Newcastle 0 - 0 Arsenal - Post match thoughts

Dave

Arsenal were there for the taking today. Some might not agree but I think if we had Ameobi today we'd have caused them all sorts of problems. They weren't confident with any of the balls which came their way, both aeriel and on the ground. Martins had the measure of them he just needed some physical presence alongside him to win those aeriel balls and hold it up. Because we had to midgets up front Martins had to go for all those balls.

We definitely lost something when Dyer came off.

Butt was immense and I was impressed with our defence today. Still not convinced by Gooch and don't think he's good enough but credit where it's due he hardly put a foot wrong today, matched Adebayor for pace and power didn't give him any room. Taylor and Solano were fantastic and Carr didn't let us down. If Dyer had stayed on or if we'd had a powerful striker I reckon we'd have won this one. Duff showed a lot of hunger and seems to be approaching some sort of form.

Two points dropped rather than one gained. But at least for the mean time we seem to have got our act together. That intertoto place is still a possibility.

If I could be arsed to write much about that game today, it would sound extremely similar to that post right there. Maybe I'd say Duff was infuriating in the second-half and probably should have notched one of his "chances", that Emre offered us a good deal more from midfield than Parker has done for a while and that Nicky Butt was immense, apart from his fucking passing, as usual - never seen him win so many 50/50's and important challenges, though. Correct decision for MOTM in my book, but those stray, simple passes really wind me up - especially when it kills breaks. I should also point out that he's probably a worse passer of the ball than Parker (over short distances), amazingly - but that would surely open up a can of worms.

Shame we couldn't nick it, because Arsenal were very, very poor and completely toothless.

Dyer was fairly awful, but we didn't half go dead when he had to come off and Steven Taylor was fairly excellent, again. He (Dyer) is undoubtedly better on the right, which he's proven numerous times with numerous performances in that position over the years - but how can you drop Milner on his form? Thing is, we absolutely could murder teams if we had a striker who thrived on crosses/dangerous balls into the box, because Duff and Milner can provide them - but then we'd apparently only play "long ball football". Martins would be a lot better because of it, as well, at times today he had no choice BUT to be the one man band he gets slated for being.

Ah well, that was more than I was expecting to write for such a "nothing" match - at least we didn't lose. Also, Jens Lehmann cursing at a ballboy in German... classy! O0

I thought Butt was the official MOM?

I agree with whoever said Gooch was no better than Bramble, people who suggest we splash a further few million on him need their heads read tbh.

Decent result but it was there for the taking, Milner was very good for 50mins or so before they started taking control.

Solano did well today, Martins battled hard and had some decent moment but nothing special.

Probably the last we see of Dyer this season.

Emre needs to calm down a bit and think about things a lot more! People always harp on about how rash Parker is but Emre is just as bad, some of his fouls are stupid and predictable.

Butt did very well. Carr was fairly good tbh but did fall asleep at an important moment and could have cost us any points!

to be honest both teams looked a little jaded - dont agree with the sat/mon situation

doesnt do much for the fans to watch never mind the players.... its fans money at the end of the day

I find it a bit strange that players whine about playin 2 games in 3 days, they are fit as f*** and get paid for it. It shouldnt affect them that much. my team has a back log of games so Iv had to play Sat, Yesterday, Today and tomorrow, and I dont feel that bad!

i agree they are fit but as a consequence you expect fast flowing high paced football

doesnt matter how fit you are you'll be jaded in the prem after 2 games in 3 days

unlike pub teams jogging around drinking lager at half time ;-)

Mate, I resent that comment, I workin my arse off in a game and our manager beasts us in trainin! i actually play county football so its a step up from local football but still! lol

sorry didn't mean to offend.....

mind you if youre doing 3 in 3 thats some effort

as for your manager beasting you... errrrr ;-)

thats actually quite a sick thought, my manager is probably the fattest fucker I know!  it is hard doin that many games, its hard enough just playin sat and sun for me most of the time and consider myself quite fit. I cant imagine im anything on prem players for fitness though so I just would really have thought theyd be able to handle 2 games in 3 days better than they make out.

It was no-ones idea to play Zoggy up front.  Iirc Emre played further upfield and Zoggy took over the centre midfield role.  I think Zoggy is better on the left too but he says he's best in centre midfield and Roeder didn't really have a choice.  It was Dyer coming off, not Duff.  Duff is best on the left.

Agreed with the rest.

Emre started upfront after Dyer went off, or 'off the striker', whatever. But then after about 5 minutes CNZ went up top

Just got back. As a whole, we outplayed them for long spells, but we were really disappointing in the second half, I thought, especially as Arsenal were shocking; a better team would've hurt us when our performance dropped.

