Toon eye up 2 Benfica Stars

Skirge

Benfica duo Luisao and Nelson are reportedly on Newcastle United's summer shopping list.

Glenn Roeder is determined to transform The Magpies into a team capable of challenging for honours and has outlined the need to strengthen his squad.

He took in Portugal's game with Belgium on Saturday, while other members of staff watched several other Euro 2008 qualifiers over the weekend.

Reports have suggested that Luisao and Nelson, who were not involved in internationals at the weekend, are on Newcastle's radar.

Kenny Shepherd, son of Magpies chairman Freddy, confirmed the pair are on the shopping list, but played down talk the defenders are prime targets of Roeder.

"They are two of many names, but at the moment there is nothing concrete," Shepherd told Portuguese daily O Jogo.

"At the end of the season, we will see."

Luisao is a powerful centre-half, who is a Brazil international, while Nelson is capable of playing in either full-back position.

Nelson scored a stunning goal at Old Trafford earlier in the season as Benfica lost 3-1 to Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League.

Defence is an area Roeder is looking to strengthen in the summer and he is confident of having the funds available to inject extra quality into his squad.

Benfica duo Luisao and Nelson are reportedly on Newcastle United's summer shopping list.

Glenn Roeder is determined to transform The Magpies into a team capable of challenging for honours and has outlined the need to strengthen his squad.

He took in Portugal's game with Belgium on Saturday, while other members of staff watched several other Euro 2008 qualifiers over the weekend.

Reports have suggested that Luisao and Nelson, who were not involved in internationals at the weekend, are on Newcastle's radar.

Kenny Shepherd, son of Magpies chairman Freddy, confirmed the pair are on the shopping list, but played down talk the defenders are prime targets of Roeder.

"They are two of many names, but at the moment there is nothing concrete," Shepherd told Portuguese daily O Jogo.

Luisao is a powerful centre-half, who is a Brazil international, while Nelson is capable of playing in either full-back position.

Nelson scored a stunning goal at Old Trafford earlier in the season as Benfica lost 3-1 to Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League.

Defence is an area Roeder is looking to strengthen in the summer and he is confident of having the funds available to inject extra quality into his squad.

Not very clever alerting other clubs to our interest. I thought Roeder was all smoke and mirrors these days.

Not very clever alerting other clubs to our interest. I thought Roeder was all smoke and mirrors these days.

He is, this is just a double cross to throw you off.

Nelson would give us a great attacking full-back, he gets up and down the wings brilliantly. Not sure what he's like defensively though.

Guest Verlaine

He is, this is just a double cross to throw you off.

Nelson would give us a great attacking full-back, he gets up and down the wings brilliantly. Not sure what he's like defensively though.

I've heard the same about Rat, too. It'll be nice to have a couple of attack-minded (with the necessary quality) full-backs. Here's hoping!

Guest eltsacwen

Nelson is crap. A younger version of Baba and Carr. We will be robbed if we buy him for £4 mill. If seemed to me that the Benfica-supporterst didn't like him too much when I saw Benfica - Leiria in Lisbon two week ago. He isn't the strongest. Ok pace. But lacked confidence..(maybe because the crowd where  against him).. His crossing was terrible. And I don't thing his defending is good enough for any Premiership-club. He will be nothing in a lesser team than Benfica. And 0 in a team like Newcastle with no clear style of football

Link?

Luisao is a beast i love him! Reminds of gooch a bit (now gooch is bald) as both are massive....Luisao far better tho imo based on what i've seen on the both of them. Luisao would cost a bomb load i think.....

Has anyone else noticed the quotes are from Kenny Shepherd, not Fred or Bruce. He has no role in running the club and should keep his mouth shut on club matters like this.

To be fair to Gleen and Freddie I bet niether of them are happy he's opened his gob about this.

Luisao - big, chunky, no nonsense. Only ever heard good things about him, and saw him vs Man Utd and had a very good game. Regular in the heart of Brazil's defense n'all, so can't be that bad! No nowt about Nelson. As far as wing-back goes, i beg that we go for someone proven with known quality, no more gambles for goodness sake. Get it right.

Luisao - big, chunky, no nonsense. Only ever heard good things about him, and saw him vs Man Utd and had a very good game. Regular in the heart of Brazil's defense n'all, so can't be that bad! No nowt about Nelson. As far as wing-back goes, i beg that we go for someone proven with known quality, no more gambles for goodness sake. Get it right.

Yep, if we are going to bother sorting it out we need to do it properly! Whens the last time we had a quality regular full back? I loved Bernard when he was here but even he was suspect in his positioning!

Going to be controversial here, but Domi? Thought he was a very good full-back when he played for us.

Have to say I agree for the most part of his time here.

Nelson is crap. A younger version of Baba and Carr. We will be robbed if we buy him for £4 mill. If seemed to me that the Benfica-supporterst didn't like him too much when I saw Benfica - Leiria in Lisbon two week ago. He isn't the strongest. Ok pace. But lacked confidence..(maybe because the crowd where  against him).. His crossing was terrible. And I don't thing his defending is good enough for any Premiership-club. He will be nothing in a lesser team than Benfica. And 0 in a team like Newcastle with no clear style of football

Probably the best opinion on here since someone has actually seen him play.

Rocha sounded out Luisao to reform their Benfica partnership at Spurs.

Indication was that he wanted a) a CL team that b) played in Spain.

That's not saying that nothing could happen but not confident.

Not being funny but it seems EVERY player Newcastle are linked with have been "sounded out" by Spurs in some way.

In regards to Domi, I agree just a shame his head went!

Not being funny but it seems EVERY player Newcastle are linked with have been "sounded out" by Spurs in some way.

In regards to Domi, I agree just a shame his head went!

What do you expect from someone who talks constantly from their arse?

Guest Verlaine

ITKITKTITKTITITKKTDAFDGSHN

ITKITKTITKTITITKKTDAFDGSHN

Spot on.  :lol: