Germans set to bid for Emre (by Anal)

Skirge

Germans set for Emre bid

Mar 20 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

German outfit Hertha Berlin will test Newcastle United's resolve to hang on to Emre after the Turkish international was cleared by an independent commission of a charge of racial abuse in York yesterday.

Leading German side Bayern Munich also have a long-standing interest in the former Inter Milan midfielder, especially as they could lose England star Owen Hargreaves to Manchester United.

A lot of clubs have been waiting for the outcome of the Emre case, and there cannot be any doubt if he had been found guilty it would have been difficult for him not only to stay in the Premiership, but also in Europe.

That's why had he been found guilty the two leading clubs in Emre's native Istanbul - Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, would have moved in to try and get him on the cheap.

As far as United are concerned, it would have meant writing off the £6m they paid Inter Milan for Emre in the summer, 2005.

Now there will be no return home to Turkey for Emre but, in my view, it is not 100% sure that, despite forming a special bond with Glenn Roeder, he will be at St James' Park at the start of next season.

But first United must let the dust settle on yesterday's proceedings while Emre heads off to make a competitive return for Turkey this week following his international ban.

Freddy Shepherd led a high-powered United deputation at York yesterday which also included Roeder, players Nicky Butt and Kieron Dyer and chief operating officer Russell Cushing.

And Shepherd told me today: "I have to say that we had a very fair hearing and it is obvious the commission felt Emre did not have a case to answer.

"It has been a difficult time for Emre over the last three months and it cannot have been easy for him to have something like this hanging over his head.

"But he has kept his head up and showed his character after his calf injury in the way he came back into the team, first as a substitute in Holland on Thursday night and then at Charlton Athletic on Sunday.

"Like our injury situation, this is something we could have done without, but now we can get back to football."

It only took the five-man commission, including former England boss Graham Taylor who had taken in United's poor show at The Valley the day before, 12 minutes to deliver a not guilty verdict to the charge, which arose from the game with Everton at Goodison Park on December 30.

I understand that the Emre legal team went into the hearing with a reference from the Turkish Prime Minister.

And Emre's case was most definitely helped when evidence from two Everton players, keeper Tim Howard and defender Joleon Lescott, was conflicting.

Wouldn't like to see him go, because he oculd be a great player for us. However, he's never used properly so he might as well, and it might push us on to bring in someone like Sidwell - which would be great. Would still rather he stayed, though.

Germans set for Emre bid

Mar 20 2007

And Emre's case was most definitely helped when evidence from two Everton players, keeper Tim Howard and defender Joleon Lescott, was conflicting.

Conflicting? it is a Conspiracy at first place?

Germans set for Emre bid

Mar 20 2007

The difference is that one said they heard "n*gro" and the other said they heard "n*gger". Do you believe that two professionals would waste their own time and money on getting a fellow professional labelled as a racist?

As for the offers from Germany, if the money is right then I would sell him. £6m or more and I'd wave goodbye, which is a real shame, but I'm fairly sure he'd want to leave if Bayern Munich came in for him.

I'd let him go. Don't see him as a very creative midfielder. Very good at spinning around and is a skillful little player but I'd like to see a player with a more direct attacking approach. Someone who can split the opposition defense with a through pass..

Germans set for Emre bid

Mar 20 2007

The difference is that one said they heard "n*gro" and the other said they heard "n*gger". Do you believe that two professionals would waste their own time and money on getting a fellow professional labelled as a racist?

As for the offers from Germany, if the money is right then I would sell him. £6m or more and I'd wave goodbye, which is a real shame, but I'm fairly sure he'd want to leave if Bayern Munich came in for him.

i wonder if it's conspiracy because the media haven't mention this conflicting statement between those two players... and it did happen set the majority fans of NUFC were assuming that emre was guilty...

Germans set for Emre bid

Mar 20 2007

i wonder if it's conspiracy because the media haven't mention this conflicting statement between those two players... and it did happen set the majority fans of NUFC were assuming that emre was guilty...

The media has mentioned it, man, I read from numerous sources last night that the conflict was about the "n-word" which Emre had supposedly used, and Lescott and Howard giving different versions of it to the disciplinary panel. I'm sure it's also in the "Emre - NOT GUILTY" thread.

"Not guilty" doesn't always mean "not guilty", unfortunately. Unless you're a fella who doesn't like working with grey, and simply prefers black or white. Just because Emre hasn't been punished doesn't mean he categorically didn't say anything racist, does it?

Guest Alex20

It wouldn't make a sh!t of difference if you take out emre and put in lampard or gerrard,

with our crappy team, one player can't make a difference. It takes a team tbh.

Put emre in a team with players that are able to pass and have pace and creativity

and suddenly emre looks world class, is it because he is ? Doubt it, the same way I doubt

he's that bad. It's just the team's overall performance that makes emre's look awful.

I should know, i've watched him play since he was 15.

Overall opinion, SELL.

It wouldn't make a sh!t of difference if you take out emre and put in lampard or gerrard,

Put emre in a team with players that are able to pass and have pace and creativity

and suddenly emre looks world class, is it because he is ? Doubt it, the same way I doubt

he's that bad. It's just the team's overall performance that makes emre's look awful.

Overall opinion, SELL.

