02/03 - Could we have won the league?

Karjala

In Bobby's book he says he asked Dyer to recommend him a signing and after Butt was suggested and signed you would have thought Dyer and Bob were best pals, but Dyer did his twat act at Boro and the rest is history. I blame the loss against Partizan for everything. Ever.

No offence, but that post just typifies someone who doesn't watch/go to the matches.

We were going through a bad patch. But nobody suitable was available to replace SBR. Sacking him was a decision that has sent this club backwards massively.

Guest smoggeordie

No offence, but that post just typifies someone who doesn't watch/go to the matches.

We were going through a bad patch. But nobody suitable was available to replace SBR. Sacking him was a decision that has sent this club backwards massively.

No, the TIMING of the sacking sent us back massively.

I don't think many will disagree that the timing of the sacking was wrong, I mean why give him money and then sack him. It was just pointless. It's fairly well documented that Bobby had lost the confidence of some players (Dyer/Boro incident springs to mind) and after the summer where Speed was sold behind Bobby's back the writing was on the wall. It was shambolic of FS to treat Bobby like that after what he'd done, all supposedly because of a poor performance in the UEFA semis. A victim of his own success?

They didn't give him real money though. Carr - 2m, Butt - virtually nowt Kluivert - virtually nowt. Milner - a few mill. A whole summers transfers for less than we paid for martins

Well it's not so much the money it's the fact that they let him build his squad and then replaced him with a man who then wanted his own squad and spent a season blaming the fact that it wasn't his squad and thus dismantled it which meant yet another transition season which led to his sacking and the appointment of Roeder. The cycle is currently on repeat

Guest smoggeordie

I don't think many will disagree that the timing of the sacking was wrong, I mean why give him money and then sack him. It was just pointless. It's fairly well documented that Bobby had lost the confidence of some players (Dyer/Boro incident springs to mind) and after the summer where Speed was sold behind Bobby's back the writing was on the wall. It was shambolic of FS to treat Bobby like that after what he'd done, all supposedly because of a poor performance in the UEFA semis. A victim of his own success?

They didn't give him real money though. Carr - 2m, Butt - virtually nowt Kluivert - virtually nowt. Milner - a few mill. A whole summers transfers for less than we paid for martins

Well it's not so much the money it's the fact that they let him build his squad and then replaced him with a man who then wanted his own squad and spent a season blaming the fact that it wasn't his squad and thus dismantled it which meant yet another transition season which led to his sacking and the appointment of Roeder. The cycle is currently on repeat

Aye.

Which is what makes the next manager's appointment THE most important and significant appointment the board will ever have to make. Roeder's time will come eventually and when it does if the board fuck it up again I see no way back for us.

:thup:

So do we sack Roeder and potentially start the cycle again or trust him to build his own squad? :undecided: Coor if we could get Houllier...

No difference to what I said. Nobody suitable was avaliable...therefore we sacked him at the wrong time.

If we sacked him in the summer I would have no problem, the new manager would have 2 months to mould it as he should wish and then January to tweak it. Maybe not ideal but better than waiting until the end of August and sacking someone as per usual.

Even if we had stuck with Sir Bobby for the rest of the season as opposed to getting rid 4 games into it, I'm sure we'd have finished higher than we have under Roeder and Souness (and yes I'm including that 7th last season in this).

The season prior to his sacking (when we came 5th) was a shadow of the previous 2, long ball football, looking for Shearer to flick it on, Bellamy was out injured for a lot of the season IIRC and we became quite efficient at beating poor sides at home but we kept throwing away late points away (Pompey, Blackburn, Birmingham spring to mind, probably others) and we had the occassional poor home result. Suppose you could blame our European run to the semis as it gave us a bit of a fixture pile up but the quality of football had generally decreased

That's the thing. We were so predictable but we got good results mostly. We'd see off most teams in the league bar a few miss-steps at home and draw alot of away games..we where all doom and  gloom when we missed out on 4th by something like 5 points whilst we blew many leads away from home. Bellamy was out for a long period of that and when he came back he was marvellous..the start of the best period of his career imo.

Didn't Robert get in double figures that season?

These days we are drawing at home and losing away.

*Reminisces about when 5th was a dissapointment**

Well, you've got to believe a certain Bellamy would have played the full season when fit instead of being farmed out on loan and who knows what would have happened, there's no way of telling unfortunately. I reckon we would have been top 6, we certainly wouldn't have dropped as many points as we did.

I agree bobby  was right to go, but not at that time.  The 5th season was poor in comparison and i think we'd have slipped further the next (though not 14th)

Do you know we got as many points last season as bobby's last year

But we where consistant throughout. We didn't go on a really hot 10 or so game run when most teams where winding down.

Well, you've got to believe a certain Bellamy would have played the full season when fit instead of being farmed out on loan and who knows what would have happened, there's no way of telling unfortunately. I reckon we would have been top 6, we certainly wouldn't have dropped as many points as we did.

