Allardyce supposedly as good as appointed - Happy or Disappointed?

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

We go on about the need for change at Newcastle, how this and that needs to change, well WE DO TOO, just as much. If not one half of the club is always gonna be at odds with the other and NUFC can only be successful in any form that comes when we are all UNITED. Like we were under KK and Sir Bobby.

As someone fantastically put it a few days ago, he's the point on the graph where "Managerial Ability" and "Likely to want to manage the club" cross.

That was one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum.

Whose was it?

Guest andynufc84

I'm  happy with the appointment IF true

As in HTT's post, Allardyce ticks all the boxes.

Man management is his biggest asset imo

will fat sam see us as a stepping stone to the England job?

Good - if he has to win us a trophy first (but then again he won nowt at Bolton and is seemingly next in line)

Bad - if it means he's not here than long

Guest Knightrider

HTT, has ANYONE ever mentioned anything about Allardyce being a ex-mackem? You seem to be mentioning it a lot, but I've yet to see anyone mention it, other than a brief mention by .com, and they said "who cares?".

Not specifically no, but I've read one or two comments and whenever we were linked in the past it often got mentioned, on here, other forums, Thompson House and the fanzines. Small minority maybe but meh, let me rant ;)

Guest Knightrider

As someone fantastically put it a few days ago, he's the point on the graph where "Managerial Ability" and "Likely to want to manage the club" cross.

That was one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum.

Whose was it?

Mick's I think?

will fat sam see us as a stepping stone to the England job?

Good - if he has to win us a trophy first (but then again he won nowt at Bolton and is seemingly next in line)

Bad - if it means he's not here than long

i think the FA will go for Scolari if SM fucks up

Oliver mentioned it today.

I don't even count that dickhead. Representative of absolutely no-one.

Indeed but he is the most powerful and sadly influencial person in the local media.

Why this thread? Is the appointment as good as done? Don't understand why people seem to be so sure about it just because of ...bookmakers? Or is it anything else that indicates on the deal being as good as done?

Aye i still don't understand this sudden change....

Why this thread? Is the appointment as good as done? Don't understand why people seem to be so sure about it just because of ...bookmakers? Or is it anything else that indicates on the deal being as good as done?

read the other threads...

Every news source?

Pre Bolton, from Wiki:

After retiring as a player, Allardyce was named as assistant manager to Brian Talbot at West Bromwich Albion in February 1989 - ironic as he was a supporter of Wolverhampton Wanderers, one of Albion's deadliest rivals. His spell at the Hawthorns lasted two years before he and Talbot were sacked as the club slid towards the Second Division trap door for the first time.

He then took up the role of player/manager of Limerick and guided the League of Ireland team to promotion by topping the first division with a number of points to spare in 1991-92 in his only season at the club.

After his one successful season in Ireland Allardyce returned to England and to Preston North End for the start of the 1992-93 season to take up the role of coach/assistant manager under Les Chapman. Ten games into the season however Chapman was sacked and Allardyce given the role of caretaker manager. His short spell in charge was an impressive one with Preston putting in some fine performances, picking some much needed league points along the way. The clubs board though felt that Allardyce's managerial inexperience at league level worked against him and opted in December 1992 to appoint the more experienced and charismatic John Beck who in turn appointed Gary Peters as his assistant. Allardyce carried on with the club in his original coaching capacity for another 18 months but the disappointment of missing out on the Preston job spoke volumes and when in July 1994 arch rivals Blackpool offered him the managers job Allardyce jumped at the chance.

Allardyce's spell at Bloomfield Road, however, was a strange one. Despite leading the club to their most successful season in years he was sacked at the end of the campaign after failing to guide them to Division One. Blackpool finished third, missing out on automatic promotion on the last day of the season, and were then beaten in the play-off semi-finals by Bradford City after winning 2-0 away at Valley Parade, only to lose 3-0 in the reverse leg on home soil.

In January 1997, Sam Allardyce made his return to football as manager of Division Two basement club Notts County. He arrived too late to save them from relegation, but they won promotion at the first attempt by finishing top of Division Three at the end of the 1997-98 season. Notts County broke several club and national records, winning the title by 19 points and becoming the first post-war side to win promotion in mid-March.

Lots I didn't know there.

I know it is being reported in more strong terms on BBC television and radio, but the only two internet sources describing it as definite are www.bbc.co.uk and www.newcastle-online.com  :o

Hope I haven't just caused a massive cock-up.

Every news source?

Didn't know about the BBC-story and so on.

When can it be officially announced?

I know it is being reported in more strong terms on BBC television and radio, but the only two internet sources describing it as definite are www.bbc.co.uk and www.newcastle-online.com  :o

Hope I haven't just caused a massive cock-up.

SHIT! The BBC have downgraded it from "Sam Allardyce to be appointed the BBC understands" to "Sam Allardyce tipped to be appointed" with quotes from Ladbrokes.

If true:

I'm fairly happy. I'm looking forward to being organised and efficient and having good backroom staff. Also all the other "pro's" HTT raised.

Worried about a 4-3-3 long ball system which I can't be doing with. But as I raised elsewhere, Allardyce was a cat's pube away from the England job and I doubt Allardyce would:

a) Have used the "Bolton system" with England

b) Omitted Michael Owen like many are suspecting/worried about.

I also worry about random squad players from all corners of the globe being brought in, altough I suppose if they're better than the home grown boys then we shouldn't complain. I just think it'll rob the club of some identity.

So to sum up: Pleased as long as the likes of Martins, Owen, Taylor and Milner are still part of the plan, and the shit is shipped out. And we don't play long bastard ball!