.com on Allardyce

Dave

They're judged over 38 games, not 16. Surely we should have learned that by appointing Roeder in the first place.

Fair point. I'm more worried by the fact they've conceded more goals this season than we have, and we're the ones with the supposedly shit defence.

I also think he's a bit of a bluffer.  He hasn't really done that much and as I've said in another thread, he's at a club with low expectations. It will be different at a club like Newcastle.

Worrying, also worrying is his recent form since the turn of the year, maybe he felt he was going to leave for a while, maybe there is more to come from the Panorama docu, but it looks nailed on now, and there really isn't any other option.

I'd like to see Houllier here, a continental version of SA and with success under his belt, but will old bug eyes leave cushy number like Lyon and would FS really see him as a potential target?

I think if we pushed the boat out we could get him as a lot of reports suggest he'd like a return to England however FS has a nice cheap target in view and i don't think it will change unless SA rejects.

God forbid

Really really stupid thing for you to say tbh.  :rolleyes:

They're judged over 38 games, not 16. Surely we should have learned that by appointing Roeder in the first place.

Fair point. I'm more worried by the fact they've conceded more goals this season than we have, and we're the ones with the supposedly shit defence.

I also think he's a bit of a bluffer.  He hasn't really done that much and as I've said in another thread, he's at a club with low expectations. It will be different at a club like Newcastle.

Worrying, also worrying is his recent form since the turn of the year, maybe he felt he was going to leave for a while, maybe there is more to come from the Panorama docu, but it looks nailed on now, and there really isn't any other option.

I'd like to see Houllier here, a continental version of SA and with success under his belt, but will old bug eyes leave cushy number like Lyon and would FS really see him as a potential target?

I think if we pushed the boat out we could get him as a lot of reports suggest he'd like a return to England however FS has a nice cheap target in view and i don't think it will change unless SA rejects.

God forbid

Dont rate him at all tbh.Maybe as DoF he will do a good job considering his experience and connections in France but as manager i dont he will do a good job.

After his heart attack he is not the same person.Liveprool fans were really relieved that they replaced him.

At the start of the season Lyon was one of the clubs who were considered as one of the favourites to win the Champions league but under Houllier they were eliminated rather early.

They lost the League cup to Bordo last month and i think next season they will be even worse under him.

Thats just my opinion though

Lets be honest, Fat Heed isn't the best man for the job. He's just the best manager who is currently out of work, with Premiership experience.

And Fat Man has heard of him.

Agree

Doubt that Shepherd will ever try to bring someone like Lippi or Capelo here

He is looking for the more easy solution and someone who is British.

If i was Charmain i will try everything to bring someone like Lippi,Capelo,Hitzfeld,Hiidink although i'll know it will be extremely difficult but it will worth it.

I doubt it will ever crossed Shepherd's mind to bring someone from the mentioned above at newcastle

NM, you may be correct but does that make him the wrong appointment?

Yes and no.

Its all comparative for me.

In comparison to the last two managers, and our current (justified) league position, he's a good choice.

In comparison to where we WANT to be in the league, who we could maybe get if we took the effort to go and seek a good manager from across europe, and delivered to him a plan of the future (non playing aspecvts) of the club, and the resources and support he would get over the next 3-5 years, then he is a bad choice.

Bearing in mind the fact that our chairman is short-sighted and ineffective when it comes to the football side of running the club, he's the easy, safe choice. My fear in that is that the safe choice is not always the best one*.

* I am also scared of the size of his head.

Yes and no.

In comparison to the last two managers, and our current (justified) league position, he's a good choice.

In comparison to where we WANT to be in the league, who we could maybe get if we took the effort to go and seek a good manager from across europe, and delivered to him a plan of the future (non playing aspecvts) of the club, and the resources and support he would get over the next 3-5 years, then he is a bad choice.

Bearing in mind the fact that our chairman is short-sighted and ineffective when it comes to the football side of running the club, he's the easy, safe choice. My fear in that is that the safe choice is not always the best one*.

* I am also scared of the soze of his head.

Again i agree with you and you are completely right

Shepherd will never move for someone like Lippi or Capelo.He will chooce the easy solution to the problem

God forbid

Dont rate him at all tbh.Maybe as DoF he will do a good job considering his experience and connections in France but as manager i dont he will do a good job.

After his heart attack he is not the same person.Liveprool fans were really relieved that they replaced him.

At the start of the season Lyon was one of the clubs who were considered as one of the favourites to win the Champions league but under Houllier they were eliminated rather early.

They lost the League cup to Bordo last month and i think next season they will be even worse under him.

Thats just my opinion though

Form dipped under Thompson at Liverpool, they went mega defensive as it was the safe option, they needed to guard their good start to the season. It worked at first then fell apart, GH then came back at probably the wrong time (pressure from fans, media, board and probably his own pride) and tried to bring out the attacking side of his team (notably in a game in the CL against Leverkusen where he subbed Hamann and it fell apart IRRC) , which failed because of the way the club was run for the past 6 months plus, ultra defensive, 'doing it for Gerard' was uttered every single day from Liverpool mouth pieces, only his organised defensive side had been turned into a brickwall because Thompson couldn't bring out the attack force as well as keep it clean at the back.

He then found it difficult to change the team as everytime he went to attack they lost, a lot of the time undeservedly but results stand, and negative and defensive football was winning them games, so he had to do what was best at the time, the fans thought they'd get that attacking ability back when he returned, they didn't and they turned.

