St James' Park

Delima

Brian McNally. Top man.

McNallyMirror Brian McNally

This dreadful decision will spark mass outrage in Toon Army ranks & I for one will still call it St. James' Park in all my reporting. #NUFC

Good.

No doubt Ashley will try and sue him.

nah just a simple ban for the Sunday Mirror

From a marketing perspective, I'm not sure what sort of brand would want to be associated with this. If you were the guy spending Pepsi or Samsungs ad/sponsor budget, would you really see that much benefit from this? Its not like you are funding or sponsoring a new ground like with Arsenal and Emirates. This could backfire and damage your brand. It could fail to gain any traction. Whats the advantage that you wouldnt get from a simple sign or ad board?

Guest bimpy474

They must have someone lined up, why get consultants in, rename it Sports Direct Arena, piss off the fans for a bit, let the new name be known a few months later.

what makes you sure they had consultants in?

Said so in the article, if you believe it like.

thats my point. probably just shifting the blame

I dont think Ashley cares, he knows he is hated, water of a fat ducks back with him, he'll take the flak and wont bat an eyelid, he doesn't talk to us anyway so what does it matter to him....what a tosser.

From a marketing perspective, I'm not sure what sort of brand would want to be associated with this. If you were the guy spending Pepsi or Samsungs ad/sponsor budget, would you really see that much benefit from this? Its not like you are funding or sponsoring a new ground like with Arsenal and Emirates. This could backfire and damage your brand. It could fail to gain any traction. Whats the advantage that you wouldnt get from a simple sign or ad board?

ad boards don't get named in media reportage the world over

B&W stripes will be eliminated this summer you just watch. I am thinking we'll get one stripe or it will be something stupid like harlequin.

Why? Because it will help sell shirts in North America and Asia.

Don't be so dramatic. If they change the colours of the team i will drink my own piss.

Guest Geordiesned

More from Brian McNally:

"They know the price of everything and the value of nothing" is a famous old phrase that perfectly sums up the present #nufc regime.

This dreadful decision will spark mass outrage in Toon Army ranks & I for one will still call it St. James' Park in all my reporting.

#NUFC

Why is it with Ashley that just when you think things are going well he always kicks the fans in the teeth? Big downer for all #NUFC lovers.

Sadly,not for the first time #nufc fans have been lied to.

Llambias assured fans St. James' Park name would NOT be ditched on his watch.

The #NUFC statement implies they may look to do a deal offering SJP naming rights and shirt sponsorship with Northern Rock deal up in May.

Surely this will prove to be the straw that broke the camel's back for #nufc fans? It dishonours a pledge Llambias made on the SJP name

He's spot on with the first point.

Bingo. The whole thing is tacky.

Even if you do get a company interested it'd be some two-bit brand of a similar ilk to SD happy to have any kind of publicity, good or bad. Drop in the ocean financially. Hence why I just don't think they have any interest in selling the rights on.

Guest bimpy474

Stadium name being broadcast to millions on overseas TV must be attractive to some companies, dunno which ones mind.

More from Brian McNally:

"They know the price of everything and the value of nothing" is a famous old phrase that perfectly sums up the present #nufc regime.

This dreadful decision will spark mass outrage in Toon Army ranks & I for one will still call it St. James' Park in all my reporting.

#NUFC

Why is it with Ashley that just when you think things are going well he always kicks the fans in the teeth? Big downer for all #NUFC lovers.

Sadly,not for the first time #nufc fans have been lied to.

Llambias assured fans St. James' Park name would NOT be ditched on his watch.

The #NUFC statement implies they may look to do a deal offering SJP naming rights and shirt sponsorship with Northern Rock deal up in May.

Surely this will prove to be the straw that broke the camel's back for #nufc fans? It dishonours a pledge Llambias made on the SJP name

He's spot on with the first point.

Contrast that with:

SunSteveBrenner Steve Brenner

Ashley feels they had no choice if #nufc are to compete at the top. Struggled to get investors.If Chelsea are doing it why not Newcastle?

It's just to boost the coffers. It will always be St James' Park to the fans whatever. So there. And if it helps win something? Ohhhh #nufc

Interesting to see though if adverse reaction puts off potential sponsors. #nufc

I'm sorry but if people scream 'sack the board' while a decent new look team is third in League, they need to look at the bigger picture.

B&W stripes will be eliminated this summer you just watch. I am thinking we'll get one stripe or it will be something stupid like harlequin.

Don't be so dramatic. If they change the colours of the team i will drink my own p*ss.

Not changing the colors - changing the pattern by de-emphasizing the stripes.

