St James' Park

Delima

3 hours ago, Shearergol said:

I live practically on a straight line from Manchester. It's North. Not having it any other way.

When I was a geography student, Cheshire was a midlands county and Lancashire a northern county - so that makes Manchester a northern county by a whisker. 

In Roman times, Manchester and Liverpool though not Leeds) were in Mercia - a midlands kingdom. 

One things for sure is this attempt to designate Manchester as the new capital of the north - where they are awarded cultural assets and offered economic and political advantages - is contempible.

6 hours ago, TomYam said:

My feelings too. I use the park a couple of times a week and it's well used by many friends I know. Admittedly there is regular antisocial activity to the south-west (Barrack Road), but the great majority of the oark is well-maintained and harmonious. For the wellbeing of the city we should be looking at expansion not diminishment.

I agree, but the park isn't in peak condition by any measure. 

Obvs 14 years of tory cuts etc etc, a Labour council handing servicing of the park to a charity that's on its bones. 

Castle Leazes student accommodation on the death list

Perfect Storm to build on Castle Leazes (still walking distance from the city centre) 

Bribe the council with the offer to totally revitalise Leazes Park AND add the current ground footprint into the whole feature walkway upto the new ground. 

49 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I agree, but the park isn't in peak condition by any measure. 

Obvs 14 years of tory cuts etc etc, a Labour council handing servicing of the park to a charity that's on its bones. 

Castle Leazes student accommodation on the death list

Perfect Storm to build on Castle Leazes (still walking distance from the city centre) 

Bribe the council with the offer to totally revitalise Leazes Park AND add the current ground footprint into the whole feature walkway upto the new ground. 

I think they've missed a massive trick if they haven't explored those avenues already. There is so much sponsorship and goodwill just waiting to be 'bought' by the Saudis. I am very surprised they've done so little to this point. Plenty time, and absolutely nothing to say they are or aren't already exploring loads of options but I thought the point of buying us was sportswashing. If so they're shite at it 🤣

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

I think they've missed a massive trick if they haven't explored those avenues already. There is so much sponsorship and goodwill just waiting to be 'bought' by the Saudis. I am very surprised they've done so little to this point. Plenty time, and absolutely nothing to say they are or aren't already exploring loads of options but I thought the point of buying us was sportswashing. If so they're shite at it 🤣

It's a no brainier for me. It's currently a field full of cow shit with a dimly lit path for students to traverse and a bit for helicopters to land near the RVI. 

A ground over by the Barrack road side would still leave enough greenery on the Richardson road side. Christ they could even "park" that bit as well so there's  beautiful parkland from the Strawberry all the way upto the Cosy Dove

10 hours ago, mattypnufc said:

Good job they’ll be out on there arse before anything gets approved. 

Kind of thing they’d rush through to force Labour to either commit or risk a revolt in a strongly Labour heartland.

Not to go all “brick by brick to Beamish” here, but wouldn’t it be fairly trivial to relocate all of the Victorian promenade features of Leazes Park west of the lake (walls and stairs, statues, bandstand, maybe even a restored version of the derelict lodge house) down to new parkland on the current footprint of SJP, to enable an Option C to work while enhancing the environment in front of Grade I listed Leazes Terrace, keeping the total parkland area essentially unchanged, while retaining and restoring the key features of Leazes Park, even on a rearranged layout? Not sure if that would fly with English Heritage or other stakeholders but seems a potential win-win for the club and city?

The amount of listed buildings that were demolished for the central motorway and Eldon Square show that for a "project that improves the city" progress should not be halted. I haven't heard anyone say just demolish leazes terrace buts let us move it to a new location. St James Park is the greatest building in our city and home to the greatest company in our city. Arguements for bandstands, parkland and for moving terraced houses shouldn't be detrimental to the business that provides everything to the city. For christ sake there is a stone in elswick pool commemorating the listed building Elswick Hall that was demolished to build the pool. If it's ok for elswick baths it's ok for nufc

6 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

The amount of listed buildings that were demolished for the central motorway and Eldon Square show that for a "project that improves the city" progress should not be halted. I haven't heard anyone say just demolish leazes terrace buts let us move it to a new location. St James Park is the greatest building in our city and home to the greatest company in our city. Arguements for bandstands, parkland and for moving terraced houses shouldn't be detrimental to the business that provides everything to the city. For christ sake there is a stone in elswick pool commemorating the listed building Elswick Hall that was demolished to build the pool. If it's ok for elswick baths it's ok for nufc

The creation of Eldon Square and the central motorway ultimately led to councillors going to jail mate.  The demolition of those buildings was a fucking crime and the idea that ‘it’s been done before so it’ll be ok to do it again’ is off the charts crackers.  SJP is hardly the greatest building in the city - it’s an already outmoded lumpen stadium of concrete and steel.