I think he'd be excellent at Bayern, do you?

Thought we paid less than £4m for him?

£3.8m if I'm not mistaken

3.8 is correct, dunno where the 6 came from!

£3.8m = 6m Euro. Anal O is just too thick to realize that there do exist other currencies in the world. As for the for the rehashing of the old Bayern rumour. I say it again, that the only source for it were English tabloids. There was never any credible German source backing this rumour. And the same can be said about this new Hertha rumour. I very much doubt that there is any substance in it. Hertha are  debt ridden and can't afford a lot. They hardly would be able to meet the asking price and match Emre's wage demands.

Germans set for Emre bid

Mar 20 2007

The media has mentioned it, man, I read from numerous sources last night that the conflict was about the "n-word" which Emre had supposedly used, and Lescott and Howard giving different versions of it to the disciplinary panel. I'm sure it's also in the "Emre - NOT GUILTY" thread.

"Not guilty" doesn't always mean "not guilty", unfortunately. Unless you're a fella who doesn't like working with grey, and simply prefers black or white. Just because Emre hasn't been punished doesn't mean he categorically didn't say anything racist, does it?

After reading of Emre statement at turkey media... i believe that he use aggressive words... this conspiracy i mean is like set fire more higher for attacking NUFC with clearly doesn't intent to help NUFC to get emre case down a bit... the act by the media flaming diouf & that watford player makes worst PR for NUFC... i was reading also that the difference of the "n" word that emre use was floated at first place by some lip reader... not lescott & howard

Overall opinion, SELL.

Since when has Emre looked awful? Hes consistently been one of our better players in his time here, and hes often put in good performances when the rest of the team arent playing well.

Hes like Dyer in that hes one of the few players who can force a shit side into playing decent football. Probably our most important outfield player after Owen, itll be nothing but a step backwards if we sell him as the only replacements well get will be workhorses who will probably just be slightly better versions of Parker/Butt at best.

Thought we paid less than £4m for him?

£3.8m if I'm not mistaken

3.8 is correct, dunno where the 6 came from!

£3.8m = 6m Euro. Anal O is just too thick to realize that there do exist other currencies in the world. As for the for the rehashing of the old Bayern rumour. I say it again, that the only source for it were English tabloids. There was never any credible German source backing this rumour. And the same can be said about this new Hertha rumour. I very much doubt that there is any substance in it. Hertha are  debt ridden and can't afford a lot. They hardly would be able meet the asking price and match Emre's wage demands.

Hertha. mackems.gif

How many times can one man say "wide of the mark"?

Roeder Italian job's off

Mar 20 2007

Glenn Roeder's Italian job has been called off at the last minute. The Newcastle United boss was due to fly to Milan tonight as part of his 12-month course to obtain his Pro-Licence.

But AC Milan informed Roeder they were unable to accommodate him because the expert on sports science he was going to see over a three-day period had been called away on club business.

Roeder told me today: "I was due to go to AC Milan for three days and it was all arranged for this week because we have so many players away on international duty.

"But it was called off this morning and re-arranged for next week on the proviso it would not interfere with our training for the game with Manchester City at St James' Park a week on Saturday.

"I will now go to take training on Tuesday and go straight to Milan and do what I have to do on the Wednesday, and be back to take the training session on the Thursday morning."

Roeder has now fewer than 10 players away on international duty - it would have been 11 if Steven Taylor had not pulled out of the England Under-21 squad for Saturday's game with Italy at Wembley - and he will not see most of them until a week on Thursday.

Not only that, but his No 2 Nigel Pearson is also with the England Under-21 squad, leaving the club's training ground looking a bit deserted.

Meanwhile, reports that United are going to make a move for Villarreal's former Manchester United striker Diego Forlan are well wide of the mark.

For Roeder's priority in the close season has to be defenders, and if it was left to me I would clear all the current lot out apart from Steven Taylor and Nobby Solano.

If we could get Sidwell on a free I'd sell Emre in a heartbeat.

Don't see the fuss on Sidwell, personally, but I'll admit to not being the expert on Reading. However, in the previous three Reading games I've seen in their entirety I've watched him closely and he has looked average, at best (two were against Man Utd, though!) He has constantly surrendered posession, doesn't seem to have any outstanding physical attributes other than stamina and he has never looked like scoring a goal. That's all I can base it on, though, because I don't remember paying particular attention to the lad before he started getting linked with us.

Certainly don't see him as being much better than what we already have. What, exactly, is so good about him? He's being a proper little runt with Reading as well and to me seems to be one of those "Jenas" players who is neither here-nor-there in regards to being an attacking or defensive midfielder. Certainly cannot imagine him being exciting alongside Butt or Parker and he's only got 4 goals in 32 appearances this season ('Boro, Tottenham & Villa x2). Good engine on him, undoubtedly, but hardly going to elevate us onto the next level, is he? 6 assists, too, but 2 were in the 6-0 over West Ham, 2 came at home to Sheffield United, 1 away to Man City and 1 at home to Charlton.

He's surely not an improvement on Emre?

Is this another baseless bandwagon we've started here? One person rates him and then numerous others, who've barely seen him, follow suit. Not accusing you of this Stozo, or others like tmonkey who I've seen rate him, but there are a fair few sheep around these days.