James Milner, and on the left wing

tmonkey

He reminds me of Beardsley for some reason, the posture i think when running and the amount of effort giving each game.

If he could sort out his shooting abilities, i'd have him through the centre creating, i know he's tried there before, and that before us it was his natural position, but i think he'll end up back there either Scholes type creating, or a bit further forward and become a proper link up and goalscorer in his own right.

Either which way, he's a mint player and i'm so glad he's ours and not Villa's.

Given,  Taylor, Zoggy, Milner & Martins are the only 1st team players i would be gutted to see leave this club, the rest are replaceable, crap or past it.

Owen?

What about him? Replaceable & very costly, in hindsight a big mistake, a one i hope is rectified this summer with either Manu or Liverpool taking him off our hands, nothing would please me more to see us get our money back, we might just if them two clubs go at it for him, if not near enough £12m+

Owen, replaceable? Care to name a finisher of his calibre (there are few on the planet) who would be willing to come to a mid-table club?

Owen is about as one dimensional as they come, very good at what he does, but not an all rounder by any means.

Finishing isn't the be all and end all of a footballer or even a striker, if so we should snap up Fowler at the end of the season on a free who is by far a more complete finisher than Owen, would that do you, and while were at it we'll buy a CB who can only tackle, but is shit at everything else, oh we've got one, Bramble.

He reminds me of Beardsley for some reason, the posture i think when running and the amount of effort giving each game.

If he could sort out his shooting abilities, i'd have him through the centre creating, i know he's tried there before, and that before us it was his natural position, but i think he'll end up back there either Scholes type creating, or a bit further forward and become a proper link up and goalscorer in his own right.

Given,  Taylor, Zoggy, Milner & Martins are the only 1st team players i would be gutted to see leave this club, the rest are replaceable, crap or past it.

Owen?

What about him? Replaceable & very costly, in hindsight a big mistake, a one i hope is rectified this summer with either Manu or Liverpool taking him off our hands, nothing would please me more to see us get our money back, we might just if them two clubs go at it for him, if not near enough £12m+

All I was asking.  ^

Personally, I'd like to see him give us at least one season, but I wouldn't be terribly gutted if he left.  Bit pissed, but I'd get over it. 

no matter who leaves you get over it.

i wonder if toons taylor was saying buying shearer was a mistake when he got injured in that friendly at everton,after all he produced little that season and for £15mill then.

as for milner whern he was on the verge of leaving last year,i'd rather have kept him but if he leaves for the benefit of the club,so be it....now that benefit would have to be substantial.

Shearer had already scored 25 goals the season before, the injury was unlike him, these injuries are very like Owen, can't see how anyone cannot see this by looking back on both careers up till those two points.

Owen is a crock, and crocks tend to get more fuked while at the toon, why, who knows it just happens. I'd rather have a player 60% of Owen's ability available 90% of the season.

Owen?

All I was asking.  ^

Personally, I'd like to see him give us at least one season, but I wouldn't be terribly gutted if he left.  Bit pissed, but I'd get over it. 

i wonder if toons taylor was saying buying shearer was a mistake when he got injured in that friendly at everton,after all he produced little that season and for £15mill then.

as for milner whern he was on the verge of leaving last year,i'd rather have kept him but if he leaves for the benefit of the club,so be it....now that benefit would have to be substantial.

Shearer had already scored 25 goals the season before, the injury was unlike him, these injuries are very like Owen, can't see how anyone cannot see this by looking back on both careers up till those two points.

Owen is a crock, and crocks tend to get more fuked while at the toon, why, who knows it just happens. I'd rather have a player 60% of Owen's ability available 90% of the season.

broken bone in his foot and cruciate ligament are "like him"...hamstrings,groins fair enough but not whats kept him out the last year or so

Owen?

Owen, replaceable? Care to name a finisher of his calibre (there are few on the planet) who would be willing to come to a mid-table club?

Owen is about as one dimensional as they come, very good at what he does, but not an all rounder by any means.

Finishing isn't the be all and end all of a footballer or even a striker, if so we should snap up Fowler at the end of the season on a free who is by far a more complete finisher than Owen, would that do you, and while were at it we'll buy a CB who can only tackle, but is shit at everything else, oh we've got one, Bramble.

That's such a ridiculous analogy i can't be bothered to write a sensible reply.

Owen?