Chelsea got knocked out of the CL yet again by Liverpool a vastly inferior team but that doesn't make Jose a bad manager. Lyon being Fav's in the CL was an over estimation of a team ripping its league apart, it was daft to think they could win it, there were several clubs bigger and better. Another factor in this can again be highlighted by Chelsea, last season when the title was wrapped up and Jose focused only on the CL, making comments about Barca months in advance, talking it up and putting immense pressure on the team, he failed because of that, and like Lyon walking away with the league their focus turns to a bigger competition especially since they've been dramatically bigged up by the media and bookies and failure is inevitable.

His record speaks for itself, more importantly he cut it here and we'd all be happy if he cup get us a league up in the next 5 years nevermind 2 league cups, FA cup, UEFA cup, Charity shield & a European Super cup in that time.

That's why i think its daft, very daft to dismiss someone with such quality. I actually think he's improved as a manager since leaving Liverpool, he's taking himself a lot less seriously and is enjoying football, and he maybe ready for an FA cup final 38 games of the year instead of sleeping through a league and waking up for one competition when its on.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Liverpool are a proven club, who win tropheys on a regular basis. His job there was ok, but put the club into missions of debt, buying absolute rubbish players. 

And as for Lyon,  he took over a side that had won the title 4 years on the trot, not done much to improve them,  and the manager he replaced, Paul le Guen,  how did  he get on when he left the comfort zone of Lyon ???

Houllier  ????  no fcking chance

Guest Gomez

I'm a Liverpool fan, it has to be said, Houllier is a very very good manager. I really don't understand where he gets such bad reputation from when much lesser managers who won jack are lauded.

Yes, He had his problems at Liverpool, which it why he left, mainly through a number of misjudgments in the seasons following his heart problems, the summer of Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou etc, which he never recovered from. But he did do a hell of a lot of good for us, and he is not only manager ever to have made mistakes. He brought some fantastic players to the club, I think only two of the CL winning team in 2005 where bought by Rafa.

I cannot understand why Newcastle fans would not jump at the chance to get Houllier in? OK, he might not win you the league or the champions league, but neither is Alladyce. I do not think realistically you are likely to attract a manager that can in the current situation you are in, unless you get very lucky with an unknown. Houllier will get you in the CL places and maybe win a few cups along the way, Don't tell me that wouldn't be a vast improvement on recent performance? If Houllier hadn't taken us forward from the mess Roy Evans left us in, we would never have attracted Rafa. You can't expect to jump from 13th place to champions in a few years anymore, it needs to be done in stages.

Houllier has a long list of trophies, he's won 2 consecutive french league titles and though people disparage those as the work of Le Guen, it's been two seasons now and he has to be given credit. This is the earliest the french league has ever been won. Yes Liverpool have a long history of success, but GH won more in one season at Liverpool than we had won in over a decade, credit where it is due.

I hope he doesn't go to Newcastle, a) because we'd have another strong team to compete with and b) I don't want to see him manage against us.

I'm a Liverpool fan, it has to be said, Houllier is a very very good manager. I really don't understand where he gets such bad reputation from when much lesser managers who won jack are lauded.

Yes, He had his problems at Liverpool, which it why he left, mainly through a number of misjudgments in the seasons following his heart problems, the summer of Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou etc, which he never recovered from. But he did do a hell of a lot of good for us, and he is not only manager ever to have made mistakes. He brought some fantastic players to the club, I think only two of the CL winning team in 2005 where bought by Rafa.

I cannot understand why Newcastle fans would not jump at the chance to get Houllier in? OK, he might not win you the league or the champions league, but neither is Alladyce. I do not think realistically you are likely to attract a manager that can in the current situation you are in, unless you get very lucky with an unknown. Houllier will get you in the CL places and maybe win a few cups along the way, Don't tell me that wouldn't be a vast improvement on recent performance? If Houllier hadn't taken us forward from the mess Roy Evans left us in, we would never have attracted Rafa. You can't expect to jump from 13th place to champions in a few years anymore, it needs to be done in stages.

Houllier has a long list of trophies, he's won 2 consecutive french league titles and though people disparage those as the work of Le Guen, it's been two seasons now and he has to be given credit. This is the earliest the french league has ever been won. Yes Liverpool have a long history of success, but GH won more in one season at Liverpool than we had won in over a decade, credit where it is due.

I hope he doesn't go to Newcastle, a) because we'd have another strong team to compete with and b) I don't want to see him manage against us.

Agree with all of that. O0

I've been saying we should go for Houllier for a while now, he was making all the right noises about leaving Lyon to come back to England when Souness was sacked, we may have missed the boat now though.

Yes and no.

* I am also scared of the size of his head.

Who would you be happy with as manager then, out of those we could realistically hope to get?

Not that I can picture you being happy, don't think I've ever seen it on here.  :lol:

Who would you prefer us to approach HTL?

Not looking for an argument btw, genuine question.

:coolsmiley: :rolleyes:

:dontknow:

Just interested in your opinion.

Obviously easier to slag anyone elses suggestions than actually give your own.

More negative b*llocks on Allardyce from .con.

Form guide

Glenn Roeder's dreadful run of results ultimately proved his undoing and few would argue that he deserved to keep his job based on what was certainly relegation form over his final 16 games:

P16  W4  D5  L7  Pts 17

So why on earth would anyone even contemplate employing a manager whose form over the same 16 games reads:

P16  W4  D4  L8  Pts 16

So who is that manager? Could it be one of the relegated duo Aidy Boothroyd or Alan Pardew? No, it's Sam Allardyce - seemingly our next manager....

NUFC.com sticking by their neutral stance, I see.