Duff: Is he finished?

Keefaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

With better man management and re-newed confidence i think he will come good

I'll say think of Nicky Butt

but then again theres Lee Bowyer

Butt has played well this season but only compared to how shit he has been for us since signing, still nowhere near good enough.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Who's judgement do you trust most. Jose's or Glen Roeder and Greame Souness?

Babayaro, Parker and Duff = all shite.

Guest Petay

I think a decent left back will do him wonders it will give him the option of playing one twos and having a player over lapping him rather than trying to beat the man everytime.  He'll also get far more of the ball, a winger is far more effective with a decent creative full back behind him just look at our right side when Carr plays there instead of Nobby we lose a huge amount of creativity.

Duff @ Title Winning Chelsea + World Class Manager = shiite.

Duff @ Mid Table Newcastle + Championship Standard Manager = shiite.

Its not us, its him. But what the heck, he works hard, so lets ignore the 7mill bids and the fact that hes on 70k per week and is inferior to a 20 year old French winger we have on our books. Hes our Duffers, hes world class, and hes not a Spaniard with first name Albert !!

Ive got the suspicion that Roeder and Shepherd knew hes been shiite for a long time when we signed him. I can understand why so many of our fans still thought him to be a top class player, because they wont have seen Chelsea much and wont have paid much attention to Duff's individual form when playing in a top side. But its baffled me how our management wouldnt know he was badly off the boil when signing him - imo they did, but made the signing anyway because:

1) To appease the fans who were getting pissed off at the lack of signings. Nothing easier for our club to do then to throw big wages at a Chelsea reject. No scrap-metal, cash on the table, "its good money", derogatory bargaining methods required by our chairman. At the time, we had noone lined up at all, and were just merely scouting the likes of Maritns and Kuyt.

2) To appease Shay Given. Stopped moaning about wanting to win things as soon as we made this signing, when all summer he was clearly getting pissed off at the situation. Bit strange how hes now changed his tune, saying he doesnt want anything to do with a big club and wants to stay here till he retires. Totally different tune to before Duff's signings, when he was talking about moving if he had to to win trophies.

3) Something to do with NZogbia. Maybe he wants more money, or his agent is drumming up interest via links with Arsenal etc, but it was extremely odd for us to spend so much in transfer fees and wages on a second left winger when the team needed reinforcements badly in other positions. A message of intent to Zog from the management it could well have been. No different to us offering Bernard a "fair deal" on the one hand, and signing Babayaro on the other in a "we arent going to bend to your demands so feck off" type statement.

Conspiracy theories, but thats all we'll have as no doubt when Freddy sacks Roeder hell force him to sign some privacy agreement before handing over the compo.

I'm seriously starting to think there's some sort of Irish connection on the squad that's forcing Roeder to keep picking Carr and Duff when they're so obviously s****, like what the Brazilian's supposedly have in Barca. (Then again, they can actually play football.)

Is it Shay using his clout to look out for his mates you think?

Just a conspiracy, but I think it's possible.

I think a decent left back will do him wonders it will give him the option of playing one twos and having a player over lapping him rather than trying to beat the man everytime.  He'll also get far more of the ball, a winger is far more effective with a decent creative full back behind him just look at our right side when Carr plays there instead of Nobby we lose a huge amount of creativity.

A very important point. Never once in the entire game did Huntington even attempt to get forward to support Duff. I'm not blaming Hunty particularly, because left back isn't his position, but you can't expect a wide player to function single handed like that.

As it is, Duff did okay tonight I thought. Their defenders had to resort to fouling him quite often, and he won us a few free kicks.

As far as I'm concerned, Duff has still got it.

I'm seriously starting to think there's some sort of Irish connection on the squad that's forcing Roeder to keep picking Carr and Duff when they're so obviously s****, like what the Brazilian's supposedly have in Barca. (Then again, they can actually play football.)

You would imagine/hope that Given wouldnt want Carr playing in front of him... useless fat idiot.

Its not Given,its just our love for the irish :)

There must be a way to get Duff back to his old best though, because im sure noone can point a finger as to why hes so shiite compared to his old self. Hes not much slower compared to what he used to be as he wasnt really that fast in the first place, maybe hes not quite as quick off the mark and on the turn but thats hard to tell when hes not playing the game like he used to in the first place.

I think its a mental thing - Mourinho has coached the flair out of Duff's game, and because of the immense competition, Duff has become scared to try things every time he gets the ball, which is what he used to do. Ive heard of a half-time team talk Mourinho had in a game (think it was against Brum) where Joe Cole was playing extremely well, but was performing all solo skills/dribbles, and Mourinho categorically told him in front of all the players that if he ever played like that again, hed sell him straight away. That type of "play badly once, give the ball away once, get dropped" type environment has probably killed much of Duff's game, and now hes something else.

Guest Magic

No, he's not finished. Of all our midfielders he's possibly the best off the ball. He leaves his wing and pops up all over the place at times. To some that's a lack of discipline, to me that's the sign of an intelligent player who's trying different things. We need to be far more flexible in attack and his ability to move around can help provide that. Look at the own goal in the first leg. After his flick he didn't saunter along and admire what he'd done like their fullback. He kept running and got in a good supporting position. Today he didn't do much on the ball, none of our midfield did much when he was on because we were too busy hoofing the ball to their team to have time to give it to the midfield. But he worked hard and did a few good things defensively. If we had a team that actually tried to pass and move then he could regain some of his past form.