Owen

Parky

Got beat 5-1 against Blackburn as well didnt we?

Yep, and I don't think Owen played in as good a Newcastle side as what Shearer did, so it's a shocking comparison tbh. I'm sure if Owen, even today, had Robert, Bellamy, Solano, Speed & Dyer around him, he'd still easily get 15-20 a season while fit. Stick Shearer in this team, and he'd struggle to 10.

I don't think there's much question about it that Shearer was a better on-the-field Captain. Doubt he would have prevented such annihilations as the Liverpool game, though.

From what I remember, Shearer's "on-the-field" captaincy mainly just consisted of glaring or shouting at his wingers when they didn't put the ball on a plate for him.

Was that when Dabizas got sent off in the 3rd minute?

Was 5-2 actually.

Dabizas was sent off in the 5th minute, doesn't really excuse the result though.

Yep, and I don't think Owen played in as good a Newcastle side as what Shearer did, so it's a shocking comparison tbh. I'm sure if Owen, even today, had Robert, Bellamy, Solano, Speed & Dyer around him, he'd still easily get 15-20 a season while fit. Stick Shearer in this team, and he'd struggle to 10.

Depends what Shearer you mean tbh. I agree the comparison doesn't make a great deal of sense mind.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I don't think there's much question about it that Shearer was a better on-the-field Captain. Doubt he would have prevented such annihilations as the Liverpool game, though.

From what I remember, Shearer's "on-the-field" captaincy mainly just consisted of glaring or shouting at his wingers when they didn't put the ball on a plate for him.

I agree, Shearer is the worst player in the club's history.

I've gotta disagree with this to be honest.

I think you're talking sh*t for a change.

Remember when Dyer and Bowyer got in that scrap (cant forget it can you)?

Well didn't Shearer give the two of them a roasting after the game? Apparently he (along with Souness) made them issue a public apology.

Personally, I thought Shearer was always a great captain. He was a great ambassador for the club as well, imo. Alan always made sure he give his all, but also that the rest of his team-mates did- that's what you want from your skipper.

Claiming Bent is a better player than Owen is laughable to be honest. Carry on

Bent has 10 league goals this season, better than Owen, and only 5 behind the premiership's top scorer. Bent hasn't started  nearly as many as Owen either

Is Capello laughable? because he clearly agrees with me. Owen has failed at international level post 98. He's chipped in with a few goals in friendlies but where it matters he hasn't delivered. He's England's 6th choice striker now, and rightfully so

What a gigantic load of BS

LOL

So Owen didnt take part in that 5-1 win in Germany when he got a hattrick. He didnt score any goals in qualification for the 2002 world cup did he. He also didnt score against Brazil in a game during the world cup that we SHOULD have gone on to win had it not been for Ronaldinho and Seamans awful level of vision.

Atleast try to back up your pointlessly illogical hatred of Owen with the smallest hint of a half decent argument.

Bent has 10 league goals this season, better than Owen, and only 5 behind the premiership's top scorer. Bent hasn't started  nearly as many as Owen either

Is Capello laughable? because he clearly agrees with me. Owen has failed at international level post 98. He's chipped in with a few goals in friendlies but where it matters he hasn't delivered. He's England's 6th choice striker now, and rightfully so

totally agree, owen is totally past it and his england career is rightly finished and is the worst captain I have seen at this club

that's one of the reason's were in the s***, remember the liverpool game, when we we're getting thumped where was owen, if that had been shearer then head's would of rumbled with players in that game

Yes lets compare every single player to Alan shearer, because that makes sense.

He isnt the one who makes himself captain, i agree he shouldnt be captain.

Blaming our level of sh.te in the liverpool game on Owen is moronic. You expect the guy to single handedly turn around the general level of crap of our entire side, especially defence & if he doesnt achieve that hes crap right.

Great logic as usual.

More than Owen, then. :razz: Shearer was a real leader of men imo. Perhaps i should have said matchday, as opposed to on the field. I bet he was a force in the dressing room n'all.

LOL

So Owen didnt take part in that 5-1 win in Germany when he got a hattrick. He didnt score any goals in qualification for the 2002 world cup did he. He also didnt score against Brazil in a game during the world cup that we SHOULD have gone on to win had it not been for Ronaldinho and Seamans awful level of vision.

