The nationals start to call Roeder to task on his excuses

BottledDog

I don't think Roeder should be the manager. Forgetting his media spiel for a moment we should try to remember to some important points:

1) We HAVE had a lot of injuries and this has disrupted the team very badly.

2) We are not Man U and have neither the squad depth or finance to make one.

I know the transfer windows appeared to be poorly utilised but losing Owen, Duff, Dyer, Baba (our only left back), Moore (our only experienced CB) and Given for large chunks or all of the season was always going to hurt us.

Then there was Emre's injury/suspension (best CM partnership with Butt), N'Zogbia's injury,  I've not even included Shola because i don't think he's good enough.

Losing fringe players like Harper and Ramage to injury meaning we have to play Srnicek and Huntington (or Solano filling in).

Roeder can't be to blame for everything, just everything that is within his minimal influence. Losing all those players meant this was going to be a bad season, fact.

I'm more curious as to why we've had sooooooo many injuries, personally.

Or should i say, sooooooo many injuries AGAIN....

I don't think Roeder should be the manager. Forgetting his media spiel for a moment we should try to remember to some important points:

1) We HAVE had a lot of injuries and this has disrupted the team very badly.

2) We are not Man U and have neither the squad depth or finance to make one.

I know the transfer windows appeared to be poorly utilised but losing Owen, Duff, Dyer, Baba (our only left back), Moore (our only experienced CB) and Given for large chunks or all of the season was always going to hurt us.

Then there was Emre's injury/suspension (best CM partnership with Butt), N'Zogbia's injury,  I've not even included Shola because i don't think he's good enough.

Losing fringe players like Harper and Ramage to injury meaning we have to play Srnicek and Huntington (or Solano filling in).

Roeder can't be to blame for everything, just everything that is within his minimal influence. Losing all those players meant this was going to be a bad season, fact.

I'm more curious as to why we've had sooooooo many injuries, personally.

Or should i say, sooooooo many injuries AGAIN....

Lotus - You do have a point about our persistent injury problem.

However, I would say that your second major point goes a very long way to explaining the first major point you make. If we had the strength in depth a top team should have to make progress in the Premiership, AND if we had a manager who instilled confidence in his playing staff, then we'd surely be further up the Table than we are at the moment.

Roeder can't give us that rubbish about losing Given for a long period because Chelsea lost Cech AND Cudicini. The point being, that other "lesser" teams have also had injury problems, but they've been able to scramble their way through it, and come out ahead of us.

Roeder's failure in the transfer market is either purely down to incompetence, or possibly (since FFS has form on this matter, allegedly) because the Chairman was holding the purse strings and making buying/selling decisions according to his own personal whim. He lacks credibility in the transfer market, he hasn't got a proper scouting network (and openly admits this, which in my view only increases the shame) and he hasn't been very smart about using the resources he's had available to him.

I'm a bit fed up with this whole issue. A bad run of injuries CAN be a reasonable explanation for a lower than expected league position. It's only when a manager exaggerates how bad the situation is that we can get disgruntled. In fairness, Roeder has been a bit unlucky. There are other problems as well, but he's been unlucky.

I would say though that Roeder has made a bit of a rod for his own back. Because Souness talked a lot about injuries, Roeder started off with this policy of never mentioning them. That was a very unreal position to try and maintain, and of course it's unravelled.

Roeder clearly can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. We might have done better if most of them were fit for most of the season. He doesn't appear to have the ability to 'make do.'

FWIW, i hope we don't find out if he's up to it next season. Rather he was replaced.

Would have thought Billy Davies (Derby) would be worth an interview.

Roeder clearly can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. We might have done better if most of them were fit for most of the season. He doesn't appear to have the ability to 'make do.'

FWIW, i hope we don't find out if he's up to it next season. Rather he was replaced.

