Scott Parker - Not good enough.

Greg

Parker does tend to pass square and back a lot, I dont know if its just lack of options for a forward pass, or if he just lacks the confidence to try a forward ball that may be cutt out, so he plays it safe.

When Dyer turns awya from players with the ball he usualy does find a forward pass or finds spce so he can run forward with it. He is a more productive midfielder than Parker just not a hard tackler. On paper a Parker - Dyer midfield looks a good pairing but does it really work ? anf if not is  that because of Parker or Dyer?.

Parker is hard working midfielder and his strongest component of his game is tackling and pressing the opponent.His game is based without the ball so we cant expect from him to create our game,to pick every ball from the defence and create our atacks.He may try to do this but its obvious thats not his game

But thats only my opinion

I think he is very good player and if Roeder uses his strenghts properly then he will get the best of him

Parker does tend to pass square and back a lot, I dont know if its just lack of options for a forward pass, or if he just lacks the confidence to try a forward ball that may be cutt out, so he plays it safe.

When Dyer turns awya from players with the ball he usualy does find a forward pass or finds spce so he can run forward with it. He is a more productive midfielder than Parker just not a hard tackler. On paper a Parker - Dyer midfield looks a good pairing but does it really work ? anf if not is  that because of Parker or Dyer?.

Parker can pass decently, he just lacks the confidence and self belief in his own ability to the extent that he wont even try a remotely difficult through ball. Butt cant pass for s***, but that wont stop him trying to set teamates away early, or attempting to spread the play crossfield on his first touch.

Dyer simply has no passing range whatsoever. When in central midfield, he wont pass beyond the nearest man. Hes a quality player for us, but central midfield is not his position, and he should only be used there in games where we are looking to counter against slow and defensively weak central midfielders.

I think a Parker Dyer midfield could work for specific games, but it would be pretty lightweight defensively, so only in games where there isnt much of an attack threat from the opposition central midfield.

I agree about Parker but Butt is not that bad a passer of a ball, he has sprayed some fantatic passes out to Milner this season. You may see more passes go astry from Butt, but thats because he does try the harder pass.

Thign with Dyer is if he wnats firts tema football when Owen is fit then he is going to have to prove he can play in the middle. Roeder will not play a 4-3-3 so its going to be in midfeilder where Dyer is needed. Unless he Roeder has the balls to try a 4-3-1-2 formation, with Dyer playing in the hole inbetwwen midfield and the fromt 2.

That would be my preferd lineup once owen is back.

-----------------Given

Nobby----Taylor---Gooch----Baba

---Milner------Parker--------Zoggy

-----------------Dyer

---------Owen----------Martins

Parker can pass decently, he just lacks the confidence and self belief in his own ability to the extent that he wont even try a remotely difficult through ball. Butt cant pass for s***, but that wont stop him trying to set teamates away early, or attempting to spread the play crossfield on his first touch.

Dyer simply has no passing range whatsoever. When in central midfield, he wont pass beyond the nearest man. Hes a quality player for us, but central midfield is not his position, and he should only be used there in games where we are looking to counter against slow and defensively weak central midfielders.

I think a Parker Dyer midfield could work for specific games, but it would be pretty lightweight defensively, so only in games where there isnt much of an attack threat from the opposition central midfield.

Total tosh, tbh. Parka's passing is very, very poor, it's his main limitation along with his slow brain pointed out by Shaman. Butt's passing ability is several notches higher than Parka.

Dyer's main strength is his ability to run beyond the strikers, not pass in a flowing and expansive fashion like other creative players, there's no point in comparing him with Parker and Butt, as you more or less got to in the end by saying he's not a CM. No reason for you to have commented on him in the context of this thread, tbh.

12 mill i cant see any team in the world willing to pay that for him

Surely a better team than newcastle would have came in for a england interantional

But newcastle love english players

12 mill i cant see any team in the world willing to pay that for him

Surely a better team than newcastle would have came in for a england interantional

But newcastle love english players

We still talking about Parker?