As much as I hate Dave Whelan, I do think the only way of getting it reversed is some sustained chanting advertising JJB or JD Sports. Ashley doesn't care if you sing Sports Direct is fucking shit, any publicity is good publicity for him. But if the upshot is his rivals name being heard worldwide, that is something that would hit him. And it would nix any future change as well, the implication that if Pepsi bought the rights we'd chant about Coke until they turned it back.

As much as I hate Dave Whelan, I do think the only way of getting it reversed is some sustained chanting advertising JJB or JD Sports. Ashley doesn't care if you sing Sports Direct is f***ing s***, any publicity is good publicity for him. But if the upshot is his rivals name being heard worldwide, that is something that would hit him. And it would nix any future change as well, the implication that if Pepsi bought the rights we'd chant about Coke until they turned it back.

Mike Ashley doesn't care full stop.

Don't be so dramatic. If they change the colours of the team i will drink my own p*ss.

Not changing the colors - changing the pattern by de-emphasizing the stripes.

Sorry its late, didn't read it properly :lol:

Well they have sort of de-emphasized the stripes already .

Guest bimpy474

Tbh, the kit change isn't that far fetched, a few years back i'd have fucked me dar if someone correctly called that we'd change the name of the stadium.

Not me mate, when clubs started to be operated like businessess that was when i started to worry, for me it was when Karren Brady went to Birmingham, nowt to do with football but all to do with profit, football sold its soul a long time ago, Sky's money lead it too, the best and the worst thing to ever happen in equal measures.

As much as I hate Dave Whelan, I do think the only way of getting it reversed is some sustained chanting advertising JJB or JD Sports. Ashley doesn't care if you sing Sports Direct is fucking shit, any publicity is good publicity for him. But if the upshot is his rivals name being heard worldwide, that is something that would hit him. And it would nix any future change as well, the implication that if Pepsi bought the rights we'd chant about Coke until they turned it back.

Just a pity he owns large stakes in JJB and JD.

I really believe they have a deal lined up.

Naming the stadium 'sports direct area' will take away the animosity towards any new brand coming in and renaming the stadium out of the blue. Hence the strange the decision of putting up the 'Sportdirect.com @St.James Park' signs a week before they rename the stadium all together. Think about it.

Nee chance. :lol:

It's becoming blatantly obvious we're only a minor concern to Ashley, his first and foremost priority is the marketing and promotion of Sports Direct.

Trying to find a positive from the situation though, it's pointless for a company like SD to waste money (in this case by missing out on income from other companies who would pay) on trying to promote itself in the UK. Everyone is aware of the company here, and due to the bargain basement nature of the business, extra promotion is very unlikely to bring in extra income; people shop there for one reason and one reason alone, it's dirt cheap. There's also been lots of talk about Ashley looking to move in to foreign markets with SD. With that in mind, maybe he'll be more motivated to make the club a success, especially considering how well we've started this season, if it gives him massive opportunities to make a name for SD in those foreign markets.

On the other hand, he's just as likely to be happy enough to continue profiting from the sales of our star players and is content with the lesser level of advertising a club that simply makes up the numbers in this league will provide him. Oh well.

Someone get on the phone to whoever put the Shearer shirt up on the Angel and send him an XXXXXL "Sports Direct is f***ing s***" t-shirt.

We should litter the city with 'em. Paint it on the road outside the fucking stadium if we have to.

Someone get on the phone to whoever put the Shearer shirt up on the Angel and send him an XXXXXL "Sports Direct is f***ing s***" t-shirt.

We should litter the city with 'em. Paint it on the road outside the fucking stadium if we have to.

I think a large scale t-shirt campaign would be a good thing, if someone were willing and able to sell them cheap enough. Which company is going to be wanting its potential customers wearing a "Your brand is shit" t-shirt?

Btw if the intention of all of this is to generate income, why is it that most static advertising hoardings that previously showed other brands have now been changed to SportsDirect.com? Why reduce advertising time/space on the new electronic board by putting SportsDirect.com on every 20 seconds? It sort of makes sense if you're putting advertising in new places such as the Gallowgate roof, or even branding the entire stadium name, but someone needs to explain to me how replacing 80% of the hoarding from paying companies to a company which pays nothing is good finance.

We should litter the city with 'em. Paint it on the road outside the f***ing stadium if we have to.

I think a large scale t-shirt campaign would be a good thing, if someone were willing and able to sell them cheap enough. Which company is going to be wanting its potential customers wearing a "Your brand is s***" t-shirt?

It's a good idea. The cunt would see it as good publicity though.