A walk down memory lane - regretful sales

Raconteur

Guest johnson293
Ultimately another of the boards brilliant managerial decisions

Tino Asprilla was the other striker i think

Can you remember any reasons why we sold Ginola?

From memory, I think the Ginola sale was more down to Dalglish - probably saw him more as a 'luxury' player when he was trying to tighten us up with a 'defensive' style of play, and probably couldn't handle him, unlike Keegan.

For the same thing, basically think of how Laurent Robert was handled by Robson and Sounes respectively.

In my opinion, Ginola was great when he first arrived - noone knew how to deal with him. However, he got kicked up-a-heigth at Arsenal one night, got sent off for reacting, and never seemed the same player for us again. He was also linked with Barcelona which seemed to turn his head.

It wierd how the club never seems to handle 'Gallic' players very well - you wonder how long Cantona would have lasted, has he found his way up the A1??!!!!

From memory, I think the Ginola sale was more down to Dalglish - probably saw him more as a 'luxury' player when he was trying to tighten us up with a 'defensive' style of play, and probably couldn't handle him, unlike Keegan.

For the same thing, basically think of how Laurent Robert was handled by Robson and Sounes respectively.

In my opinion, Ginola was great when he first arrived - noone knew how to deal with him. However, he got kicked up-a-heigth at Arsenal one night, got sent off for reacting, and never seemed the same player for us again. He was also linked with Barcelona which seemed to turn his head.

It wierd how the club never seems to handle 'Gallic' players very well - you wonder how long Cantona would have lasted, has he found his way up the A1??!!!!

did alright for Leeds

Guest Billy Whitehurst

When we were a selling club, Beardsley, Waddle and Gazza. However, they had to go and they were playing alongside utter dross at the time.

Since the Keegan era, Ferdinand and Solano.

Guest Knightrider

There is no point in looking back at past sales like Cole and Sir Les because that would be going back too far so I shall look at more recent sales and the effects they've had on the current team.

1: Bernard - he was proving to be one of the better left-backs in the league and given his age and attributes, there was every chance he would have improved further and provided us with a top quality left-back for a good 6 years or so. Being a Frenchman he could have also forged an excellent partnership with N'Zogbia like he did with Robert where offensively we were excellent down the left in the main, with Zoggy's added work-rate and defensive skills, we would have been defensively sound too. Shame we failed to recognise his iomportance/he decided to walk away.

2: Gary Speed - we should never have gotten rid of him, his experience and presence, as well as his leadership skills would have been vital and would have helped the likes of Parker no end. Furthermore Gary Speed was a father figure to the likes of Viana, he looked after the youngsters and god knows they need some guidance right now. Potential coach and future manager too, always wise to keep such people in and around the club and despite his age, he'd be a good squad player to have even today.

The likes of Robert and Bellamy are obvious ones but Robert was heading towards 30 and becoming less and less productive and more troublesome off the pitch with his whinges to the media. BNellamy for me had to go for non footballing reasons, you can't do what he did and expect to stay at the club. It was just a shame it all come to a head, mind we all predicted it when Shepherd appointed Souness. Don't appoint Souness and Bellamy and Robert remain Toon players so its the Fat man's fault all of that, although to be fair I backed him and always will 100% when it comes to peddling those that wipe their arse with the shirt as Bellamy and to some extent Robert did.

robert, lualua, chopra, cole

Care to expand on that one?

he was class, and wouldve been a great back-up

That's a contradiction mate. If he's class then he aint back up. However, i agree the club made a mistake not convincing him to stay.

Perm any 3 from.................

Peter Withe to Villa, as he was my first hero.

Varadi to Sheff Weds as he still had loads of goals left in him.

Waddle to Spurs, and for such a pitiful amount.

Beardsely to Liverpool, for obvious reasons.

Gazza to Spurs, best footballer of his generation and he ended up there. What a waste.

'Spotty' McDonald to Everton, as he was very underrated.