We got him to full fitness after 2 years of constant injuries, then farmed him out and sold him for no profit for him to go on to play the best footie of his life. Pat yourself on the back Fat Fred.

What really fucked us, imo, was the announcement it was SBRs last season. Whether or not he should still have been there by that stage is beside the point; when that was said it was obvious to all that a bad run of games would leave his position untenable. And we wouldn't have anyone lined up. Still, at least there was a top manager we managed to prise from the North-West...

There was no stopping Keegan, tbh. He left because he couldn't face getting sacked, and he knew that he wasn't going to take Newcastle any further than he was.

But the Sir Bobby sacking, you're dead right. Absolute madness in my opinion, and i'll never have any other view but that. It was just sheer stupidity. We were so close to a trophy as far as i am concerned - he was building what was going to be a superb team.

No he didn't, he left due to the float.

We could've won it in 01/02 and 02/03.

I mind we beat the mackems in late February 1-0 with a Dabizas headerm and monkey come out and said "Everyones got to be Man Utd, but still they're a good side, and they have a great chance, a fucking great chance."  Then we played Arsenal in the crunch game, if we'd won they'd have dropped to second but we were 0-2 down after only about 20 minutes and that was that, and Arsenal went on to win every game till the end of the season.

02/03 our chance was even better.  I don't agree with whoever said we blew it against Arsenal.  I think Man Utd and Arsenal had 64 points and we had 61 with 7 games left after we beat Blackburn 5-1 and apart from Man Utd at home, we had the easiest run in of the three.  We fucked it up at Everton when Bernard got tackled knee high off Gravesen, but it still could've been done had we not got stuffed 6-2 of Man Utd.  Our last five games after that were piss easy on paper Fulham, Villa, SMB, Birmingham and WBA.  Had we beaten Man Utd and Everton I'm sure we'd have done it.

No offence, but that post just typifies someone who doesn't go into the dressing rooms.

;)

There was a spat with Dyer. Who was just a c*** anyway. How do you know he'd lost the dressing room?

Because they weren't playing for him on the pitch.

If you think that way about SBR then Roeder had lost the dressing room long time ago...

why couldn't we have won it?  Have we never beaten Everton away or Man Utd at home like?

We couldnt because we are Newcastle United and we always fail in the most important moments

Although i also think that we had really good chance back in the 02/03 season

We were playing some magnificent football.I remember the game against Blackburn where we won 5:1 and we were absolutely superb.Woodgate was playing really well.

The game against Man Utd though i think was the point where the players lost faith in themselves.

To lose 6:2 to your opponent for the tittle is hard to take as it proved to be...

They were glory days under SBR and i doubt we could see something similar happening to our club in the upcoming years  :(

Guest Bramble OG

Iam still undecided on if Robson should have been sacked, We finished 5th, A couple of points behind Liverpool and the Champions League place, Which had we not thrown away 89-90min wins at Brum,Blackburn,Pompy we would have been in that 4th place.

Yeah the Football wasnt so good as in the previous 2 seasons, but we had a ageing Shearer in the side, and had Robson had his way in in 04/05 IMO He would have played Bellamy/Kluivert which looked a decent partnership in the few games they played - Palace away, Everton Home?

Maybe there was problems in the dressing room, But had robson had the full support from Shepherd etc he could have turned this around, Players are never going to respect him if Shepherd is selling players(speed) etc behind his back.

Before Robsons sacking, the season before was pretty bad. We finished 5th, when the league is as it is now, 4 good teams at the top, then 10 mediocre teams. Somehow we won the mediocre league and came 5th. Robson should have gone in the summer, and i wonder if we would have installed a decent manager at that point, rather than the tragedy which would be Souness 3months later.

1  Manchester United                38  /  83

2  Arsenal                                38  /  78

3  Newcastle United                38  /  69

RUN-IN:

Sat 11 May West Brom 2-2 Newcastle

Sat 04 May Newcastle 1-0  Birmingham 

Sat 26 Apr Sunderland 0-1 Newcastle

Mon 21 Apr Newcastle 1-1 Aston Villa

Sat 19 Apr Fulham 2-1 Newcastle

Sat 12 Apr Newcastle 2-6 Man United

Sun 06 Apr Everton 2-1 Newcastle

Sat 22 Mar Newcastle 5-1 Blackburn 

Sat 15 Mar Charlton 0-2 Newcastle 

Wed 05 Mar Middlesbrough 1-0 Newcastle

Sat 01 Mar Newcastle 2-1 Chelsea

Sat 22 Feb Leeds 0-3 Newcastle

Sun 09 Feb Newcastle 1-1 Arsenal

Wed 29 Jan Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle

Yep, looking at that, it was the Everton away match, where Robert hit that screamer from the left wing, and Gravsen tried to disable Bernard that changed things.