Fred's Pledge

Skirge

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1005458,00.html

Toon Chief's Summer Signings Pledge

By Craig Hope

NEWCASTLE United chairman Freddy Shepherd has pledged to strengthen the Magpies first-team squad during the close season.

The Toon chief has made the promise on the same day that the club unveiled £300m development plans, which include increasing the capacity of St.James' Park to 60,000.

Shepherd said: "We know that the team needs looking at in more ways than one and that's what we are concentrating on.

"The squad will be strengthened in the close season - and really has there ever been a summer when there have not been comings and goings at St James' Park?"

Glenn Roeder and his scouts were out in number over the recent international period, casting their eye over potential transfer targets ahead of the summer.

Meanwhile, the planned development around St.James' Park announced on Monday will also include hotels, luxury apartments and a major conference centre.

Funding for the scheme, Number 1 at St.James' Park, will be completely independent of the football club's revenues and is expected to create 1,500 jobs.

Perhaps so, but if we spend anything less than £10m this summer I'll be extremely surprised.

Whether we have the money or not, if things don't improve on the playing side before this season finally ends then Shepherd will see no alternative to bringing in some big-name signings. I know I've raised a couple of eyebrows by suggesting this in previous weeks, but we spent over £15m last summer after a season without European football and after spending £50m the summer before.

This season we've got increased revenue from Europe and the increased TV money alongside it, which to me will equate to the cash being splashed in July/August. I know people will say that everyone else is getting the same on the TV front, but other countries aren't - so I'd expect a fair few players coming in from abroad, rather than from domestic clubs.

Roeder and Shepherd could be hanging by a thread by May-time, it will be the last roll of the dice for the manager at the very least, regardless of future consequences.

Like FS said, independant from the clubs finances, we have made quite abit this season even without the desired silverwear. £20mil would be sufficient to get us started on the road to success come the summer.

Its essential  for this club to spend big this summer

I hope something in the region of 20-30m will do the job

And also im hoping that finally Roeder will get rid of the players that arent good enough(Carr,Bramble,Babayaro,Moore,Sib)especially when he promised he will do so...

we need to spend big but wisely and roeder is not the man to spend it imho .he talks of the names we want to hear and we dont get because of dithering and overall ineptitude in motivation and tactics.

Guest smoggeordie

Once again it's close to Season ticket renewal time.

This really is his last throw of the dice, he knows it as well.

Guest andynufc84

When i opened this thread i hoped it was going to say "to leave"

We may spend big, but we'll probably buy the wrong players as always, don't trust anyone at the

club to get it right.

I do feel a big spending spree comign on like, and it has never beenmore needed than it is now.

I'd rather we forked out getting a decent manager first.

Forget the new manager thing, even if we finsih 1 place  above relegation Roeder will not be sacked, I just hope when the season ends we do not see the slow arse heel dragging bollocks we have seen for the past few seasons in transfer windows. Roder needs to decide who he wants and fast, then Fred needs to act and get them fkn signed!

Why do we need to spend big? It's been shown by teams like Bolton, Blackburn and Reading that you don't need to spend big to get success. Why can't we bring in a couple of free's like Sidwell and Ben Haim. Then all we need is 2 or 3 more palyers who we could probobly obtain for £10-15 million.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Skirge, have you ever thought that Roeder did that in the past two windows but since he has no real pulling power or managerial qualities that may make a player who wants to win things think twice about signing on at Newcastle

Guest NIToon

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1005458,00.html

Toon Chief's Summer Signings Pledge

By Craig Hope

NEWCASTLE United chairman Freddy Shepherd has pledged to strengthen the Magpies first-team squad during the close season.

The Toon chief has made the promise on the same day that the club unveiled £300m development plans, which include increasing the capacity of St.James' Park to 60,000.

Shepherd said: "We know that the team needs looking at in more ways than one and that's what we are concentrating on.

"The squad will be strengthened in the close season - and really has there ever been a summer when there have not been comings and goings at St James' Park?"

Glenn Roeder and his scouts were out in number over the recent international period, casting their eye over potential transfer targets ahead of the summer.

Meanwhile, the planned development around St.James' Park announced on Monday will also include hotels, luxury apartments and a major conference centre.

Funding for the scheme, Number 1 at St.James' Park, will be completely independent of the football club's revenues and is expected to create 1,500 jobs.

What number is that then, I thought part of the problem was a lack of scouts

We need that many players its going to cost big money!

There is no way of knowing if our lack of signings is due to Roeder or Fred, did lots of players knock us back ? I can't remember to many stories saying this player/that does not want to join us. You know the way this club works can keep fl all seceret from the media.

Obviously it's season ticket sales time, not being cynical or anything!

wasn't the owen bid just a rouse to get people to buy season tickets,as was the rooney bid,all be it a couple of weeks after the season started.

I do feel a big spending spree comign on like, and it has never beenmore needed than it is now.

I'd rather we forked out getting a decent manager first.

Forget the new manager thing, even if we finsih 1 place  above relegation Roeder will not be sacked, I just hope when the season ends we do not see the slow arse heel dragging bollocks we have seen for the past few seasons in transfer windows. Roder needs to decide who he wants and fast, then Fred needs to act and get them fkn signed!

IMO it's pointless just throwing cash at the situation to rectify the mess when the man placed in charge of spending the amount isn't good enough, we've been here once before remember.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

bringing in better "big name" players won't help us long term; if we still have a shit manager/coaches/scouts/youth system we'll never progress

bringing in better "big name" players won't help us long term; if we still have a shit manager/coaches/scouts/youth system we'll never progress

Correctamundo....

Fix the head and the body will take care of itself. ;)