Tonight's games

Aphrodite

Watched the second half of the Spurs game, fucking dull I thought. Spurs seemed content with the scoreline and happy to lob long balls forward in the last 15, and Sevilla didn't really seem to have any ideas about how to break them down. Malbranque had the only chance I can remember, can't believe he doesn't start.

Missed this game unfortunately, except for the last 20 minutes.

I see the BBC were watching the wrong game:

"But Valencia were thrown a lifeline as Robinson was adjudged to have dragged down Correia when he appeared to have cleanly clawed the ball away from the Sevilla's player feet."

Delicately poised for the second leg. I can see both teams scoring. Both good going forward, Spurs have to go for a goal and could leave gaps at the back as time wears on. I'm sure Sevilla will go there as if the game was 0-0 and try to get an away goal, exactly the way Newcastle should have approached the AZ game (instead of Roeder's infamous "we don't need to score" pre-match quotes).

Regarding Malbranque, I think he's an absolutely quality player and wanted him at Newcastle for ages before he signed for Spurs. Lennon, though undoubtedly a canny player with potential, is definitely overrated. I'm surprise Malbranque didn't start this game.

Feyenoord were kicked out of Europe for less than what the Spurs fans did last night. Or once again, are English fans "badly treated" abroad. And also, how many more times are the British fans/media etc going to hide behind the "heavy handed police" as an excuse to cause bother.

Guest kingdawson

Feyenoord were kicked out of Europe for less than what the Spurs fans did last night. Or once again, are English fans "badly treated" abroad. And also, how many more times are the British fans/media etc going to hide behind the "heavy handed police" as an excuse to cause bother.

How were they kicked out for less??

Anyway the ref was a disgrace. Would have taken 2-1 beforehand though.

They were OTT though and in my limited experience the police have been very much up for a bit of bother.

Over the top because the fans kicked off. Think it was Robbie Earle who last night said the bother started after the penalty incident. And even before kick-off the Sevilla fans were chanting "Hool-hool-hooligans" because of disturbances outside the ground.

Over the top because the fans kicked off. Think it was Robbie Earle who last night said the bother started after the penalty incident. And even before kick-off the Sevilla fans were chanting "Hool-hool-hooligans" because of disturbances outside the ground.

What about that fan who was hit about 10 times when he was on the floor? Suppose that was his fault the copper kept whacking him?

the thing is, with the reputation of English fans, benign behaviour such as standing in large groups in the city centre chanting and singing songs is misinterpreted as hooligan behaviour. This is how papers have reported it:

"Riot police had already made their presence known an hour before the match, using batons to disperse a group of Spurs fans who had congregated near the hotel where the Sevilla team were located.

Around 50 Spurs fans were chanting, gesticulating and causing an obstruction for passing vehicles in the street.

A couple of cups of liquid were thrown from the area where the Spurs fans were standing and, as the visiting supporters moved closer to the Sevilla team bus, the riot police intervened."

Seems like the spurs fans were doing nothing really, as officials have said, there appeared to be no conflict between the two sets of fans, only between spurs and the cops. not sure it was as bad as Feyenoord either, who got the match halted for 20 minutes while tear gas brought them under control.

the thing is, with the reputation of English fans, benign behaviour such as standing in large groups in the city centre chanting and singing songs is misinterpreted as hooligan behaviour. This is how papers have reported it:

"Riot police had already made their presence known an hour before the match, using batons to disperse a group of Spurs fans who had congregated near the hotel where the Sevilla team were located.

Around 50 Spurs fans were chanting, gesticulating and causing an obstruction for passing vehicles in the street.

A couple of cups of liquid were thrown from the area where the Spurs fans were standing and, as the visiting supporters moved closer to the Sevilla team bus, the riot police intervened."

Seems like the spurs fans were doing nothing really, as officials have said, there appeared to be no conflict between the two sets of fans, only between spurs and the cops. not sure it was as bad as Feyenoord either, who got the match halted for 20 minutes while tear gas brought them under control.

Heavy handed policing tbh.

And I suppose fans have never had a go at policemen.

Of course they do but the way the police go OTT (often before anything has happened) causes even more problems and winds people up. In the way into a game once there was probably about 30 of us just walking to where we were supposed to be sitting and a copper randomly got the hump and started shouting and pushing us around. I have seen on more than one occasion police holding back their colleagues because they have completely lost it.

Guest kingdawson

Do you actually know what happened in the Feyenord game or are you just making random shite up?. There was absolutly no altercation between the two sets of fans so i fail to see how it was worse.

not to mention 500 feyenoord fans rioting in Nancy before and after the match, or the fact that UEFA said Feyenoord's extra punishment was because of so many incidents involving their fans in recent years.

And also, how many more times are the British fans/media etc going to hide behind the "heavy handed police" as an excuse to cause bother.

How many times are people going perpetuate the "English fans at it again" myth? The media both here and abroad are happy to keep it alive because it sells papers. A few chairs flying around is made out to be a war zone, it's ridiculous. This stuff is happening all over Europe.

Both in Sevilla and Roma the video evidence leaves the police with questions to answer. How come only Man Utd and Tottenham fans ended up in hospital, yet Roma and Sevilla fans went home safe?

And also, how many more times are the British fans/media etc going to hide behind the "heavy handed police" as an excuse to cause bother.

How many times are people going perpetuate the "English fans at it again" myth? The media both here and abroad are happy to keep it alive because it sells papers. A few chairs flying around is made out to be a war zone, it's ridiculous. This stuff is happening all over Europe.

Both in Sevilla and Roma the video evidence leaves the police with questions to answer. How come only Man Utd and Tottenham fans ended up in hospital, yet Roma and Sevilla fans went home safe?

Reminds me of the people hating Ronaldo thing in the summer, we only hated him because we were completely blaming him for us going out in the summer apparently. Also see the overreaction to our own players diving, I think some people have something in them that makes them think if they blame us or go OTT when we do something wrong then they arent being a hypocrite.

Its the same when people over rate a player, you get people who feel the need to completely under rate the player as they seem to have the urge to compensate.

Guest Geordiesned

Only 12 minutes to go in the Man City v Charlton match and it's still goalless meaning we'll only be 6 points above the relegation zone if it stays that way.

You reckon Glenn's looking over his shoulder yet??

Do you actually know what happened in the Feyenord game or are you just making random shite up?. There was absolutly no altercation between the two sets of fans so i fail to see how it was worse.

Did you actually go to this particular match, then?