Time to get rid of Harper?

Dokko

There was talk when England were on the ropes for keepers that Harper could of been the man if he could get regular football, well its just not the case really, and was blind favoritism from anyone (including me) who said so.

He's done his job as back-up very well, he's sat on the bench and kept quiet and without costing too much. Called into action when needed for the 1st time in several years this season and for me was average, sometimes very poor, but sometimes he pulled off one two solid saves.

But for me he brings nothing to the goalkeeping situation anymore. I'd rather have Tim Krul as no2, but if would be unfair on the young lad who desperately needs games to bring on his ability.

Its been well known for some time now poor Harper is a Given clone, only not as good in every department, and that for me lies the biggest problem. He doesn't push Given at all, he doesn't make Given want to sort out his organistation of the defense, his kicking or any other area he is weak in, and certainly cannot teach him anything either.

To top all that i would like to see Harper have a career of his own, and show us the ability we all thought he once had, but it wont happen here. For me its time to sell and to replace him with an aging giant of the game, or a keeper who is so vastly different it will make Given stand up and improve and finally have some competition as Harper offers none & Krul is about 5 years away for being a realistic option.

He's so over-rated by Newcastle fans. He's crap. Strolls about when it comes to kicking, and when he finally does put a boot through it, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't go far, goes out of play, finds an opposition player. Get rid, promote Krul to reserve keeper, sign some lower league keeper as 3rd choice.

If he wants to go then we should let him go. If he's happy enough then keep him. He's a solid keeper imo. Nothing special though. Krul needs to go out on loan. It will not do him much good sitting on our bench when he could be away playing every week. This season has been a freak season in regards to injuries to keepers. The chances are Given will play in 99% of our matches next season.

I think you're right - Krul is definitely the future, while Harper's future seems to be quite dim...

... but the thing is, what is better for Krul's development? Sitting on our bench next season, or out at loan playing week-in and week-out while Harper sits on our bench until his contract expires?

I say loan Krul out next season - surely Lazarus can't have another injury-jinxed season like this one?

I would not standi n his way if he wanted to go, but sending Krul out on  loan would be great for him and there is no harm in keepiing harper..

Will be hard to find another keeper that would be willing to play second fiddle to Given.

I think you're right - Krul is definitely the future, while Harper's future seems to be quite dim...

... but the thing is, what is better for Krul's development? Sitting on our bench next season, or out at loan playing week-in and week-out while Harper sits on our bench until his contract expires?

I say loan Krul out next season - surely Lazarus can't have another injury-jinxed season like this one?

Like i said, its unfair to promote Krul to no2 as he needs games (loan move) but as for Harper, well i think we'd be better off with someone else as no2 as he doesn't bring anything to the table that Given cannot do.

Nobody think Given needs a challenge though?

Do you not think the threat of one of the most highly-rated young keepers in Europe is enough to keep him on his toes?

Obviously not.

Which keeper would come to Newcastle knowing they are gonna be 2nd choice to Given, taking into account Given's brilliant fitness record over the years he's been here? If we are after a keeper who would challenge Given then it is gonna have to be an excellent keeper and i can't see us getting one of them as 2nd choice.

Fair enough.

:lol:

Which area has Given improved in since his (kruls) arrival?

Which area has Given improved in, in the last 5 seasons?

He's the same keeper, and has been for a while. Souness tried to improve his kicking (head down, straight line) but that was given up on pretty sharpish for some reason.

Which keeper would come to Newcastle knowing they are gonna be 2nd choice to Given, taking into account Given's brilliant fitness record over the years he's been here? If we are after a keeper who would challenge Given then it is gonna have to be an excellent keeper and i can't see us getting one of them as 2nd choice.

That would be the next step if what am saying was agreed in principle.

I really do not have the answer, only two options, an aging keeper (toldo mold) who'll be part coach part backup or a keeper with such different abilities (communicator, organiser & distributer) to Given that it could rub off on him.

Maybe these are parts of his game that come at 30+, but there have been no signs of it developing for sometime now and i think it needs addressing.

Like i said, its unfair to promote Krul to no2 as he needs games (loan move) but as for Harper, well i think we'd be better off with someone else as no2 as he doesn't bring anything to the table that Given cannot do.

Like Leazes1986 said - who would come here to be number two to Shay Given, and in the knowledge that a highly rated youngster is biding his time to take over as the number 1?

Steve Harper isn't as good as some make out, but under those circumstances is probably better than any other option I can think of.

A number two keeper at NUFC doesn't need to be pushing Given, just provide suitable backup in cases of emergency. As I said, this has been Given's worst season for injuries, surely a one off...?

He's so over-rated by Newcastle fans. He's crap. Strolls about when it comes to kicking, and when he finally does put a boot through it, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't go far, goes out of play, finds an opposition player. Get rid, promote Krul to reserve keeper, sign some lower league keeper as 3rd choice.

this, his distribution is god awful.

Like Leazes1986 said - who would come here to be number two to Shay Given, and in the knowledge that a highly rated youngster is biding his time to take over as the number 1?

Steve Harper isn't as good as some make out, but under those circumstances is probably better than any other option I can think of.

A number two keeper at NUFC doesn't need to be pushing Given, just provide suitable backup in cases of emergency. As I said, this has been Given's worst season for injuries, surely a one off...?

Injuries are not what i've got a problem with, he's just not learning at all and i feel its because he's guaranteed his place as long as he's fit.

Injuries are not what i've got a problem with, he's just not learning at all and i feel its because he's guaranteed his place as long as he's fit.

So nothing to do with the coaching? Or the fact there's no such thing as the perfect keeper who excels in all departments?

In that case I'd have to say there are many, many things more important for the new man to work on before he addresses turning Given from quality into world-class.

Not comparing Given to Schmeichel, but the Great Dane didn't need someone breathing down his neck to excell - he had to compete with the likes of Pilkington and Van Der Gouw for his starting place!

I would have a problem if he wasn't performing, but he performs brilliantly consistently. It amazes me that some people can moan about Shay Given of all people. He might be lacking in parts, but he makes up with it in other parts of his game. We should just hope for our sake that he stays loyal to us for the next few years.

nearly as bad as Givens.

nearly as bad as Givens.

Who is Givens?

Guest Grey

4th best keeper in the league according to sgrey tbh

shay's now 3rd best keeper in the league actually