St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

this is probably the wrong thread for this but ive never worked out exactly where john dobson's royal arcade actually stood.

it was stunning.

54 minutes ago, huss9 said:

this is probably the wrong thread for this but ive never worked out exactly where john dobson's royal arcade actually stood.

it was stunning.

Swan House

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

facing south?

The Royal Arcade fronted Pilgrim Street which had extended unbroken to Manor Street (now gone) and City Road. It faced down Mosley Street to the south-west. Behind it lay Carliol Square and The Holy Jesus Hospital. Once the decision to build a large roundabout for the proposed new central motorway had been made, the planners had to choose between RA and HJH as to which should be demolished to accommodate it - they chose RA and it bit the bullet at the end of 1963 with Swan House replacing it. 

The Royal Arcade was lauded as an architectural masterpiece, but its original purpose as a stylish shopping mall foundered on the fact it was a few minutes from the main shopping streets and was at the furthest point of Pilgrim Steeet and beyond it was a decaying part of town (Pandon). In the decades preceding its demolition it was a beacon for counterculture and a hangout for anarchists and communists. The city administrators were probably more than happy to sign off its destruction, but the city lost some magnificence that can never be replaced - just as it has with the loss of two-thirds of Eldon Square, King Charles House with Shieldfield Green and the surrounding houses, the ancient Dolphin House, the original Pearl Assurance Building and the old classical library (that was flattened to make way for John Dobson Street) - all demolished over less than a decade of destruction in the name of progress. The cool leftfield Handyside Arcade was blitzed in the late 80s to make way for the faceless and unsuccessful Eldon Garden - proving the council are myopic phillistines. 

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Thanks for sharing but nothing which hasn’t been debated endlessly since on here. :lol:

You’re not wrong. Need that feasibility study to drop

1 minute ago, Jack27 said:

You’re not wrong. Need that feasibility study to drop

For sure, I mean his piece is obviously a pre cursor to it and speculating regarding the outcome. 

I hope they publish the study so we can all draw our own conclusions as well. 

Putting my bet on that the study will say there is no satisfactory solution to the East Stand problem and the issue will be put aside for the time being. If they have tje solutiom, better get a move on it.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Well well well

image.thumb.png.b8a0c9111ee2f11d430cbd3f3964bb7f.png

reclaim the car park and build a new one in or around helix, modernise everything inside with extra space, buy Leazes terrace and make it into a club shop/media centre/museum, extend gallowgate, local food options inside, still launch east stand into the sun, stack permanent 

18 hours ago, Wandy said:

It's just one sample, but I noticed on this twitter feed that 67% of people voted for Option C. I know some on here won't agree, but I do think that this would be an accurate reflection of the opinion of the wider fanbase.

https://x.com/NUFCFEED/status/1780329240782672359

I wouldn't agree overall, but I would definitely agree that as 'move from SJP' options go, that would be the one that would be by far the least terrible and I would guess would be the most popular move option. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 hours ago, TomYam said:

The Royal Arcade fronted Pilgrim Street which had extended unbroken to Manor Street (now gone) and City Road. It faced down Mosley Street to the south-west. Behind it lay Carliol Square and The Holy Jesus Hospital. Once the decision to build a large roundabout for the proposed new central motorway had been made, the planners had to choose between RA and HJH as to which should be demolished to accommodate it - they chose RA and it bit the bullet at the end of 1963 with Swan House replacing it. 

The Royal Arcade was lauded as an architectural masterpiece, but its original purpose as a stylish shopping mall foundered on the fact it was a few minutes from the main shopping streets and was at the furthest point of Pilgrim Steeet and beyond it was a decaying part of town (Pandon). In the decades preceding its demolition it was a beacon for counterculture and a hangout for anarchists and communists. The city administrators were probably more than happy to sign off its destruction, but the city lost some magnificence that can never be replaced - just as it has with the loss of two-thirds of Eldon Square, King Charles House with Shieldfield Green and the surrounding houses, the ancient Dolphin House, the original Pearl Assurance Building and the old classical library (that was flattened to make way for John Dobson Street) - all demolished over less than a decade of destruction in the name of progress. The cool leftfield Handyside Arcade was blitzed in the late 80s to make way for the faceless and unsuccessful Eldon Garden - proving the council are myopic phillistines. 

