Transfer policy next season

biggs

Sunday Sun Sport

United boss' scouting trip

Apr 15 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Glenn Roeder

Glenn Roeder will fly off on a European scouting mission this week as he closes in on several summer transfer targets.

The Newcastle boss will take in a league game on the Continent, either France or Italy, to run the rule over potential signings.

And he last night insisted that United are in a position to move swiftly at the end of the season to land the men he wants.

"Recruiting for next season is ongoing - we're watching players all the time," said Roeder, chasing three defenders and a midfielder.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm aware of potential signings playing in the Premiership and every weekend we're out and about in Europe. I'm making a trip into Europe on Wednesday following up on a couple of players.

"This season we've clocked up more air miles watching players than ever before."

Roeder, as revealed by the Sunday Sun last month, is confident of landing Reading's Steve Sidwell on a free.

French sources suggest he is also keen on Nancy's left-sided central defender Pape Diakhate. But the United boss is also confident of an imminent off-field signing.

"I hope to be able to make a key appointment in terms of scouting in the very near future," he said. "I think there will be more of a European flavour about our set-up."

well i am pretty much confused about this last paragraph ,i thought roeder said earlier in the season that he was after proven premiership experience in players so does that mean he has changed his plans and if so why .the man is obviously making things up as he goes along with no real plan if this is true .there are a few promising young players in the prem and championship at the minute who you could mix with some experienced players to bring on the young uns .so i wonder if roeder feels he cannot afford them so is now changing direction and going for the cheaper european option . :rant:.

just another sign that the man is clueless and i am worried this summer we will be on the "roeder to nowhere" :nope:

well i am pretty much confused about this last paragraph ,i thought roeder said earlier in the season that he was after proven premiership experience in players so does that mean he has changed his plans and if so why .the man is obviously making things up as he goes along with no real plan if this is true .there are a few promising young players in the prem and championship at the minute who you could mix with some experienced players to bring on the young uns .so i wonder if roeder feels he cannot afford them so is now changing direction and going for the cheaper european option . :rant:.

just another sign that the man is clueless and i am worried this summer we will be on the "roeder to nowhere" :nope:

In the last paragraph he's talking about signing a new scout not a new player.

All this flying around...Wtf do the scouts do?

we only have one i think david mills .mentions a scout appointment hopefully but as its been mentioned in other threads why so fooking long to get one

Glenn Roeder will fly off on a European scouting mission this week as he closes in on several summer transfer targets.

The Newcastle boss will take in a league game on the Continent, either France or Italy, to run the rule over potential signings.

And he last night insisted that United are in a position to move swiftly at the end of the season to land the men he wants.

"Recruiting for next season is ongoing - we're watching players all the time," said Roeder, chasing three defenders and a midfielder.

Firstly, that's not the last paragraph and secondly, what is wrong with looking at Europeon players? Your clutching at straws to try and make Roeder look bad.

You should know by now that a lot of things Roeder tells the press are deliberately misleading, such as the "I have no interest in Onyewu" quote from mid-January.

I would have thought we needed one senior scout in each major Euro league as a minimum. :idiot2:

The big clubs maybe have but we dont

Apart from that i agree with you that we need to have scouts everywhere in Europe especially in Italy,France,Spain,Germany,Holland

Firstly, that's not the last paragraph and secondly, what is wrong with looking at Europeon players? Your clutching at straws to try and make Roeder look bad.

You should know by now that a lot of things Roeder tells the press are deliberately misleading, such as the "I have no interest in Onyewu" quote from mid-January.

my point is when roeder first took over and got his foot in the door he said we are after players who know the premiership and are home grown if my memory is correct .if you want to nit pick read the article and you can interpret it with your veiw if you like but if we are getting a scout and in roeders words a european flavour .

Guest Phil K

Roeder said much the same before the Aug 31st deadline and the January deadline.

He f*****d up on both occasions.

Any doubt he'll f*** up again ?

Roeder said much the same before the Aug 31st deadline and the January deadline.

He f*****d up on both occasions.

Any doubt he'll f*** up again ?

Don't even need to ask that question do you?

Goes without saying.

What happened to those West Ham scouts we signed?

Gejon,

Weren't they Coaches? Seem to recall (might be wrong mind!) the appointment of those two was quickly followed by Tommy Craig's unfortunate departure on the coaching side.

they're youth scouts iirc, was quite a coup getting them as Wham's scouting at youth levels is supposed to be the best in the country.

Makes more sense, cheers.

they're youth scouts iirc, was quite a coup getting them as Wham's scouting at youth levels is supposed to be the best in the country.

They used to be good, but now no more than decent.  Just taken a couple of bods from Charlton's youth setup, which was never great at all.  Arsenal's system still streets ahead of the rest (and yes, I do know the Youth Cup final this season is between Liverpool and Man Utd).

Sunday Sun Sport

United boss' scouting trip

Apr 15 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Glenn Roeder

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm aware of potential signings playing in the Premiership and every weekend we're out and about in Europe. I'm making a trip into Europe on Wednesday following up on a couple of players.

"This season we've clocked up more air miles watching players than ever before."

Roeder, as revealed by the Sunday Sun last month, is confident of landing Reading's Steve Sidwell on a free.

French sources suggest he is also keen on Nancy's left-sided central defender Pape Diakhate. But the United boss is also confident of an imminent off-field signing.

"I hope to be able to make a key appointment in terms of scouting in the very near future," he said. "I think there will be more of a European flavour about our set-up."

Do you think these comment's about "a new appointment in terms of scouting" and "more of a european flavour to our set up" is a reference to a Director of Football?