St James' Park

Delima

I really believe they have a deal lined up.

Naming the stadium 'sports direct area' will take away the animosity towards any new brand coming in and renaming the stadium out of the blue. Hence the strange the decision of putting up the 'Sportdirect.com @St.James Park' signs a week before they rename the stadium all together. Think about it.

Except this has been planned for a while now.

Times reporter defending the editor who broke the embargo alluded to the fact that they'd know before today that the change was going to happen.

They've not only 'rebranded' uh football club. But in one fell swoop have also changed the face of the entire city. A city that has been around since the 11th century.

Wish the Cooncil would step in and say something.

Guest bimpy474

Really, i would have thought Dve Whelan wouldn't have sold to him, or is that why Whelan hates him, hostile takeover and all that.

Whelan doesn't own it.

Didn't he start the compnay though ?

Guest bimpy474

They must have someone lined up, why get consultants in, rename it Sports Direct Arena, piss off the fans for a bit, let the new name be known a few months later.

what makes you sure they had consultants in?

Said so in the article, if you believe it like.

I really believe they have a deal lined up.

Naming the stadium 'sports direct area' will take away the animosity towards any new brand coming in and renaming the stadium out of the blue. Hence the strange the decision of putting up the 'Sportdirect.com @St.James Park' signs a week before they rename the stadium all together. Think about it.

Except this has been planned for a while now.

Times reporter defending the editor who broke the embargo alluded to the fact that they'd know before today that the change was going to happen.

Tony Evans is very big on the links of football clubs to the local community, doesn't surprise me that he's getting his two-penneth in, look forward to The Game podcast coverage of this.

They must have someone lined up, why get consultants in, rename it Sports Direct Arena, p*ss off the fans for a bit, let the new name be known a few months later.

Like i said, its to take the animosity away from the new sponsors. Once the stadium is called something else i.e. Qatar Investments arena , no-one is going to level any abuse towards them like they would if it just came out of the blue and sport direct arena didn't precede it.

“What is a club in any case?

Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

- Sir Bobby Robson

They must have someone lined up, why get consultants in, rename it Sports Direct Arena, p*ss off the fans for a bit, let the new name be known a few months later.

Like i said, its to take the animosity away from the new sponsors. Once the stadium is called something else i.e. Qatar Investments arena , no-one is going to level any abuse towards them like they would if it just came out of the blue and sport direct arena didn't precede it.

my thoughts as well, not as if Ashleys not used to taking shit

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

- Sir Bobby Robson

He'll turn in his grave at this, there's no way he would have agreed to be party to it. :(

- Sir Bobby Robson

:love: :weep:

Guest bimpy474

Sorry mate, i just spotted your post, i agree it takes the animosity away from the real name, if there is one obviously.

It’s a small boy clambering up Sports Direct Arena steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

- Sir Bobby Robson

Fixed that for him.

They must have someone lined up, why get consultants in, rename it Sports Direct Arena, piss off the fans for a bit, let the new name be known a few months later.

what makes you sure they had consultants in?

Said so in the article, if you believe it like.

thats my point. probably just shifting the blame