:sad:

8 hours ago, TomYam said:

Super post, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I mean, we have a great city, but look at what could have been. Criminal, literally.

For those talking about Royal Arcade etc. 

The narrator's way of speaking is quite jarring to me, but it's a good video. I'll not spoil it, but I had a proper 'wew' moment when it was revealed where the remnants of The Royal Arcade are now, because I'd seen them before but hadn't realised that's what they were. 

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Well well well

image.thumb.png.b8a0c9111ee2f11d430cbd3f3964bb7f.png

I think if you offered most fans the chance to stay at St James' Park, they'd take it, but they fall into three categories - stay as we are, stay but expand the Gallowgate/East Stand, stay but rebuild a new stadium on the same site.

How many of those "remain at St James' Park" would vote that way if the feasibility study said;

1. No expansion is possible

2. Small expansion of the Gallowgate is possible

3. Expansion of both Gallowgate and East Stand is possible

4. Complete rebuild of the stadium is possible

If it was 4, I'd say stay at SJP. If it was 3 I'd be undecided. If it was 1 or 2 I'd lean towards moving, but that depends on where we'd move to. Basically, the Trust is massively oversimplifying the question, possibly due to their own personal preferences. 

8 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I think if you offered most fans the chance to stay at St James' Park, they'd take it, but they fall into three categories - stay as we are, stay but expand the Gallowgate/East Stand, stay but rebuild a new stadium on the same site.

How many of those "remain at St James' Park" would vote that way if the feasibility study said;

1. No expansion is possible

2. Small expansion of the Gallowgate is possible

3. Expansion of both Gallowgate and East Stand is possible

4. Complete rebuild of the stadium is possible

If it was 4, I'd say stay at SJP. If it was 3 I'd be undecided. If it was 1 or 2 I'd lean towards moving, but that depends on where we'd move to. Basically, the Trust is massively oversimplifying the question, possibly due to their own personal preferences. 

I personally don't consider option 4 to be in the 'stay at SJP' category, it would be the same site and 100% better than going somewhere else, but the existing stadium and the pitch are still key factors imo. 

According to that article, 3 different architects have said expansion is definitely possible. Of course, pinch of salt, because they're not the only people involved, but my personal gut feeling is that Gallowgate expansion will be possible and that the East Stand could get a modest upgrade without impacting on the light that Leazes Terrace gets. 

I wonder if the light issue would still exist if the club bought Leazes Terrace and turned it into a hotel. :hmm:

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I personally don't consider option 4 to be in the 'stay at SJP' category, it would be the same site and 100% better than going somewhere else, but the existing stadium and the pitch are still key factors imo. 

According to that article, 3 different architects have said expansion is definitely possible. Of course, pinch of salt, because they're not the only people involved, but my personal gut feeling is that Gallowgate expansion will be possible and that the East Stand could get a modest upgrade without impacting on the light that Leazes Terrace gets. 

I wonder if the light issue would still exist if the club bought Leazes Terrace and turned it into a hotel. :hmm:

I think we know expansion is possible, it’s just expensive for what we get and doesn’t resolve issues regarding lack of facilities/ opening new revenue streams. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think we know expansion is possible, it’s just expensive for what we get and doesn’t resolve issues regarding lack of facilities/ opening new revenue streams. 

No one knows that's the case yet tbh. This feasibility study can't come quick enough. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

No one knows that's the case yet tbh. This feasibility study can't come quick enough. 

Indeed it can’t, whatever is decided we will have a lot of unhappy people mind. :lol:

cant always trust surveys - get 2 different answers depending on how they're worded.

also unless you have definite options to choose from, its not of any real value.