we left the city centre it would be extremely detrimental. Many away fans put Newcastle as the top away day experience as all the bars and restaurants are so close, oh and that the Geordies are fucking class, which we are to be fair.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Loved that shop, those were proper glory days for the high street 

It used to be quiet compared to the others. The one in Eldon Square was such a weird layout, and very cramped.

I don’t know why, but they always seemed to have the stuff on sale there from the previous season, so you could always pick up a bargain.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, Golden Dragon 1976 said:

Sorry for this long winded post ( especially seen as its my first one!) 

I've just read the last few pages of this.  I've seen loads of talk on fb about the stadium and building next to St James or down the Quay where the old arena is and like Yorkie above i was against it but if its going to happen then i think it need to be outside of the city - maybe Gosforth park where our minority owner already own?

But,  i still not sure about this "we'll fill 85k stadium" etc etc. Granted depending on the design, concerts, other sports et al will be easier to put on but we've managed the rugby league at St James without any problems so now i leaning more back to staying!

I also worry when thing start going down hill, which they will - do we really want me and 40k diehards cheering on the team in a 85k stadium cause that's what happened not so long a go under FM!! There a seat next to me which must be owned by a company ,,,, its always filled for man city, Liverpool arsenal at home but had no one in it the last 3 games so i would say its already started to some degree!

I’ll forgive you as guessing by your handle you are a long suffering fan and expect the worse. However I think you are not grasping the intentions of our new owners. Like I said I appreciate why you may not but things are never going back to the dark days for the foreseeable future. 

Exhibit A. The new owners have spent the maximum amount of money the league rules are allowing us every window. Exhibit B they’ve overpaid for land to create a temporary fan park. Exhibit C they are doing everything in their power to allow us to spend further. Exhibit D the in depth feasibility studies being carried to expand current/build a new ground so big its beyond your imagination that we could fill it despite us having 30-35k ST holders and 75-90k memberships sold. Don’t base your judgements on a seat sold that’s possibly being touted on a secondary website (email the club and ask the question as I know plenty of friends who will take it as a season ticket). Go and visit Man City and the surrounding area (if you haven’t already) and it will give you some kind of idea what our owners are planning.

However let’s say you are right and we are left with a brand new 85K stadium with only 52k in attendance. The acoustics of a new stadium will create a better noise than the current one. This was evident when I attended a MLS game and 2 NUFC pre season friendlies in the USA this summer. 2 out of 3 had the upper bowl empty yet despite the attendance being under 52k (I think the MLS game was only around 20k) the noise retention levels were much greater than at SJP in stadiums far from the peak of design due to their own age but clearly a leap ahead of SJPs in its current form.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Everyone at school had bed sheets, posters, loads of kit, bags, stationary, all sorts of stuff.

Player photos, Monty the magpie soft toys, kit shaped cushions and lamps. 

I had one of those clocks that was a wall wrist watch too thinking back.