David Edgar

James

It is an interesting one, I've seen him a number of times for the reserves and he didn't really stand out as being any better than anyone else in the side but when he played against Man United and in the other game he played he looked more comfortable on the ball for sure, and looked like he may be able to make the step up.

Good defenders are hard to spot, as they are anonymous if playing well which is perhaps why he is hard to spot in the reserves.

Remember how Malaga bid for him on the basis of a single friendly appearance.

Well Roeder seems to take several over the top steps to protect his youngsters where possible:

a) Signing Duff to keep Zoggy in the background

b) Signing Srnicek to keep Krul out of the picture

c) Picking Bramble, Moore, Onyewu and Carr ahead of Taylor

Perhaps Roeder's waiting to unleash his star defender if and when he is 27 years old and able to play in a team with 10 other decent players.

Maybe Huntington looks better at reserve level, shows more innate qualities so to speak, so Roeder is hoping an extended run in the first-team will see Huntington realise his greater potential. ultimately though reserve level is not a proper test of how well a player will adapt, Edgar looks a lot better where it matters so should get the nod. Though it must be remembered that Edgar hasn't played as much so in a way, hasn't had a chance to mess up so far. It could be that after a dozen more games we'd be calling for his head.

I'd put Huntington out on loan in the Championship tbh, so that he can gain some much needed experience without getting mentally destroyed.

Edgar's contract being up this summer is worrying, to say the least.

http://nufc.com/2006-07html/squad.html

Perhaps he's agreed a deal to move elsewhere/has turned down a new contract and therefore Roeder is picking others ahead of him? Pure speculation, of course, but it's a theory nontheless. I don't see any other logic in why Huntington has been getting a game ahead of him after two particularly outstanding performances from the Canadian (Man Utd & West Ham). Granted, he was fairly poor away at Birmingham and was susceptible for perhaps both goals, but Huntington also had a fairly poor game at the same time - in his preferred position.

Just doesn't make sense to me. From what I've seen I concur with J in that Edgar looks our best prospect. If he's not going to get a look-in down the centre, then I think he could make a cracking right-back in the future from what he's shown in glimpses so far in regards to passing/ball control/pace.

The likes of Mosley could be very useful in here, as he's seen buckets of reserve games.

Edgar's contract being up this summer is worrying, to say the least.

http://nufc.com/2006-07html/squad.html

Perhaps he's agreed a deal to move elsewhere/has turned down a new contract and therefore Roeder is picking others ahead of him? Pure speculation, of course, but it's a theory nontheless. I don't see any other logic in why Huntington has been getting a game ahead of him after two particularly outstanding performances from the Canadian (Man Utd & West Ham). Granted, he was fairly poor away at Birmingham and was susceptible for perhaps both goals, but Huntington also had a fairly poor game at the same time - in his preferred position.

Just doesn't make sense to me. From what I've seen I concur with J in that Edgar looks our best prospect. If he's not going to get a look-in down the centre, then I think he could make a cracking right-back in the future from what he's shown in glimpses so far in regards to passing/ball control/pace.

The likes of Mosley could be very useful in here, as he's seen buckets of reserve games.

You may have something there, Edgar didn't even feature for the reserves tonight whereas Hunty did. Unless he's injured of course.

Maybe Huntington looks better at reserve level, shows more innate qualities so to speak, so Roeder is hoping an extended run in the first-team will see Huntington realise his greater potential. ultimately though reserve level is not a proper test of how well a player will adapt, Edgar looks a lot better where it matters so should get the nod. Though it must be remembered that Edgar hasn't played as much so in a way, hasn't had a chance to mess up so far. It could be that after a dozen more games we'd be calling for his head.

I'd put Huntington out on loan in the Championship tbh, so that he can gain some much needed experience without getting mentally destroyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Huntington

http://www.carling.com/football/newcastle-united-football-club/paul-huntington.html

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/unknown/viewarticle.aspx?id=263768

Huntington has won the "Wor Jackie Milburn" award although to be fair David Edgar isn't a north east native.

Would definitely love to see someone who has seen them first hand to shed more light and compare their current abilities and potential.

I lived in David Edgar's hometown here in Canada. He's an absolute hero over here. When he scored that goal against Man United, people couldn't stop talking about it. I truly hope he doesn't go somewhere else next year. I really can't see Roeder not resigning him though, and all indications are that he's happy at Newcastle.

Guest Gemmill

I lived in David Edgar's hometown here in Canada. He's an absolute hero over here.

It wants to be a fucking small town. :razz:

Conspiracy theories aside and maybe i am indeed missing something, but i put Edgars exclusion simply down to Roeder's incompetance personally. His display agaist Man u was incredible really, West ham v good again and he only had 1 shocker against Brum (along with the rest of the team) and is dropped!

Hunty's terrible there, out of position too. Baba's so so but never fit. Other than Edgar the only choice is Duff if we really need to go at a team.

Guest andynufc84

Aye after we went 2-0 down to West Ham he came on for Ramage and steadied the the backline very impressively. I havn't seen him play consistently but when I have I get the impression he has more class than Huntington and has the potential to be a better defender than Taylor.

Its a concern how he has just been left in the dark after a promising introduction. He didn't even get a look in for the reserves last night - whereas Huntington played and made a mistake that led to a goal. Unless he is injured or something?

I think he may leave in the summer

How many has he played? 2 I think .Man Ure  where he had a great game and scored a belta, then Brum where he had a stinker, but so did everyone else. I would love to know why he has not had more games at LB, would prefer him there to Huntington.

Guest Gemmill

I think he may leave in the summer

Where's he gonna go?  I know Huntington's been shite at left back, but what's Edgar, 18 years old?  He should no more expect to be getting a regular game than any other youth team player in the country.  He was thrown in as an emergency and did well, but maybe he played way above himself that day.  If he was that good, I imagine we'd have seen a bit more of him.

If he leaves expecting regular football elsewhere, the only place he's likely to get it is outside of the Premiership.

I'm confused where people have got the idea from that he's mr super defender, yes he has looked decently composed in the 200 odd minutes he's played for NUFC but that doesn't mean he's the new cannavarro. By no means am i saying either way that he's worth a shot in the team or not, I really don't know. I just dont understand why everyone thinks he's jesus mark 2.

I'm confused where people have got the idea from that he's mr super defender, yes he has looked decently composed in the 200 odd minutes he's played for NUFC but that doesn't mean he's the new cannavarro. By no means am i saying either way that he's worth a shot in the team or not, I really don't know. I just dont understand why everyone thinks he's jesus mark 2.

All I've read people saying is that he's looked better than Huntington and has had two very good performances against Man Utd and West Ham, and so deserves another chances AHEAD of Huntington.

I love it when people accuse others of "going off the deep end" about something, when the majority have done nothing of the sort.

Guest Toon83

I was also at last nights reserve game and Hunty looked average to say the least in a 3-1 defeat, it was strange that Edgar wasnt in the 16, which was brought up by alot of people around me.

Edgar, when he played, showed composure and class ahead of any of the defenders we have on out books, but for some reason, which knowone apart from Glenn Roeder knows, he has been dropped out of all things newcastle united, which suggests he may have an injury.

But the club have not announced anything of the sort

I am going to email NUFC and see if he is injured or not