02/03 - Could we have won the league?

Karjala

We were a far better team in 01/02 but we didn't add to our defence in the summer of 02 and that blew any chance we had of launching a title bid. Long time forum members might remember me moaning and complaining back in 2003 because all the potential we had wasn't being fulfilled.

Wasnt the Boro game quite significant that season, was it that season that Jeff Winter called the game off even though there was no snow about. Him being a Boro fan and them having an injury crisis at the time.

I don't agree at all that we were a far better team in 01/02.  Statistically there was only two points in it, and 02/03 we were COMFORTABLY better than Chelsea and Liverpool.  I think that season, the game when we won 0-3 at Leeds was the most we've ever dominated a game of top flight football away from home.  It could've been 15.

Wasnt the Boro game quite significant that season, was it that season that Jeff Winter called the game off even though there was no snow about. Him being a Boro fan and them having an injury crisis at the time.

Jeff Winter is a fat smoggie cunt.

http://www.givemefootball.com/images/jeff_winter_bi.jpg

Guest Alan Shearer 9

The only reason we ever got Sir Bobby was because he was a Geordie. Shepherd doesn't have the first clue about football or what makes a good manager so in that respect unless Wenger starts talking in a Geordie accent we're fucked.

Before Robsons sacking, the season before was pretty bad. We finished 5th, when the league is as it is now, 4 good teams at the top, then 10 mediocre teams. Somehow we won the mediocre league and came 5th. Robson should have gone in the summer

Wrong. There where only 3 Top clubs, Liverpool were not one. Liverpool, Newcastle and Villa all had a decent chance of finishing 4th. The performances where poor compared to the two seasons before but we where very efficient and very strong at home and we had a strong UEFA Cup run. But your right things where getting stale and we should of moved like Liverpool to ensure we got a man in soon after the season was over.

Guest Knightrider

In truth we were never title contenders in either of the seasons we finished 4th and then 3rd, yes we were in good (and close) positions at the very top of the table but we didn't play like would be champions or like we would/could be champions, we were an exciting team in the season we finished 4th but defensively we were brittle at times and we lacked the right mentality and maturity to win the league, where as the following year we were nowhere near as good in my opinion as we were the previous year.

In truth we were never title contenders in either of the seasons we finished 4th and then 3rd, yes we were in good (and close) positions at the very top of the table but we didn't play like would be champions or like we would/could be champions, we were an exciting team in the season we finished 4th but defensively we were brittle at times and we lacked the right mentality and maturity to win the league, where as the following year we were nowhere near as good in my opinion as we were the previous year.

Is the correct answer.

You have to remember also that Man Utd and Arsenal lost a lot of games early in the season, Man Utd were midtable until november, which actually made it a competitive league. Going into the new year 6 teams could have still won the title, which is just fantastic.

01/02 was the most competitive season in premiership history, far more so than anything we have these days.

I really am struggling to understand where people are getting this "we were better in 01/02 than 02/03".  We had some shocking performances at home in 01/02, Tottenham was as bad as it is now, with Bobby playing a pathetic 352 to combat Spurs style?!?!  The dippers at home was shite, there were loads of shite games. 

In 02/03 we were better beyond doubt (fair enough 2 points less than the previous season), and we had a magnificent Champions League run and we didn't have that distraction the season before.  Yes there were good games in 01/02.  Leeds at home was probably the best performance of the season, Leeds away was good, but that could've went either way.  Arsenal we were lucky as fuck, and we all know it, how we weren't 5-0 down at half time is any cunts guess.

02/03 we deservedly beat Juventus, played brilliant at Feyenoord and Inter, beat the European CL Runners Up 3-1 home and away, beat Leeds 3-0 away, absolutely murdered Blackburn, the last five minutes showed how good we could be on the break.  Given the fact we played 14 Champions League games, I think 02/03 was a better season, we had fuck all in 01/02 other than the league.

We were a far better team in 01/02 but we didn't add to our defence in the summer of 02 and that blew any chance we had of launching a title bid. Long time forum members might remember me moaning and complaining back in 2003 because all the potential we had wasn't being fulfilled.

I remember it well. You used to be a regular and quite cheery poster. That season broke you for some reason - I am guessing there was personal issues that contributed as well.