All I was asking.  ^

broken bone in his foot and cruciate ligament are "like him"...hamstrings,groins fair enough but not whats kept him out the last year or so

But very injury prone nevertheless, not a player to rely on, not a player to build your team around, and for the amount we've spent on him, its what we needed for a club this size, just like we did with Shearer.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2063385,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

/\ The adverts under the article say it all really, one for BUPA, and the other for Anthony Hopkins new film: Fracture.

:lol:

Owen?

That's such a ridiculous analogy i can't be bothered to write a sensible reply.

Canny cop out

Owen?

All I was asking.  ^

But very injury prone nevertheless, not a player to rely on, not a player to build your team around, and for the amount we've spent on him, its what we needed for a club this size, just like we did with Shearer.

Club Season League FA Cup League Cup Europe Others Total

App Goals App Goals App Goals App Goals App Goals App Goals

Newcastle United 2006–07 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2005–06 11 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 11 7

Real Madrid 2004–05 36 13 4 2 - - 5 1 0 0 45 16

Liverpool 2003–04 29 16 3 1 0 0 6 2 0 0 38 19

2002–03 35 19 2 0 4 2 12 7 1 0 54 28

2001–02 29 19 2 2 0 0 11 6 1 1 43 28

2000–01 28 16 5 3 2 1 11 4 0 0 46 24

1999–00 27 11 1 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 30 12

1998–99 30 18 2 2 2 1 6 2 0 0 40 23

1997–98 36 18 0 0 4 4 4 1 0 0 44 23

1996–97 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1

Total 263 138 19 10 14 9 55 23 2 1 353 181

i'd say he wasn't really that injury prone

Owen?

All I was asking.  ^

Really horrid to look at mate!

But it doesn't show you how many sub appearances, and from having a Liverpool fan as a best mate my memories of Owen were him getting injured, missing x amount of games, coming back, taking 3 games to get going, go on a scoring run, scoring double and sometimes hattricks, then boom, injured again, repeat for several seasons until his move to Madrid.

I don't know how well my memory matches up statically, but it was something that really pissed him off, and something we'd rip him about along with never scoring 20 league goals in a season, and the main reason, he was alway injured or coming back from injury, and that's why he's never hit that mark.

I'm glad Milner is coming good. I always thought his technique was good. But pace and final product wasn't impressive early on in his Newcastle career. I also think he'd do a good job in the middle.

Ljungberg didn't have pace?

Not on the ball, in terms of being a dribbler.

When Arsenal signed Ljungberg I remember Wenger saying that he was one of the fastest players he's ever seen running with the ball. The first time I watched Ljungberg was when Sweden beat England 2-1. And what struck me about him was exactly what Wenger said.

He's lost it now, though.

Owen?

All I was asking.   ^

But it doesn't show you how many sub appearances, and from having a Liverpool fan as a best mate my memories of Owen were him getting injured, missing x amount of games, coming back, taking 3 games to get going, go on a scoring run, scoring double and sometimes hattricks, then boom, injured again, repeat for several seasons until his move to Madrid.

I don't know how well my memory matches up statically, but it was something that really pissed him off, and something we'd rip him about along with never scoring 20 league goals in a season, and the main reason, he was alway injured or coming back from injury, and that's why he's never hit that mark.

If he didnt get injured in the 05/06 season he would have scored more then 20 goals imo

In 11 games he scored 7 goals that season before he got injured against Tottenham

Reminds me more of Waddle than Beardsley, tbh. Through his youth days he apparently played as a second striker rather than right or left wide.

Guest Ridzuan

Since the first day he join us,Ive always thought that he will be a great player for us and I think he is starting to show what he is capable of doing in each match.He is getting better and better.He just needs to be more consistent and he will do fine.I dont mind him playing on the right or left wing,but I prefer on the right because that is wear he is more comfortable with.

Owen?

All I was asking.  ^

If he didnt get injured in the 05/06 season he would have scored more then 20 goals imo

In 11 games he scored 7 goals that season before he got injured against Tottenham

Which is really the point i'm making is it not?  O0

Reminds me more of Waddle than Beardsley, tbh. Through his youth days he apparently played as a second striker rather than right or left wide.

He's starting to influence games a lot more, i think if he keeps progressing at this rate he'll have all the right abilities to play through the centre, and whoever is his manager will have faith in playing him in that role, which is really why he's become a winger, lack of faith for him in that position, which is fair enough, he was like a headless chicken when he arrived.

