Will we be able to keep our star striker Martins?

Guest nufc 4 life
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest nufc 4 life

I imagine he'll stay for another couple of years regardless of success. But by the time he's 24-25 and if we're not competing for anything then he'll be off. Wouldn't blame him either really.

On the topic of keeping players, how much longer are we going to hold on to Owen? Providing he comes back as the same player he was he won't hang around long.

i disagree i fell he feels he owes the fans and club his services wouldn't be suprised if he saw out the rest of his career woth us it's amazing though you look at how many he game she has played for us only 12 and yet he scored in 7 of those how we need our 2 star striker back if anything just to take the pressure off of Martins

Punctuate much?

lol nope

That's a fair point, he voiced his wishes on leaving after they signed Crespo didn't he? Or was it that Ibrahimovic? Anyway, he knows what it's like being a small fish in a big pond already.

aye but the lads a young one, Inter isnt the team for him perhaps but he would fancy his chances elsewhere in europe if he continues to improve at the rate he is doing.

Guest nufc 4 life

That's a fair point, he voiced his wishes on leaving after they signed Crespo didn't he? Or was it that Ibrahimovic? Anyway, he knows what it's like being a small fish in a big pond already.

aye but the lads a young one, Inter isnt the team for him perhaps but he would fancy his chances elsewhere in europe if he continues to improve at the rate he is doing.

fair point, look at teams like valencia they have a lot of potential and are performing better than Real Madrid at the moment

I honestly wouldnt complain if we cashed in on Martins but only if replaced him with someone like Tevez or Huntelaar. Different type of player with different abilities, but same calibre and potential.

Problem with selling Martins this time though is that I personally dont trust Shepherd with these decisions anymore - we're most likely going to go for someone like Bent, Crouch or Ashton because of our preference for England internationals first and foremost. Im betting those are the players we looked at first before looking abroad at Kuyt/Martins, and ending up with Martins (a decision which Kuyt forced upon us). Decent/Good players in their own right, but none of them will ever be world beaters nor have anything like the potential to be, and thats what our aim should be.

I honestly wouldnt complain if we cashed in on Martins but only if replaced him with someone like Tevez or Huntelaar. Different type of player with different abilities, but same calibre and potential.

Problem with selling Martins this time though is that I personally dont trust Shepherd with these decisions anymore - we're most likely going to go for someone like Bent, Crouch or Ashton because of our preference for England internationals first and foremost. Im betting those are the players we looked at first before looking abroad at Kuyt/Martins, and ending up with Martins (a decision which Kuyt forced upon us). Decent/Good players in their own right, but none of them will ever be world beaters nor have anything like the potential to be, and thats what our aim should be.

tevez is shit and we have no chance in hell of huntelaar

Would be just like Fred to cash in on him though, I would be gutted to lose him even for double the money. Alot will depend on him and how loyal he is to us, if he does get 20 this season for us then he is bound to attract a lot of attention from top clubs. Lets hope he is happy here and wants a future with us.

Guest Sniffer

Depends who we buy to strengthen the team. If we can't challenge for a top four spot why would anybody want to stay once money is not a factor and you aren't from the area so play infront of family and friends?

If we dont develop in the next 2-3 years as a team who can challenge the top 4 teams and Martins still scores 20+ goals a season i think its very likely that he wants bigger challenge and bigger team to play for.

But if we sign some good players this summer and can push for the top 4 places i think there will be no reason why Martins will want to leave us.Here at Newcastle he is the star player.If he goes to Real Madrid for example he will be one of many...

Guest Sniffer

If we persist with the likes of ameobi and sibierski then why would any forward want to stay at Newcastle?

if martins continues as of now and we have next season like this one,he wont be here 2008/9.

we have no chance in hell of huntelaar

he has apparently stated his desire to play in england.....

chelsea look like recalling crespo aswell as what they already have,unlikely to go there.

man utd if they don't get torres.....possible move for KJH

liverpool,KJH is not spanish...possible( david villa still prime target)

arsenal,looking to get baptiste permanent...possible but unlikely.

outside of these we have as good if not a better chance than everyone else.

(i done this sort of thing when owen was just a news of the screws rumour)

Would be just like Fred to cash in on him though, I would be gutted to lose him even for double the money. Alot will depend on him and how loyal he is to us, if he does get 20 this season for us then he is bound to attract a lot of attention from top clubs. Lets hope he is happy here and wants a future with us.

explain - precedents please? 

I am scared f****** shitless for the future of our star striker he has proven in one season what an amazing player he is/can be he is 22 banging in goals for fun in the first season in the EPL arguably the best league in the world. He has come from a completely different style of play in the itailian Serie A which is a very defence league compared to the very attacking football played in the EPL. He has all the attributes you need in a striker raw pace, can shoot from very long range, a huge leap and good head and good awareness. On the other hand his first touch is poor and his running can be a little stupid at times he could also do with a little more composure, but all of these are ironed out after getting some experience under his belt. Now back to my point if he carries on the way he is going surely we are going to have huge clubs with their billions knocking at our door and will we be able to reject them. His value already had doubled if not tripled, but if we don't win something i.e the UEFA cup and start qualifying for the champions league will he not want to go. He has the quailty as le sib has said to be one of the best strikers in the world and is already one of the best in Europe so will he want to go i sure as hell hope not as he is the future of this club and what a buy by GR is all i can say only time will tell and please discuss lol   :o

He wanted to leave a Huge Trophy winning club Inter Milan and put himself up for transfer just last Summer.

Came to Newcastle United for first team football and to play in "the best league in the world".

First team football must be very important to him and i can't see him going back on his desition to leave a huge trophy winning club and move anytime soon.

However Chelsea asking about his availability in January is worrying, but if he was to leave then selling to Chelsea at a inflated price and with the return of Michael Owen would not be so bad.

Hopefully not though as the prospect of having the firepower of Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins next season is frightning.

Guest Gemmill

Hopefully not though as the prospect of having the firepower of Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins next season is thrightning.

:lol: Thcary even!

tevez is shit

:lol:

Tbh I wouldn't have thought he was good enough yet to seriously interest any of the big four. If he went to any of them, he wouldn't be first team material at the moment. Apart from possibly Chelsea, I can't see them wanting to fork out a mega-fee in those circumstances.

Guest nufc 4 life

Tbh I wouldn't have thought he was good enough yet to seriously interest any of the big four. If he went to any of them, he wouldn't be first team material at the moment. Apart from possibly Chelsea, I can't see them wanting to fork out a mega-fee in those circumstances.

he has already reportedly interested Chleski in january

I cant help but think the lad is a perfect partner for Drogba, and the one striker Chelsea are crying out for.

The likes of Villa, Rooney, Eto'o, etc, may be on another level to Martins, but his attributes, physique, blistering pace, power, and sheer unpredictability, make him ideal for Chelsea's style of play as well as making him an ideal partner for Drogba. Drogba is Chelsea's workhorse up front, hes the player who Chelsea can rely on to hold the ball up, his general play is as consistent as it is unspectacular, so all they need is someone explosive alongside him with the ability to smack the ball into the back of the net, a forward who doesnt patrol the same areas as Drogba, and theyre sorted. That spells Martins to me - it wouldnt matter for them that Martins can be pretty shiite at times when it comes to his general play.

Don't think he'll go - at least this close season - and if he does we'll get very good money for him.

Of course next season we'll have Owen as well (if fit) so it's not like we'd be completely stuffed in the international quality striker department...