Thought Butt had a really good game as did Milner. Emre did OK first half, but was awful in the second. Taylor looked decent, but Adebayor got in front of him a few times and he failed to read a few 1-2s that could've hurt us (if Arsenal were at the races). Gooch, well he's immense in the air, but the rest of his game's not up to much. Carr was alright, but some his passing is awful and the fat bastard can barely be arsed to run nowdays. Nobby did well today and he should take set-pieces off Emre. Duff was alright and actually quite good in parts: poor final ball and faded badly. Dyer was canny bad, he's been on a poor run of games. Martins was Martins, basically: our change of formation didn't help him one bit in the second half. N'Zogbia was appalling, imo, when he came on.

LUQUE!  ;D

It was no-ones idea to play Zoggy up front.  Iirc Emre played further upfield and Zoggy took over the centre midfield role.  I think Zoggy is better on the left too but he says he's best in centre midfield and Roeder didn't really have a choice.  It was Dyer coming off, not Duff.  Duff is best on the left.

Agreed with the rest.

Emre started upfront after Dyer went off, or 'off the striker', whatever. But then after about 5 minutes CNZ went up top

Emre was definitely playing off Martins for a bit, but I couldn't really see where Zog was supposed to be playing. It was definitely in CM at first and he drifted forward later on, but I don't think even he knew where he should've been. He didn't help Martins out much.

It's too bad we didn't get the three points since the teams ahead of us who were playing all had draws or loses. Those extra two points would have meant a lot towards a run for Europe next year. But at the same time, this was supposed to be a match that we were in trouble of losing all three points on, and we managed to get something out of it.

Before any of us get upset over how we did today, we just have to imagine that we were Portsmouth fans, and we'll all feel better.

I'm content.

Guest derek sausage

What a complete load of boring shite. Probably the worst Arsenal side I've seen for years and we still didnt have the

bottle to go for the win. Thanks for spoiling my afternoon with your tactics Glenn.

Turgid.

Don't hold back, Rabbi Paul, tell us what you really think.

Howard Webb was utterly shocking, by the way, as per usual.

.. i've seen several of Webb's games and i've always been impressed with his decisions and his behavior. i think he's one of the better english refs.. but yeah, today he made some really stupid decisions..

Turgid.

.. i've seen several of Webb's games and i've always been impressed with his decisions and his behavior. i think he's one of the better english refs.. but yeah, today he made some really stupid decisions..

Agreed.

Agreed with the rest.

Emre was definitely playing off Martins for a bit, but I couldn't really see where Zog was supposed to be playing. It was definitely in CM at first and he drifted forward later on, but I don't think even he knew where he should've been. He didn't help Martins out much.

from where i was sat it looked like emre made the change to put n'zog up and drop himself back into midfield.

pretty good display but lacking a cutting edge,milner and butt top men,closely followed by taylor and carr then solano.

Turgid.

Agreed.

Aye, thirded. Personally thought he was excellent in the Carling Cup final.

Turgid.

Agreed.

There have been too many incidents over the years with Webb and Newcastle that have turned me off to the bloke, although I do appreciate that he seems to have a better reputation than most these days. Speaking as a Toon fan, though, he's not in my good books at all.

EDIT: I should really note that the "as per usual" referred to him in Newcastle games, as this seems to be where the confusion is stemming from.

We were the better side and should have taken the three points. Having said that, I was expecting a defeat this afternoon and would have taken a 0-0 draw before the game, so I'm quite content.

We seemed to have carried on from Saturday by playing much better than of late. There was a bit of determination and some nice football. Not a bad game at all.

I wouldn't disagree with Butt getting MOM, but he was one of several who could've been awarded it without too many disagreements. Taylor and Solano were among the other contenders.

Yeh, Taylor was quality again. In these last two games I swear he's won pretty much every header in the box. Really thought he was going to break through on goal too, that would have been mint!

Turgid.

Agreed.

There have been too many incidents over the years with Webb and Newcastle that have turned me off to the bloke, although I do appreciate that he seems to have a better reputation than most these days. Speaking as a Toon fan, though, he's not in my good books at all.

EDIT: I should really note that the "as per usual" referred to him in Newcastle games, as this seems to be where the confusion is stemming from.

Can't disagree with much you say.  Howard seems to save some of his worst performances for us.  Generally I think he's an excellent referee but today he was quite poor.

Guest andynufc84

That was the worst Arsenal team i've seen at SJP, very poor. Still proof that the forth in the premiership ain't impossible.

Newcastle couldn't capitalise on this, due to our own short cominings, but overall reflecting on the easter weekend, 4 points is a good return. Thought Solano was excellent at RB, Taylor also v good at CB