Comaprison between Shearer and Owen is a bit silly, Shearer chose us other a top club, Owen actually came out before he signed and said he would consider a loan move but thats about it. Yes it would be nice to get one year out of Owen but he has suffered injuries throughout his career and in a years time he be just 12 months away from leaving for free so we would be buggered trying to get anything near what we could get for him this summer.

Owen seems to be a weak athlete. Might be a deadly finisher, but that doesnt necesarily mean he has the body strength required for professional football at the highest levels in terms of staying fit over a long period of time. With Owen, you always get the impression that hes one collission away from another injury.

In his first season here, he hardly played at all, and iirc it was in the second half of the season that he picked up the broken metatarsal when clashing with Robinson. He seemed to be injured every few weeks, only coming back for us when an England game was looming over the horizon - obviously a coincidence, but thats what it felt like for many of us, because on top of that it was well known that Owen initially wanted nothing to do with us. But essentially, he was frequently injured for us long before he broke any bones, something that was forseeable and fit in with the pattern of his Liverpool career.

Milner is easily our player of the season imo. He's been consistantly good and occaisionally excellent. Very inventive not just hoof and run around like a headless chicken. When we don't have the ball he gets back well to help Nobby and when we have the ball he's always wanting it trying to get into space to make himself a good option, he's very hardworking, is only 21 and has an excellent excellent hard working positive attitude that others could definately learn from.

He gets better with every game, as others have said, and there isn't a better sight in football than a winger attacking the life out of his opposing fullback. Luckily Milner does it constantly during games and so constantly gets the crowd behind him, much like N'Zogbia did for us last season. I do wish he had a little bit more pace about him as it would seriously push him to the next level and I feel he really needs to start attacking passes he receives (both short and long), instead of waiting for them to arrive and losing seconds for the opposing defenders to regain their position. It's something he'll learn in time, though, and he'll improve further because of it - I just wish we had someone useful in the area for him to hit with his crosses, although having Owen in there will no doubt help him out a great deal.

If we keep a hold on the lad I cannot wait to see how he does next season. Surely Glenn must realise he's a first-choice player now? I'm still not convinced he'd get a game if the likes of Duff, Parker and Owen were fit along with all the rest of them. It will be interesting to see how much he gets used next season as we really cannot allow another N'Zogbia situation to occur. As much as people will say Charlie's been shite this term, he was almost as important to us last season as Milner has been this time around.

Certainly would prefer both of them to stay and see the likes of Dyer/Duff shifted on, would save us a fucking fortune as well.

Guest Jonny4Toon

Milner has been the Toon's best player this season and is 1 of the most talented youngsters around at only 21. 7 assists and 3 stunning goals in the Premiership, 1 goal in the FA cup and a couple of magical crosses in Europe has been a great return for someone who we were supposed to be getting rid of at the start of the season. He has shown great in proffessionalism and great attitude. He's never in the papers for the wrong reasons. You never hear about him doing anything daft and he just gets on with the job he is supposed to be doing. He has negotiated his contract over a short period of time without an agent and has a been an overall class act for us this season. How Roeder can switch Milner to the left to accomadate a lazy, £80,000 a week, overpaid, idiotic glass man like Dyer is a mystery to me. This is my first response to a thread on this site. I hope I have influenced some of you.

There's Only 1 James Milner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Jonny4Toon

Also he's never injured and has not complainded about the way he was treated at the start of the season. Frankly, we treat him like shit!!!

O0 O0 O0

He gets better with every game, as others have said, and there isn't a better sight in football than a winger attacking the life out of his opposing fullback. Luckily Milner does it constantly during games and so constantly gets the crowd behind him, much like N'Zogbia did for us last season. I do wish he had a little bit more pace about him as it would seriously push him to the next level and I feel he really needs to start attacking passes he receives (both short and long), instead of waiting for them to arrive and losing seconds for the opposing defenders to regain their position. It's something he'll learn in time, though, and he'll improve further because of it - I just wish we had someone useful in the area for him to hit with his crosses, although having Owen in there will no doubt help him out a great deal.

If we keep a hold on the lad I cannot wait to see how he does next season. Surely Glenn must realise he's a first-choice player now? I'm still not convinced he'd get a game if the likes of Duff, Parker and Owen were fit along with all the rest of them. It will be interesting to see how much he gets used next season as we really cannot allow another N'Zogbia situation to occur. As much as people will say Charlie's been shite this term, he was almost as important to us last season as Milner has been this time around.

Certainly would prefer both of them to stay and see the likes of Dyer/Duff shifted on, would save us a fucking fortune as well.

:clap:

Spot on.