St James' Park

Delima

5 hours ago, Toon1892 said:

I didn’t think Tottenhams new stadium was that great when I went for the game earlier this season. Barely any space inside, found it difficult to actually get anywhere the space was that small. It definitely didn’t leave me wanting to go back to it. 

Not much character either. When all of the old English grounds are knocked down I think I will miss them. 

When you say ‘barely any space inside’, are you talking about the concourses?

If so I’m confused as they’re absolutely enormous compared to ‘old English grounds’ like Burnley, Leeds or Sheff Wed?

29 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Wouldn’t moving to the arena site just rip the heart out of the city centre on match day?

I don't see that personally, it's like an extra 10/20 mins walk to get there max.

Edited by El Prontonise

20 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Wouldn’t moving to the arena site just rip the heart out of the city centre on match day?

Yeah - if we move it has to be in the City Centre

3 minutes ago, duo said:

I agree, whilst a new stadium would bring so many benefits the prospect of moving out of the city horrifies me, I can only imagine the economic damage that it has the potential to inflict on the city centre. 

1 hour ago, duo said:

2 hours ago, Hudson said:

No.  SJP is no more the ‘city centre’ than the arena is.  It’s far less of a pain in the arse to than SJP from most of the watering holes in the city

IMG_7594.thumb.jpeg.cf775c0d739415ec1bbb55959f977ad5.jpeg

1 hour ago, PCW1983 said:

I agree, whilst a new stadium would bring so many benefits the prospect of moving out of the city horrifies me, I can only imagine the economic damage that it has the potential to inflict on the city centre. 

No one has ever said about moving out of the City Centre, just about the Arena or Leazes Park Sites - both are in the City Centre!

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No.  SJP is no more the ‘city centre’ than the arena is.  It’s far less of a pain in the arse to than SJP from most of the watering holes in the city

you literally circled the train station, The city centre is greys monument. not like it really matters though, it would just shift where fans drink on match days to a different part of the city

• No need to destroy a park, although I wish NUFC would take over the park and stop it being a run down, rat infested dump.
  • No need to build on a site that used to have a leadworks and is earmarked for housing with funding secured anyway.
  • 10mins walk from the current site.
  • No usage by any citizens at all, just a small area used part of the year for cows.

428652526_716468960644954_6420827256414995740_n.thumb.jpg.58985df5196a41843651ced8f8c96673.jpg

What do you think is more likely to get council approval and minimal resistance from the public?

Could even argue PIF would fund the tunnelling to have the metro tunnel run further under barrack road and add a new stop ( The metro tracks run to where shearers statue used to be, that small building next to it is a fire escape from the metro tunnel.

it's not like its far. plenty of room for a stadium and some hotels or whatever with minimal impact on locals could barely any buildings are around their and it's next to noisy roads anyway.

Edited by Arknor

7 minutes ago, Arknor said:

you literally circled the train station, The city centre is greys monument. not like it really matters though, it would just shift where fans drink on match days to a different part of the city

• No need to destroy a park, although I wish NUFC would take over the park and stop it being a run down, rat infested dump.
  • No need to build on a site that used to have a leadworks and is earmarked for housing with funding secured anyway.
  • 10mins walk from the current site.
  • No usage by any citizens at all, just a small area used part of the year for cows.

428652526_716468960644954_6420827256414995740_n.thumb.jpg.58985df5196a41843651ced8f8c96673.jpg

What do you think is more likely to get council approval and minimal resistance from the public?

More watering holes at the bottom end than the top end of town :)

I suspect that the council are more likely to approve regeneration of a brownfield, not a greenfield site - and the public resistance is likely to be minimal.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

More watering holes at the bottom end than the top end of town :)

I suspect that the council are more likely to approve regeneration of a brownfield, not a greenfield site - and the public resistance is likely to be minimal.  

Have you seen the amount of green sites around Newcastle that had new build housing estates on them in the last couple of years? even farmland along some of the wagonways I cycle is now housing estates

I'm sure they aren't going to cry about a small moor with no use from the public anyway.

That brownfield site was a leadworks for something like 223 years and massively contaminated all the soil.
I'd be surprised if they allowed any buildings with deep foundations that could lead to contamination of the river or water table

16 minutes ago, Arknor said:

Have you seen the amount of green sites around Newcastle that had new build housing estates on them in the last couple of years? even farmland along some of the wagonways I cycle is now housing estates

I'm sure they aren't going to cry about a small moor with no use from the public anyway.