I really am struggling to understand where people are getting this "we were better in 01/02 than 02/03".  We had some shocking performances at home in 01/02, Tottenham was as bad as it is now, with Bobby playing a pathetic 352 to combat Spurs style?!?!  The dippers at home was s****, there were loads of s**** games. 

In 02/03 we were better beyond doubt (fair enough 2 points less than the previous season), and we had a magnificent Champions League run and we didn't have that distraction the season before.  Yes there were good games in 01/02.  Leeds at home was probably the best performance of the season, Leeds away was good, but that could've went either way.  Arsenal we were lucky as f***, and we all know it, how we weren't 5-0 down at half time is any c***s guess.

02/03 we deservedly beat Juventus, played brilliant at Feyenoord and Inter, beat the European CL Runners Up 3-1 home and away, beat Leeds 3-0 away, absolutely murdered Blackburn, the last five minutes showed how good we could be on the break.  Given the fact we played 14 Champions League games, I think 02/03 was a better season, we had f*** all in 01/02 other than the league.

We got more points, more goals, more away victories and more victories coming from behind. We had more spirit in 01-02 as well. The two Leeds games really encapsulated the team that year never giving up and clawing our way back.

Just as you could say we were lucky in the Arse away game in December 01 we were equally lucky to make it to the second group stages of the CL - we fluked that and Juve did not have their hearts in that game when we scraped the 1-0 win, Lippi wanted us to go through and even said so in interviews.

Is the correct answer.

I'd agree three. :nods:

I'm amazed anyone with a clear memory of both seasons could possibly think that league wise 01/02 wasn't the better season.

Agreed. Amazingly. ;)

We were better in 0102 when we finished 4th, it's why even though we finished 3rd the following season I thought Robson should have been moved "upstairs". We had a higher finish but we needed changes to make more progress and it didn't happen. We were a worse team when we finished 3rd than when we finished 4th. Not making that managerial change was a major mistake by the Board imo.

BTW We did make efforts to strengthen the defence during the time you were dripping on by signing Woodgate.

The 01/02 season was personally better for me as it really did bring back that feel good factor back to the place and everyone was buzzing again. Everything about that season I loved.

Shearer proving everyone wrong who were saying yet again he was finished. Bellamy's youthful exuberance bringing so much to the team, Robert's crossing, shooting, free-kicks and him really flying down the left. Even Dyer's return to the team added even more zest and especially his link up play with Nobby down the right.

The 01/02 season was personally better for me as it really did bring back that feel good factor back to the place and everyone was buzzing again. Everything about that season I loved.

Shearer proving everyone wrong who were saying yet again he was finished. Bellamy's youthful exuberance bringing so much to the team, Robert's crossing, shooting, free-kicks and him really flying down the left. Even Dyer's return to the team added even more zest and especially his link up play with Nobby down the right.

Aye. I fucking loved that season. The two games against Leeds and the game against Arsenal are some of my most fondly cherished footballing moments from the post-Keegan era. We were a real joy to watch at times, and I loved it.

I'm amazed anyone with a clear memory of both seasons could possibly think that league wise 01/02 wasn't the better season.

I have a clear memory of standing on the Putney Terrace watching a pathetic 3-1 defeat to Fulham, not to mention Don Hutchison running up 5 feet away from me after scoring the first of three West Ham goals in yet another feeble surrender.  The two defeats at home to Spurs and Liverpool wouldn't have looked out of place in 88/89.  I'm surprised anybody with a clear memory can so easily forget about these debacles, not to mention Southampton.

The worst result, other than Man Utd in 02/03 was losing 0-2 at home to Leeds, but we played absolutely brilliantly, one of the biggest injustice scorelines in football history.

As for Lippi wanting us to win, aye he sent his players out there "let them win", they hit the bar with five minutes to go, Zalayeta.  Besides we were just as good as them in Turin, and I think we could've won, if the linesman hadn't have ridiculously flagged Shearer's header in the top corner up for offside, when he was a good 6 yards on.

Besides we were just as good as them in Turin, and I think we could've won, if the linesman hadn't have ridiculously flagged Shearer's header in the top corner up for offside, when he was a good 6 yards on.

Agree with that... also unlucky as f*ck in Milan vs Inter.