Parker...Batty without the skill

i wouldn't say Batty was any more skillful than Parker. But Batty knew his limitations and strengths and played accordingly. Parker imagines himself as a gung-ho attacker who is allowed to roam at will and dive in for glorious tackles whenever he wants. had batty played like that he would've looked shit too.

Total tosh, tbh. Parka's passing is very, very poor, it's his main limitation along with his slow brain pointed out by Shaman. Butt's passing ability is several notches higher than Parka.

Dyer's main strength is his ability to run beyond the strikers, not pass in a flowing and expansive fashion like other creative players, there's no point in comparing him with Parker and Butt, as you more or less got to in the end by saying he's not a CM. No reason for you to have commented on him in the context of this thread, tbh.

Well, I can only say that we see things differently. Parker, for me, has significantly better technique than Butt when it comes to having the ball at feet. Hes quicker at controlling it, can move and dribble faster with it, can turn alot faster, and generally has more ability on the ball. Its here that im referring to his passing technique being better than Butt's, who imo has poor technical ability and ball control, which is why he gives the ball away the most in our team. This is where we clearly disagree, because obviously you rate Butt as a good passer.

I do think that overall Butt is a better passer, but only because of the difference in mentality when it comes to passing. Butt looks to spread the play quickly, he doesnt wait for the safest option to become available and will pass it fast or spread it wide if he sees the option to. Its Parker's failure to do this that makes him a poor passer of the ball for me, technical ability wise hes fine.

Dyer was brought up because Skirge was discussing a Parker Dyer partnership.

Butt...slightly inferior version of Batty

Parker...stronger tackler than Rob Lee, half the player.

Sorry mate but there is no way on earth that Parker is a stronger tackler than Rob Lee. And he's nowhere near half the player either.

Sorry mate but there is no way on earth that Parker is a stronger tackler than Rob Lee. And he's nowhere near half the player either.

Lee was solid defensively, but theres no way he could win half the challenges Parker can. No matter what other areas of Parker's game may be, hes a quality slide tackler, even if he does get caught out once in a while. Lee wasnt.

Lee was solid defensively, but theres no way he could win half the challenges Parker can. No matter what other areas of Parker's game may be, hes a quality slide tackler, even if he does get caught out once in a while. Lee wasnt.

Lots of last ditch sliding tackles = lack of ability to anticipate and read the game. It's not a positive, it's a negative.

Guest Knightrider

Lots of last ditch sliding tackles = lack of ability to anticipate and read the game. It's not a positive, it's a negative.

Same can be said of Butt then...

Anyway for those who disagree with the topic title or want to discuss an alternative option: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36760.0

Same can be said of Butt then...

Anyway for those who disagree with the topic title or want to discuss an alternative option: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36760.0

Assuming you're talking about my comment above then I agree, the same could be said of anybody, a great observation.

Thing is, Parka does it loads of times more than anyone else, even defenders.

Parker is ..... poor man Sissoko... much shorter also :tongue:

i think he just could be best and suited for in 4 - 3 - 3 system... which the midfield... butt = holding midfield, parker = battler(box to box midfield) , emre = creative midfield (playmaker)

• 3 weeks later...

Poor performance, what does he actually do on the pitch? He done that spin thin 3 times in a row at one point.

And he is in no way captain material, the sooner we see the back of him the better.

And Roeder is a cunt for lacking the balls to take him off too!

At least he was better than Butt. Doesn't say much though

Couldn't agree more. This aspect of his game, and it's a major weakness defensively, makes him a mediocre defensive minded/inclined midfielder when comparing him to the likes of Makalele, Viera, Carrick etc. The same can be said when comparing him to Speed whose 'footballing smarts/brain', or his ability to read the game enabling him to adjust his positioning or when to simply hold his position in the midfield line when defending as you've inferred, enabled him to make a succesful conversion to the 'anchorman' type role that Robson bestowed upon him.

In relation to Parker and his 'defensive positional indiscipline'. It's bloody hard for the team's midfield to maintain any sort of defensive shape when the one bloke, who as captain is ultimately charged with the duty of leading the pack within centre of the engineroom, is running around like a headless chicken *trying to make tackles all over the park............................ *yet some will highlight this particular as a major strength, as one poster has previously done so within another thread.