That brownfield site was a leadworks for something like 223 years and massively contaminated all the soil.
I'd be surprised if they allowed any buildings with deep foundations that could lead to contamination of the river or water table

Excavated material is treatable; it is just at a cost.  If PIF are serious I don’t see why that would be a problem.

Not sure how old you are, but I can remember the ‘Friends of the Town Moor’ brigade back in 1997 - despite popular backing from the support for a move from SJP, those fuckers didn’t half kick up a stink. 

edit: that last paragraph sounds like I’m being sarky re your age, but that’s not the intention :) 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Could we not move The Strawberry brick-by-brick to a more convenient location?

Beamish gets my vote

Tbf I’ve never, ever drank in the Strawberry on a match day.  Just looks heaving.  Used to drink in there a fair bit on non-match days though if me and my mates were on a Haymarket crawl

Take down Eldon Square and Eldon Garden, move them brick by brick to Sunderland and put it in the actual city centre while improving the place immeasurably 

7 hours ago, SteV said:

When you say ‘barely any space inside’, are you talking about the concourses?

If so I’m confused as they’re absolutely enormous compared to ‘old English grounds’ like Burnley, Leeds or Sheff Wed?

Well the away concourse is tiny. That’s the only one I’ve seen.

People talking about the Arena site like it’s on top of the Cheviot and getting there on foot would be a feat of human endeavour compared to strolling to SJP.

Ooooh. How could I have a pint at Rosie’s if I’ve got to put my mountaineering kit on and trek all the way down to the Arena. Will there be Sherpa’s to guide the way ?

Regardless of whether it’s a viable site for a football stadium or not, it’s still a large city centre site, close to transport links and a plethora of peeve & bait options 

Edited by bobbydazzla

We all know we’re not moving don’t we?

Is it just killing spare time by drawing circles on maps for the best place for a stadium that isn’t going to happen?

19 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Can't believe someone just complained over where the city centre is by about 100m then proposed a new stadium an extra 15 mins outside it ffs

Out of curiosity are @Toon1892 and @Tsunami season ticket holders? 

Yes. Out of interest are you not a season ticket holder?

Fine with stadium moving if it stays in city centre. The plot next to the arena is a nine starter though for several reasons. So just trying to save a few people some time.

Just now, Toon1892 said:

Yes. Out of interest are you not a season ticket holder?

Fine with stadium moving if it stays in city centre. The plot next to the arena is a nine starter though for several reasons. So just trying to save a few people some time.

Ex season ticket, no intentions of going so zero vested interest unlike you. Staying put conveniently helps you but stops any hopes of the club making significant progress. Not to mention the absolute meltdown of potentially displacing thousands and locking thousands more out for a few seasons just to add 8000 seats. Anywhere else in the city centre has the same issues or arguably far more as has been repeatedly explained. 

8 hours ago, Hudson said:

Probably an extra 10/15 minute walk from my regular pre match pub so wouldn't change my matchday habits. In fact if they built a new stadium at the Arena site and could get the turnstile queues down tomthe same levels as before this season I wouldn't even need to leave the pub any earlier.

13 minutes ago, RS said:

We all know we’re not moving don’t we?

Is it just killing spare time by drawing circles on maps for the best place for a stadium that isn’t going to happen?

Yeah but it's tremendous fun looking at the overlays in Google maps.

And the brick by brick crack still brings a snigger tbf, but I'm a proper bairn [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Probably an extra 10/15 minute walk from my regular pre match pub so wouldn't change my matchday habits. In fact if they built a new stadium at the Arena site and could get the turnstile queues down tomthe same levels as before this season I wouldn't even need to leave the pub any earlier.

Exactly. Would just leave places at 2.15 instead of 2.30. It's really not a big deal.

15 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Ex season ticket, no intentions of going so zero vested interest unlike you. Staying put conveniently helps you but stops any hopes of the club making significant progress. Not to mention the absolute meltdown of potentially displacing thousands and locking thousands more out for a few seasons just to add 8000 seats. Anywhere else in the city centre has the same issues or arguably far more as has been repeatedly explained. 

If you have zero interest in going why should your opinion matter on where the stadium should be? You don’t need to think about the logistics or anything. 

If the club wanted to progress they’d build an out of town stadium. There is nowhere else. Yes I want to stop that. What is there to argue about?