St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

8 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

We could fill 70k every week now if we had the capacity, as a mid table team. Every match has been sold out and apparently the ballot success rate is around 25%.

I'm am not sure - I think it all depends on how we perform on the pitch

IMO we have to move to the arena site, it’s a perfect location. I would love to move up to Leazes Park but can’t see it happening. Get another bridge like the Millennium over the Tyne for access for the southern Mags etc.. there I’ve sorted it pay me!

16 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

IMO we have to move to the arena site, it’s a perfect location. I would love to move up to Leazes Park but can’t see it happening. Get another bridge like the Millennium over the Tyne for access for the southern Mags etc.. there I’ve sorted it pay me!

wey it’s far from perfect because there’s fuck all down there! the surrounding area would need some serious investment and regeneration.

59 minutes ago, duo said:

I'm am not sure - I think it all depends on how we perform on the pitch

We hadn’t won a home game since early December yet my mates couldn’t get tickets for Wolves and have missed out on West Ham.

We’ve always filled the ground pretty much as it is for years without being any good. You’d easily fill a bigger stadium more often than not and don’t forget you could increase the away end also.

We aren’t even at the phase when we are attracting some of the best players yet which will be in around 4-5yrs which would probably coincide with the completion of a new stadium.

8 minutes ago, Big River said:

wey it’s far from perfect because there’s fuck all down there! the surrounding area would need some serious investment and regeneration.

Im not in favour of moving, but that sounds more like an opportunity, than a problem.

4 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Im not in favour of moving, but that sounds more like an opportunity, than a problem.

absolutely! just saying, it’s nowhere near perfect as it stands.

The current arena is already on the edge of a huge drop down to Skinnerburn Rd, can’t see how you move much north if the arena, you can’t go east and to west there are businesses. Access is also rubbish. Surely it would cost an absolute fortune to make that site work for say a 70k stadium. And, like it or not the location is far inferior to the current site.

That part of town struggles when there’s a full house at the arena, if it were x5 and more capacity wise it would completely clog up the place. The road layouts/ pedestrian access would need a massive revamp.

59 minutes ago, Big River said:

I’d imagine it would get it right? And that’s great for the city. 

19 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The current arena is already on the edge of a huge drop down to Skinnerburn Rd, can’t see how you move much north if the arena, you can’t go east and to west there are businesses. Access is also rubbish. Surely it would cost an absolute fortune to make that site work for say a 70k stadium. And, like it or not the location is far inferior to the current site.

That part of town struggles when there’s a full house at the arena, if it were x5 and more capacity wise it would completely clog up the place. The road layouts/ pedestrian access would need a massive revamp.

Why do people keep saying ‘access to the arena is rubbish’ as if Barrack Road is a multi-lane superhighway?  SJP is a pain to get to as well

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Saves me having to find a parking space for the Bugatti. I'm all for it.

Word

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Why do people keep saying ‘access to the arena is rubbish’ as if Barrack Road is a multi-lane superhighway?  SJP is a pain to get to as well

There’s Haymarket Bus Station, Eldon Sq Bus Station. Haymarket, Monument and St James Metro Station. Theres multiple car parks/ multi Story car parks all close to SJP. It’s an absolute piece of piss to get to. The train station and metro are almost as close to SJP as they are to the arena, with pubs on the way.

For the arena you have the train station, a couple of multi story car parks and Newcastle College and I guess the Discovery Museum (which is closer to SJP). 

Getting the bus into town from north of Newcastle and you’re looking at a pain in the arse walk to the arena and back.

Personally, I’d absolutely hate moving to the arena site, think it would be a huge backwards step. It’s an undeveloped area for a reason. 

37 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Yeah that land is a complete none starter. Not sure why so many are getting their hopes up over it.

Realistically (and people won’t like hearing this) there are two options:

1) Staying at SJP.

2) Having an out of town stadium with a bigger capacity.

Edited by Toon1892

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

There’s Haymarket Bus Station, Eldon Sq Bus Station. Haymarket, Monument and St James Metro Station. Theres multiple car parks/ multi Story car parks all close to SJP. It’s an absolute piece of piss to get to. The train station and metro are almost as close to SJP as they are to the arena, with pubs on the way.

For the arena you have the train station, a couple of multi story car parks and Newcastle College and I guess the Discovery Museum (which is closer to SJP). 

Getting the bus into town from north of Newcastle and you’re looking at a pain in the arse walk to the arena and back.

Personally, I’d absolutely hate moving to the arena site, think it would be a huge backwards step. It’s an undeveloped area for a reason. 

Yes, all the industry like the old lead works fucked off…Arena site is ideal and would completely regenerate the area.

2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Yes, all the industry like the old lead works fucked off…Arena site is ideal and would completely regenerate the area.

That’s really the job of the Government and City Council. I used to work at Business Pk just further along.

It absolutely needs investment and regeneration. Shoe horning a 70k stadium into that space isn’t the right solution for me.

42 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

If you’re from the west of Newcastle - ie where most of Newcastle actually is - then SJP is a pain in the arse to get to and from on match days.

The access to the arena is no worse - the walk from Central station is hardly more difficult than monument to SJP

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Sad indictment of the modern times when people are making a short stroll to the Arena site feel like it’s a trek over the Andes

Or you’re just completely missing the point?