Champions League Qualification - Cup or League?

Martin Lol
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

So all the little clubs that get on a lucky run and end up in or around the final should get into the CL? Stupid idea. I'm all for smaller clubs doing well (as long as we do better), but it's the same as the whole 'minnow' debate regarding Andorra etc - it's just a poorer level of competition and thats not what the CL is all about.

brilliant idea imo. at the moment: the fa cup is losing reputation. there is 0 competition in the league. the same teams will qualify for the CL every year, increasing the gap between them, football as a whole is more boring.

your forgetting that even irish teams have teams entered for the champions league, so how would the winner of the fa cup be worse than say, shelborne. its not as if they get automatic qualification, they would have to qualify depending on their seeding which if it was, say millwall, would make it very likely that they would get knocked out. all for it imo, and when you see some of the teams getting into the last 32 (mid table prem teams or even worse) it wont bring it down one iota.

also: if the team doesn't win then it should fall back to 4th place, with the runner up going into the wafa instead (maybe even possibility of cl for winner, wafa for loser and increase the amount of qualification spots available for the wafa in the big leagues by 1. (its not like there aren't a gazzillion qualifing rounds already).

wafa winners should also get cl footie.

How is the FA Cup losing it's reputation considering since 1988, only two teams outside the "big 4" have won it? (Spurs in 91 & Everton in 95).

its not as big as it used to be. i'm not saying its small lyke, and that people don't want to win it, but i don't think its the best competition in the world anymore.

Apart from what the English press say, when has it ever been that way? Difference is, in the "olden days", the FA Cup final was one of the only English matches televised worldwide. These days you can see 4-5 Premiership matches a weekend anywhere around the world so it's not as special.

The G14 will go mental and threaten a breakaway league etc. Won't happen.

I would have agreed with you if it wasn't now coming out that the 3 teams who have put forward the idea are Glasgow Rangers, Bayern Munich and Barcelona.  I'm shocked tbh that the last 2 named clubs would even entertain the idea..................... unless they are convinced they will qualify automatically and it may do some harm to their rivals.

Guest Nufc4Life

What a load of fucking bollocks.

Its the CHAMPIONS League, iMO its a sham even putting 2nd place, 3rd place and 4th place in it, the CHAMPIONS league should be wherre THE CHAMPIONS play, not fucking idiots who finish 2nd, 3rd 4th, its a farce. Its a disgrace that a team who finishes 4th can get in the champions league, ridciulous idea to include cup winners to. PATHETIC

What a load of f****** bollocks.

Its the CHAMPIONS League, iMO its a sham even putting 2nd place, 3rd place and 4th place in it, the CHAMPIONS league should be wherre THE CHAMPIONS play, not f****** idiots who finish 2nd, 3rd 4th, its a farce. Its a disgrace that a team who finishes 4th can get in the champions league, ridciulous idea to include cup winners to. PATHETIC

The main Euro competition is much better the way it is now. Once upon a time the UEFA Cup was harder to win than the European Cup, because for every Man U, Inter, Barcelona & Bayern Munich that would get in the European Cup, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Valencia, Milan, Juventus, Werder Bremen, etc. would be in the UEFA Cup. Absolutely nothing wrong with it now imo.

• 4 months later...

Their is one example which solely proves that is a terrible idea and that is the 2004 FA Cup final, if this new idea had been in play then you would have ended up with Millwall in the Champions League.

4th in the League all the way for me. A 38 game slog to finish 4th in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe or a flukey 6 game run to get to a cup final? I know which one deserves the CL spot.

I can see the logic behind enhancing the FA Cup but I think a spot in the UEFA Cup is reward enough. I also agree that the UEFA Cup winners should get a CL spot the following season.

why not go back to the idea of the Champions League

only Champions ie first place winners in it .............

cuts the flow of funds to the biggest clubs, cuts the number of games, puts more attention back on the National Leagues..........

why not go back to the idea of the Champions League

only Champions ie first place winners in it .............

cuts the flow of funds to the biggest clubs, cuts the number of games, puts more attention back on the National Leagues..........

agree

its called the CHAMPIONS league so only the champions of each top league should be allowed into it