If we had won the 5 games you've highlighted in bold, or alternatively, beaten Middlesborough and drawn at home with Manyoo, and won the other 4 matches in bold, we would have won the league.

Before Robsons sacking, the season before was pretty bad. We finished 5th, when the league is as it is now, 4 good teams at the top, then 10 mediocre teams. Somehow we won the mediocre league and came 5th. Robson should have gone in the summer, and i wonder if we would have installed a decent manager at that point, rather than the tragedy which would be Souness 3months later.

1  Manchester United                38  /  83

2  Arsenal                                38  /  78

3  Newcastle United                38  /  69

RUN-IN:

Sat 11 May West Brom 2-2 Newcastle

Sat 04 May Newcastle 1-0  Birmingham 

Sat 26 Apr Sunderland 0-1 Newcastle

Mon 21 Apr Newcastle 1-1 Aston Villa

Sat 19 Apr Fulham 2-1 Newcastle

Sat 12 Apr Newcastle 2-6 Man United

Sun 06 Apr Everton 2-1 Newcastle

Sat 22 Mar Newcastle 5-1 Blackburn 

Sat 15 Mar Charlton 0-2 Newcastle 

Wed 05 Mar Middlesbrough 1-0 Newcastle

Sat 01 Mar Newcastle 2-1 Chelsea

Sat 22 Feb Leeds 0-3 Newcastle

Sun 09 Feb Newcastle 1-1 Arsenal

Wed 29 Jan Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle

Yep, looking at that, it was the Everton away match, where Robert hit that screamer from the left wing, and Gravsen tried to disable Bernard that changed things.

I meant to quote this post btw

Guest Knightrider

I really am struggling to understand where people are getting this "we were better in 01/02 than 02/03".  We had some shocking performances at home in 01/02, Tottenham was as bad as it is now, with Bobby playing a pathetic 352 to combat Spurs style?!?!  The dippers at home was shite, there were loads of shite games. 

In 02/03 we were better beyond doubt (fair enough 2 points less than the previous season), and we had a magnificent Champions League run and we didn't have that distraction the season before.  Yes there were good games in 01/02.  Leeds at home was probably the best performance of the season, Leeds away was good, but that could've went either way.  Arsenal we were lucky as fuck, and we all know it, how we weren't 5-0 down at half time is any cunts guess.

02/03 we deservedly beat Juventus, played brilliant at Feyenoord and Inter, beat the European CL Runners Up 3-1 home and away, beat Leeds 3-0 away, absolutely murdered Blackburn, the last five minutes showed how good we could be on the break.  Given the fact we played 14 Champions League games, I think 02/03 was a better season, we had fuck all in 01/02 other than the league.

I think if you look at both seasons, you'll find an equal number of games where we were shocking/poor/shite in and a few where we were really good in, I don't think anyone will dispute that but we played better as a team and showed more qualities in the first season than we did in the second one.

Second season:

Man City (a) 1-0 - Was embarrassing, could have hammered us.

Chelsea (a) 3-0 - Ditto

2-5 away to SOUNESS' Blackburn

Man Utd - 3-5 defeat, could have been bigger, Fergie took off Van Nistelrooy etc as a gesture to his big mate Bobby, as a heavier defeat would have been embarrassing.

3-4 Bolton defeat away

6-2 defeat at home to Man Utd, they put 11 goals past us that year, jesus.

2-1 defeat to Fulham away

1-1 draw with Villa at home

We were poor in the main throughout that season, a lot of scrappy home performances and some heavy defeats. I fail to see how that was a better season than the one before.

Man City - Dyer missed an open goal

Chelsea - Awful, always is

Blackburn - Had Dabizas sent off in the first 5 minutes, 2-0 down, got back to 2-2, slighlty unlucky goals such as the OG

Man Utd - Yeah fair enough, Solskjaer forearm smash on Hughes still annoys me to do this day.

Bolton - 4-1, back to 4-3, Uriah Rennie.

Man Utd - They were amazing, we didn't help

Fulham - Griff sent off, low on confidence after 2 defeats.

Villa - Shearer nearly knocked out, poor performance but we limped towards the finishing line. Title had long gone and top 4 was pretty secured.

We put 5 past Blackburn shortly after that I seem to remember