Doubt he would be interested, left Preston because he felt that tje expectations there did not reflect the realities he faced, he chose Derby as he felt the reverse was true and he would have a better chance of achieving success

Doubt he would be interested, left Preston because he felt that tje expectations there did not reflect the realities he faced, he chose Derby as he felt the reverse was true and he would have a better chance of achieving success

So few proven Championship mangers get a shot at the EPL these days unless they get a team promoted.

Do you really think he'd turn down the chance if Derby don't go up?

I can accept injuries as an excuse for a slightly lower league position.

However, I cannot accept such excuses when we are playing badly now that we have the majority of our players available to us.

We performed better when the injuries were worse. Ergo, Roeder is embarrassing himself by constantly referring to them.

Its true, remember the Man U game. Hardly had enough players to put a team together, great game and a decent result.

Guest Invicta_Toon

We performed better when the injuries were worse. Ergo, Roeder is embarrassing himself by constantly referring to them.

or perhap it is true that the first team are a bunch of lazy overated dicks

Cracker from Butt - "It was a hot day, but we aren't using that as an excuse."  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pompey must have been playing on a different day with different weather to us :buck2:

Jesus wept.

All we need now is for players to start bumping into one another and he's gone.

I am sure Oba will run into someone soon, well thats if they get close enough to him. Michael Owen maybe of use afterall. :)

I'm a bit fed up with this whole issue. A bad run of injuries CAN be a reasonable explanation for a lower than expected league position. It's only when a manager exaggerates how bad the situation is that we can get disgruntled. In fairness, Roeder has been a bit unlucky. There are other problems as well, but he's been unlucky.

I would say though that Roeder has made a bit of a rod for his own back. Because Souness talked a lot about injuries, Roeder started off with this policy of never mentioning them. That was a very unreal position to try and maintain, and of course it's unravelled.

Roeder didn't use injuries as an excuse because he didn't have to, he was in a no lose situation and under no pressure because Souness would have got the blame if things had gone pear shaped at the end of last season.

He's the manager now and under pressure, his arse has gone and he's trying to blame anybody or anything that he can think of.

Roeder didn't use injuries as an excuse because he didn't have to, he was in a no lose situation and under no pressure because Souness would have got the blame if things had gone pear shaped at the end of last season.

He's the manager now and under pressure, his arse has gone and he's trying to blame anybody or anything that he can think of.

I'd agree that things have changed over the last few weeks. I was only making the point that, in the season as a whole, we've not been lucky with injuries.

The Alkmaar result seems to have changed Roeder's mind set. He scapegoated Bramble, who he'd previously had a lot of praise for. Now the guy struggles to make the subs bench. That sort of reaction from a manager can easily alienate a lot of the squad.

All we need now is for players to start bumping into one another and he's gone.

lmao its hilarious when players do that then they start givin it the verbals on who's fault it was!

Btw, if 2 players started a fight in the next match, a la bowyer/dyer, who would they be?

I think Oba getting pissed off with Carr could be a good fight... :D

Roeder thinks that his injury crisis is worse than any one else has ever had.  But what about Man U.

They lost Rooney for some time, Smith for a year, Soljsar more out than in, Saha out for long periods, Scholes was out for months with his eye problem, Heinz for best part of a season and so on.  Do you hear Fergy moan? no lets get on with it and maybe win the league.

Roeder is crap, end of story, hopefully another couple of defeats will see him gone

No. Never.

Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester United face an "injury crisis of major proportions" after Rio Ferdinand went off injured against Middlesbrough.The defender will be out for two weeks after suffering a recurrence of a groin injury during United's 1-1 home draw.

Ferdinand will miss the Champions League semi-final against AC Milan on Tuesday but might return for the vital Premiership game with Chelsea on 9 May.

"I'm only playing with 12 players now, the rest are injured," said Ferguson.

"It's an injury crisis of major proportions. We've got to patch up a team for this massive game on Tuesday now."

Chairman and manager must have left the squad without the strength in depth a top team should have to make progress in the Premiership.