St James' Park

Delima

It's an incredible stadium; i'm immensely proud of it. It says a lot when i've lived in the city for a few years, seen it every day, owned a season ticket - yet i still get goosebumps when entering. It's part of the match for me; i love going in a bit early and just soaking it in for twenty minutes or so beforehand.

I know it's old news now but i fucking hate all the Sports Direct stickers. It's just beyond excessive. All the way around the back-seats of the East Stand and into the Gallowgate i could forgive; but as well as on the roof of the East Stand and all over the top of the Gallowgate; as well as all the other boardings (as well as the dugouts/tunnel/electronic advertising boards)... it's just ridiculous man. I get advertising, i understand branding and all that, but they really do take the piss by turning the stadium into a giant sticker book.

I can remember a picture that someone put on here (think it was you actually, Dave?) from the Leazes End; snapped just as the electronic boards were doing it's five-minutely Sports Direct homage. Seeing it all in one place at one time just proved what a pisstake it is.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6057/406971472.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6172/andh3qciaeqwh8.jpg

vs

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2915/newcastlestadiumaeriala.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/716/453200921317846325ab.jpg

Guest tollemache

I emailed the CEO of Wonga about a day or two before they announced they'd be renaming the stadium 'St. James' Park', posing as a marketing guy and suggesting they do just that. Got a reply from the CEO on the morning they renamed it saying my suggestion had been 'eerily interesting'.

Not saying I saved St. James' Park or anything - that's for you to say - but if I HAD saved St. James' Park, I'd be due quite a lot of adoration / thanks / gifts, wouldn't I?

Guest Howaythetoon

SJP is looking dated and tatty and that's without the SD crap. It needs some TLC all-round. I was in the platinum club end for the Everton match and some of the fixtures and fittings is starting to come away. The greyness of the place gives it a depressing look and feel. Compare to when it was revamped it looked absolutely stunning inside and out.

I emailed the CEO of Wonga about a day or two before they announced they'd be renaming the stadium 'St. James' Park', posing as a marketing guy and suggesting they do just that. Got a reply from the CEO on the morning they renamed it saying my suggestion had been 'eerily interesting'.

Not saying I saved St. James' Park or anything - that's for you to say - but if I HAD saved St. James' Park, I'd be due quite a lot of adoration / thanks / gifts, wouldn't I?

You really are Derek, aren't you? :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye right!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsmknzpS7t1r3gua1o1_400.jpg

Guest tollemache

removed my details etc

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: 10 October 2012 04:03

Subject: Re: Re Newcastle United sponsorship proposal. A missed opportunity?

To: Errol Damelin <[email protected]>

Bravo I say. Well played!

On 10 October 2012 01:16, Errol Damelin <[email protected]> wrote:

TOLLEMACHE, thanks for thinking of us and for reaching out. Your insight was eerily interesting.

Errol

Reply-To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Date: Monday, 8 October 2012 22:14

To: Errol Damelin <[email protected]>

Subject: Re Newcastle United sponsorship proposal. A missed opportunity?

Hi Errol,

As someone with a background in marketing and, somewhat obliquely, in football journalism, I can't help but notice that you're poised to generate a certain amount of negative publicity owing not only to the nature of Wonga's business but to preexisting sentimental attachment to the name of the stadium. I've discussed this with a few marketing colleagues and we think there is a rather obvious strategy that would not only sidestep the probable Tyne-Wear boycott and letter-writing campaigns, but generate an enormous amount of positive publicity and significantly boost Wonga's market share in the North-East of England.

The answer is simple, as far as I can tell: Simply buy the sponsorship rights, place your logo extremely prominently on the club's shirt, and rename the stadium "St. James' Park". Overnight, you'd be positioned as a friend of football, a white knight saving the club's history from desecration etc etc. The response from the North-East would be enormous and the gesture would receive widespread media coverage, going some way to offset the natural public aversion to anything seen as being akin to loan sharking.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it, if only from an marketing-academic point of view, even if you happen to disagree.

Good luck with the deal in any case,

TOLLEMACHE

Wonga.com Limited, registered in England & Wales with registered number 6374235 and registered office 88 Crawford Street, London W1H 2EJ Any communication sent by or on behalf of Wonga.com limited or any of its subsidiary, holding or affiliated companies or entities (together "Wonga") is confidential and maybe privileged or otherwise protected. If you receive it in error please inform us and then delete it from your system. You should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. Messages sent to and from Wonga may be monitored to ensure compliance with our internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free. Anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks.

SJP is looking dated and tatty and that's without the SD crap. It needs some TLC all-round. I was in the platinum club end for the Everton match and some of the fixtures and fittings is starting to come away. The greyness of the place gives it a depressing look and feel. Compare to when it was revamped it looked absolutely stunning inside and out.

Agreed, the externals could do with a wash too.

Guest Howaythetoon

'Dated and tatty'. Is that based entirely on some loose screws in the platinum club?

Nah, just looking around the place inside and out.

Its a great stadium of course, its our fucking home, and its class and all that, but it looks ugly and depressing these days with all that grey and rusting metal and windows that look like they've never been cleaned in years etc. etc.

Stadium maintenance costs are limited to new Sports Direct signage only.

Remove the SD shit from the roof and fronts, place a crest on the front of the Gallowgate and generally tart it up a bit and it'd look fucking magnificent.

Instead it'll stay like this:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6057/406971472.jpg

when you look at some of those photo's you have to say they should really attract some top talent to the club !

:yao:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/images/2007/01/08/loftus_road1_470_470x353.jpg

Correct my point exactly  there is something sadly wrong  :)

when you look at some of those photo's you have to say they should really attract some top talent to the club !

:yao:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/images/2007/01/08/loftus_road1_470_470x353.jpg

I had no idea that Loftus Road looked like that from the outside until this week. Words fail me.

I have thought for some time that it needs some sprucing up as the stadium is starting to look a little tired.

There are also quite a few repair jobs in toilets etc that have needed doing for at least 3-4 years.