St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

44 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I personally don't consider option 4 to be in the 'stay at SJP' category, it would be the same site and 100% better than going somewhere else, but the existing stadium and the pitch are still key factors imo. 

According to that article, 3 different architects have said expansion is definitely possible. Of course, pinch of salt, because they're not the only people involved, but my personal gut feeling is that Gallowgate expansion will be possible and that the East Stand could get a modest upgrade without impacting on the light that Leazes Terrace gets. 

I wonder if the light issue would still exist if the club bought Leazes Terrace and turned it into a hotel. :hmm:

It’s the ‘existing stadium is key’ bit that I don’t get.  SJP isn’t anything like what it was even 25 years ago.  It’s not the same ground.  Why are the current stands suddenly important?

56 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I think if you offered most fans the chance to stay at St James' Park, they'd take it, but they fall into three categories - stay as we are, stay but expand the Gallowgate/East Stand, stay but rebuild a new stadium on the same site.

How many of those "remain at St James' Park" would vote that way if the feasibility study said;

1. No expansion is possible

2. Small expansion of the Gallowgate is possible

3. Expansion of both Gallowgate and East Stand is possible

4. Complete rebuild of the stadium is possible

If it was 4, I'd say stay at SJP. If it was 3 I'd be undecided. If it was 1 or 2 I'd lean towards moving, but that depends on where we'd move to. Basically, the Trust is massively oversimplifying the question, possibly due to their own personal preferences. 

How about ‘stay where you are and never compete with the big boys’.  Wonder what the response would be then …

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

How about ‘stay where you are and never compete with the big boys’.  Wonder what the response would be then …

I would hope it would be 'don't ask me a question based on a false premise' 

Edited by Kid Icarus

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s the ‘existing stadium is key’ bit that I don’t get.  SJP isn’t anything like what it was even 25 years ago.  It’s not the same ground.  Why are the current stands suddenly important?

Parts of it are the same ground that have been there since before my lifetime. My preference would be that it remains where it is. If a new stadium is built around the current pitch, or it ends up completely different like the Ship of Theusus/Trigger's broom then sobeit. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Well well well

image.thumb.png.b8a0c9111ee2f11d430cbd3f3964bb7f.png

To me, that's simply because those fans haven't seen any viewable plan for an alternative stadium nearby to the SJP site. They are basically afraid of the unknown.

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

To me, that's simply because those fans haven't seen any viewable plan for an alternative stadium nearby to the SJP site. They are basically afraid of the unknown.

All of them? :lol:

1 minute ago, Slim said:

On the flip side I bet most non season ticket holders want to move so they can get tickets

You don't need to be a season ticket holder to be an NU Trust member. 

16 minutes ago, Slim said:

On the flip side I bet most non season ticket holders want to move so they can get tickets

Probably a fair few.  I feel like plenty more people want us to move only because they think we'll then be able to spend as much money as we want with no further questions asked.

So much upheaval and disruption to try to meet the conditions of a discredited and almost universally despised financial test which is already limping heavily and imo almost certain to be bulleted in its current form before the first paying fan enters our new arena

Edited by OpenC

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not read the story but going off the thumbnail 60K is nowhere near enough. Ticket prices will get silly.

“As a minimum Newcastle are likely to want to push the capacity above the 60,000 mark while also updating the stadium’s dated facilities, making it a viable venue for regular revenue-generating events like concerts and even bringing NFL games to the North-East”

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not read the story but going off the thumbnail 60K is nowhere near enough. Ticket prices will get silly.

The article is just everything that’s been discussed on here. Let’s see in a couple of weeks when the study is released. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

The article is just everything that’s been discussed on here. Let’s see in a couple of weeks when the study is released. 

Tbf I thought there was a lot in there that was new, either because I've missed it or because it's new. I hadn't read the stuff about the different architects saying what might and might not be possible.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Tbf I thought there was a lot in there that was new, either because I've missed it or because it's new. I hadn't read the stuff about the different architects saying what might and might not be possible.

Oh, I’ve read all those quotes from those firms before, on here as well I’m sure. I commented not long ago that populous keep pitching for the job :lol:

That being said, fair play I’m glad you found it worthwhile. 

Somewhat simplistically but, based on Option D: a trailblazing 70,000 stadium in Castle Leazes:

Pros:

- improved comfort, acoustics, facilities

- much greater scope for fans - especially youngsters - to attend matches

- new revenue streams increases economic performance of both club and city 

- harmonious design a boon to the cityscape, expansion of parkland

Cons:

- not our spiritual home

So imo there are emotional reasons for wanting to stay put and nothing more.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This is an important point.

Be it moving the stadium south a bit so we get more of the Strawberry land in, or it going to Castle Leazes, I do think we need a rebuild.

The East stand alone is about 50 years old, and will be reaching the end of its life span soon in anyway, that is without acknowledging that it’s not fit for purpose anymore.

We might not be on the same front print, maybe a couple of hundred yards up the road, but spiritually we are still there. Your pre/post match pub will still be the same. You will still have the same route to the ground. It will still be in city centre, although we might be directly above the Metro station, or further up through the fancy gates via Leazes Park.

I've said before, as long as it's made of sandstone and has a giant statue of Alan Shearer teabagging Niall Quinn out the front I'm happy. And a moat. If we budge it so there's a bit more room it should also have a moat.