Bernard back in reserve squad

Skirge

God I wish he was fit and playing at LB again, one of the best LB's we have had in a long time.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~995047,00.html

OLIVIER Bernard is the most experienced player in an otherwise young Newcastle United Reserve team that travels to Morecambe on Monday night to face Blackburn Rovers (kick-off 7pm).

Coach Lee Clark has named the following side: Fraser Forster, Chris Shanks, Olivier Bernard, Kris Gate, David Edgar, Alex Francis, Jonny Godsmark, Matty Pattison, Ryan Donaldson, James Troisi, Alan O'Brien.

Subs: Phil Cave, Mark Doninger, James Marwood, Callum Morris, Mark Bertram.

United were 1-0 winners when the sides met at Kingston Park earlier in the season thanks to an Andy Carroll goal. That game, on October 30, was the Reserves' last victory, with three draws and three defeats in their last six outings.

I think he is going to have to prove his fittness and form before Roeder includes him in the first team, he is just back from injury so lets not write him off just yet. I would love to see him back to the old Bernard, would save us having to buy a new LB too.

Absolutely no chance of Bernard sorting out our problems at left-back imo. It's embarrassing he's still on our books.

Absolutely no chance of Bernard sorting out our problems at left-back imo. It's embarrassing he's still on our books.

what's more embarrassing is that Baba's injury record is somewhat similar

Babayaro is still considered good enough to be selected when fit though by the manager, didn't Bernard get subbed at half-time in a reserve game earlier in the season because he was so poor?

Remember how we used to call Bernard unbreakable? it was as though he was made from stone, even played on after Robert tried to cave his skull in with the ball, got up and played on. Against Everton when he was nearly snapped in half, the one where Rooney played on and scored as Bernard was lying on the pitch in agony.

For him to have a long term injury is very strange but I still have faith that we will see him back for the Toon, he left becuase of bad advice from his agent, wanting him to hold out for his new contract to include back pay. Had he not listend and took the new deal then I think we would still be seeing him play for us now.

what's more embarrassing is that Baba's injury record is somewhat similar

Not the biggest fan of Babayaro by any means but I find his presence here far less of a joke.

Who do you know on the inside then?

I was giving my opinion. Do you think he's the answer and will sort out our problems like?

I was giving my opinion. Do you think he's the answer and will sort out our problems like?

I've no idea, which is why I don't say he will or he won't. You on the other hand sound absolutely positive to the point you're embarrassed about him being at the club.

What are you basing your opinion on? Speculation or first hand knowledge of his medical situation and how he's doing in training?

Come on, spit it out, Alex. The info I mean..... ;)

I've no idea, which is why I don't say he will or he won't. You on the other hand sound absolutely positive to the point you're embarrassed about him being at the club.

What are you basing your opinion on? Speculation or first hand knowledge of his medical situation and how he's doing in training?

To be honest he wasn't really good enough before, so 2-3 years later with very little top-level football in between indicates he's not going to be as good as he was.

To be honest he wasn't really good enough before, so 2-3 years later with very little top-level football in between indicates he's not going to be as good as he was.

His positioning was always dodgy, but tbf I'd expect that to improve with experience. He's not a world beater but he's not bad, certainly on a par with the likes of Bridge if fit, for example.