How about we don’t wreck irreplacable heritage buildings - the ones that remain?

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The creation of Eldon Square and the central motorway ultimately led to councillors going to jail mate.  The demolition of those buildings was a fucking crime and the idea that ‘it’s been done before so it’ll be ok to do it again’ is off the charts crackers.  SJP is hardly the greatest building in the city - it’s an already outmoded lumpen stadium of concrete and steel.

How about we don’t wreck irreplacable heritage buildings - the ones that remain?

Explain to me how the shard, the guerkin, canary wharf, every Newcastle high rise student accommodation etc that's been built over the last 20 years doesn't affect listed building light levels but sjp will. The whole argument is flawed. It's like architectural wokeness.

By the way they didn't go to jail for pulling down the buildings. If I remember it was more fiscal than that. 

4 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

Explain to me how the shard, the guerkin, canary wharf, every Newcastle high rise student accommodation etc that's been built over the last 20 years doesn't affect listed building light levels but sjp will. The whole argument is flawed. It's like architectural wokeness.

By the way they didn't go to jail for pulling down the buildings. If I remember it was more fiscal than that. 

The dodgy deals they did led to prison.  It was an act of cultural vandalism.

It isn’t just a case of right to light - there isn’t the room.  

And you’ve lost me with the ‘wokeness’ reference.  Have some civic pride man. 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The dodgy deals they did led to prison.  It was an act of cultural vandalism.

It isn’t just a case of right to light - there isn’t the room.  

And you’ve lost me with the ‘wokeness’ reference.  Have some civic pride man. 

I know, the "wokeness" thing did it for me as well. Usually people who go all "woke" & "snowflake" haven't got a Scooby 😂

However, Curly does have a point. It's not even "cultural vandalism has been done before so let's do it here" 

Listed buildings and architecturally/ historically interesting land is rebuilt over/on all the time. Sometimes it's for the common good. Sometimes what replaces it works. Sometimes it doesn't. 

I'm all for keeping beautiful buildings and parkland, for eg, that's been bequeathed for public use BUT exceptions are made.

Not saying cultural vandalism isn't prevalent, it is, concrete jungles abound 😭

I've been getting Private Eye for nearly 40 years and their "Nooks & Crannies" page shows, fortnightly, the plight of our heritage. Mainly at the hands of dodgy builders/landlords and councillors. 

"At six foot six
And 100 Tons
The undisputed King of the Slums
With more alias' than Klaus Barbie
Master Butcher of Leigh on Sea
Just about to take the stage
The one and only - hold the front page" 

Edited by Groundhog63

17 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

Option A for me like.

That is awesome.  What a great animation, thanks for sharing that

All of those options look great, no matter how they decide to do it the disruption is going to be significant.  Option C would be incredible.

47 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It's just one sample, but I noticed on this twitter feed that 67% or people voted for Option C. I know some on here won't agree, but I do think that this would be an accurate reflection of the opinion of the wider fanbase.

https://x.com/NUFCFEED/status/1780329240782672359

Interesting. So, on that basis, a large majority would prefer a ground move providing it is nearby and of sufficient quality. Perhaps those folks with skills I don't possess could now formulate graphics for alternative possibilities other than Option C (ie. on Castle Leazes)?

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

It's just one sample, but I noticed on this twitter feed that 67% or people voted for Option C. I know some on here won't agree, but I do think that this would be an accurate reflection of the opinion of the wider fanbase.

https://x.com/NUFCFEED/status/1780329240782672359

I don't think that should be a huge surprise to anybody really. In theory it has the (main) benefit of the current site, namely being very central, but also has the "shiny new toy" effect. 

5 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't think that should be a huge surprise to anybody really. In theory it has the (main) benefit of the current site, namely being very central, but also has the "shiny new toy" effect. 

Is C a new stadium? Hard to imagine anyone in the Gallowgate voting to lose their seats redevelopmenting the current site

And strawberry corner for that matter depending on h&s rules

Edited by Fezzle

Option C is far and away the best option imo. Upgrading the stadium isn’t just about increasing capacity, it’s the whole package and a new stadium lets us do whatever we want. Part of option C is built on the SJP footprint so it’s basically in the same location. Seems perfect.

Edited by Decky

15 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

never knew that.

any decent info around on that?