Atleast try to back up your pointlessly illogical hatred of Owen with the smallest hint of a half decent argument.

The ironic thing is Owen game has suffered with numerous injuries which Ronaldo now criticizes a great deal - ignoring the fact Owen is in a very very poor team, yet the player in his picture hasn't been the same player for a hugeee number of years for very same reasons.  Which he will probably now try to defend.

Michael Owen used to be a striker,with pace to burn,who could create goals for himself.Now,he has to rely on service from others to create his chances.In this side,he doesnt get a quarter of the chances he used to,because of the lack of genuine quality in the team.In essence,because he now doesnt possess the qualities he used to,he is half the player we spent 16 million quid on.

Guest Sniffer

Put him in a good team that doesn't think high balls are the best option and he'll score goals. And look a much better player when he's not dragged down by the shite we surround him with.

Guest nufc_geordie

LOL

The ironic thing is Owen game has suffered with numerous injuries which Ronaldo now criticizes a great deal - ignoring the fact Owen is in a very very poor team, yet the player in his picture hasn't been the same player for a hugeee number of years for very same reasons.  Which he will probably now try to defend.

Shearer was never the same player once he got injured but he adapted his game to become a more rounded player. I agree that Owen is not the same player he was in 1998 but his record speaks for himself. He will score goals when playing in a decent team and he also creates chances and links up play well.

My issue is not with his scoring and play but with his general attitude. He clearly is not match fit, has been out for some time and there are reserve teams going on. Danny Guthrie came back last night in the reserves, was hungry and has now got minutes of play in his legs. Where was St Michael? If he wants to play for England and wants to get back scoring goals he should be in the reserves until sufficiently fit.

Guest Sniffer

On the other hand,  if Owen was injured in a reserve game Hughton would still be slated. Rock and a hard place.

Put him in a good team that doesn't think high balls are the best option and he'll score goals. And look a much better player when he's not dragged down by the shite we surround him with.

I'm not impressed with his attitude overall but this is definitely true. He's still a good player, just playing in a dog-awful team. His problem is that when he's not scoring, he's pretty much worthless. Sounds daft saying that about a striker but in a team who can't create for him it's just a waste of time playing him.

I'm not impressed with his attitude overall but this is definitely true. He's still a good player, just playing in a dog-awful team. His problem is that when he's not scoring, he's pretty much worthless. Sounds daft saying that about a striker but in a team who can't create for him it's just a waste of time playing him.

:pow:

More than Owen, then. :razz: Shearer was a real leader of men imo. Perhaps i should have said matchday, as opposed to on the field. I bet he was a force in the dressing room n'all.

Made more of a difference to our run in that got us 7th in our final season than Roeder in my particularly speculative opinion.

The current Owen compared to Shearer at his best for us? No chance.

LOL

looks at Owen's stats for the qualification games for euro 00 and 04, and wc 2002 and 06 and of course the tournaments themselves in which his record is 4 goals in 15 games.

Not even 1 in 3 for a player who gives nowt to the team but goals? That's what i mean. Since 2000 his record for England is nowt to speak of, he's never covered himself in glory, even with the brilliant service he's recieved.

make up your own mind if that's a half-decent arguement or not. Owen's fans are typically the ones who listen to dickheads in the media like Chris Waddle who are happy to ignore the fact that it's been 11 years since WC 1998.

LOL

Shearer was never the same player once he got injured but he adapted his game to become a more rounded player. I agree that Owen is not the same player he was in 1998 but his record speaks for himself. He will score goals when playing in a decent team and he also creates chances and links up play well.

My issue is not with his scoring and play but with his general attitude. He clearly is not match fit, has been out for some time and there are reserve teams going on. Danny Guthrie came back last night in the reserves, was hungry and has now got minutes of play in his legs. Where was St Michael? If he wants to play for England and wants to get back scoring goals he should be in the reserves until sufficiently fit.

Shearer had the brains but more importantly the physical stature to be able to change his game.Owen has not,and a blind man on a galloping horse could've predicted that once Owen's speed had gone then he would be nigh on finished as a top level striker.