Les Ferdinand, as it ruined the Premier League's best partnership.

Solano, an absolutely ridiculous decision by Robson and for a pittance.

Craig Bellamy, as he was the best player at the club at the time and was sold for the wrong reasons.

The mistake wasn't the selling, it was not making him ineligible while (whilst?) being on loan at Portsmouth. Cost us two points. Finished fifth on 56p, Liverpool came fourth on 60p (On the final day we played 1-1 against L'Pool at Anfield). Not that the two points would have mattered as it seems now, but just imagine if we would have won that February afternoon...

In recent days I'd say getting rid of Speed is the one I regret the most.

Who will be the first to mention Jenas?  :D

Perm any 3 from.................

Peter Withe to Villa, as he was my first hero.

Varadi to Sheff Weds as he still had loads of goals left in him.

Waddle to Spurs, and for such a pitiful amount.

Beardsely to Liverpool, for obvious reasons.

Gazza to Spurs, best footballer of his generation and he ended up there. What a waste.

'Spotty' McDonald to Everton, as he was very underrated.

Les Ferdinand, as it ruined the Premier League's best partnership.

Solano, an absolutely ridiculous decision by Robson and for a pittance.

Craig Bellamy, as he was the best player at the club at the time and was sold for the wrong reasons.

aye but in the reserves with beardsley in the first team.

anyway terry hibbitt,tommy craig and irving nattrass(they didnt go upwrads unlike alan kennedy)

Guest slimbob

The mistake wasn't the selling, it was not making him ineligible while (whilst?) being on loan at Portsmouth. Cost us two points. Finished fifth on 56p, Liverpool came fourth on 60p (On the final day we played 1-1 against L'Pool at Anfield). Not that the two points would have mattered as it seems now, but just imagine if we would have won that February afternoon...

In recent days I'd say getting rid of Speed is the one I regret the most.

Who will be the first to mention Jenas?  :D

:D I seriously doubbt anyone will

Sir Les

Gazza

Beardesly

Waddle

Alan Kennedy

Gary speed

The list goes on and on .

The only constant is the board.Ever since I started going (and well before that .They have ALWAYS been a bunch of useless tw*ts

PS

Anyone know the truth about Varadi being shuffled out-(Keegan???)

Guest HyDrO

JA Boumsong -  Quality defender allround; cheap and very effective at the back with Bramble.

Nar..

Cole - Goalscorer

Robert - Quality midfielder although he had many a'offday but if he was back he'd be picked ahead of Duff or Zoggy

Guest killers_perm

First and the one which will always pain me - Gary Speed - the guy was completely committed and all he wanted was an extra couple of years which the board refused to give him

David Batty - always need a tough guy in midfield, he would stand out a mile in todays team

Scott Sellars - sweetest left foot

Didi Hamman, if we could have kept him for another couple of seasons till he went crap

Papavasiliou - just so we had the longest name on a shirt

Sir Les

Gazza

Beardesly

Waddle

Alan Kennedy

Gary speed

The list goes on and on .

The only constant is the board.Ever since I started going (and well before that .They have ALWAYS been a bunch of useless tw*ts

PS

Anyone know the truth about Varadi being shuffled out-(Keegan???)

the "truth" was arty cox wanted beardsley instead of varadi.......any complaints.the problem is in a place like newcastle we prefer scandalous lies.

What was annoying was that Ginola went on to be the best player in the Premiership for Spurs in his first season for them. PFA and FW player of the year, some spectacular wonder goals, and all round top form throughout the season.

When we were a selling club, Beardsley, Waddle and Gazza. However, they had to go and they were playing alongside utter dross at the time.

I wouldn't argue with those three. Gazza in particular was heartbreaking. Our future went with him and we were relegated the following season.

What was annoying was that Ginola went on to be the best player in the Premiership for Spurs in his first season for them. PFA and FW player of the year, some spectacular wonder goals, and all round top form throughout the season.

and yet he wasn't as good as he was in his first season here