Owen

Parky

England:

Owen:  89 caps 40 goals

Rooney:  49 caps 21 goals.

So even with Owen not really doing anything for England since WC98 he still has a better goal ratio than Rooney.

His Newcastle record is 64 appearances 26 goals. 

Rooney for Man Utd 148 appearances 62 goals. 

Both about 2.4 appearances to a goal.  So your argument isn't really supported by any figures.  Owen CAN hold the ball up, link up play, etc when asked to do that role.  End of previous season, head and shoulders our best player.

Owen does the basics ok, but he cant really hold the ball up. And he wasn't head and shoulders our best player at the end of last season tbh. You could make a case for Viduka and Martins, even Faye in those last 9 or so games

Guest Phil K

Interesting quote from Ian Wright on Owen that I agreed with "Pay less attention to your horses and more on football"

Quite amazing - thats twice in a week I've agreed with something in the Sun.

Wrighty was bang on and Mikey needs to get his ****** finger out, and stop relying on what he did in the past.

Has Owen ever scored against a top 4 club in his time at nufc?

no chance

Has gone curiously AWOL whenever we have played Livepuddle

Much like Nicky Butt and Man U in fact

Interesting quote from Ian Wright on Owen that I agreed with "Pay less attention to your horses and more on football"

Quite amazing - thats twice in a week I've agreed with something in the Sun.

Wrighty was bang on and Mikey needs to get his ****** finger out, and stop relying on what he did in the past.

no chance

Has gone curiously AWOL whenever we have played Livepuddle

Much like Nicky Butt and Man U in fact

Which is likely to be down to the level of quality in defence the top 4 have & a lack of service to Owen because of that huh

Imo, I think we'll see at least 3 or 4 goals from Owen from now and end of season. Shearer know's what hes all about and imo, Owen'll thrive under his management!

Yeah but Shearer doesn't have to fix Owen, he has to fix the shit wingers we have.

Owen will stay if Shearer kept on long term.

The Guardian.

Less than an hour since the appointment is confirmed that they're already making assumptions like that. Bollocks. :lol: We could have appointed Owen's dad, he'd still have been out the door in the summer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/01/alan-shearer-michael-owen-newcastle-united

"If Alan is going to be Newcastle's manager next season that will change everything at the club," said a source close to Owen last night. "For Michael, Alan would be the ideal manager. He would galvanise the club and Michael would love to be a part of that. Newcastle have struggled for the last two seasons and that is a worry for a player like Michael who was used to playing regularly for England and in the Champions League when he signed for the club.

"Newcastle have offered him a contract but that was withdrawn at the start of the year when Michael said he wouldn't make a decision until the end of the season. But they have also said they will offer him a new one as soon as they are safe from relegation and Alan has made it clear that he sees Michael as being vital to his plans. There is a much better chance Michael will remain a Newcastle player because of Alan."

I'll eat my hat if it happens. Personally, i'd like to see it. If we're safe in the knowledge that Michael Owen is committed to this club, then i'm happy to see him here. Not because we're offering him £150k a week. Not because no fucker else will have him. He can bugger off and die on his arse if we're his second choice again, like we were four years ago. I want to know for certain that Owen is genuinely a Newcastle player, and if that's the case, then i'm happy to see him stay.

But i still can't see it. A decent contract offer from City or Everton or Liverpool will come in and he'll be on his way.

Unless he considerably improves his performances I don't forsee a future for him. Shearer may know what Owen is a all about but that didn't really matter when KK played him out of position and got the best performances we've seen from him. I'll wait to see how it pans out but at the current moment I think he will move on in the summer.

no chance

Why are you so obsessed with stats? Just because he's not done it before doesn't mean he definitely won't in the future.

Guest Phil K
Which is likely to be down to the level of quality in defence the top 4 have & a lack of service to Owen because of that huh

Which is what he'd say too.

Doesn't make it correct though.

Whining about "the quality of defence" is what players who aren't scoring do.

Truly great players, like Owen once was, don't need that excuse.

The fact he (and you) needs that excuse says it all.

What Ian Wright says is absolutely on the nose.

Its the mentality on the horses, and the non-stop injuries that have cost Owen his England place more than Newcastle's form.

no chance

Why are you so obsessed with stats? Just because he's not done it before doesn't mean he definitely won't in the future.

because with Owen people seem to ignore then. They still think he's the player of 1998.

It's always been the same with Owen though, he does fuck all against good defenders

seems a bit daft to me

it'll improve Owen's form imo. whether it improves the form of the team remains to be seen. if he tries to pair him with a target man like Smith or Carroll we're fucked.

At the end of the day, Owen is the marquee player in the squad, he's the club captain, he's the most proven player we've got in terms of quality.

People are quick to forget how good/important he was under Keegan when fit and confident last season and you'd hope to see more of the same across these 8 games.

He's been a waste of a shirt at times apart from then, though, but surely a fully-fit, confident and on-form Michael Owen is the biggest asset this football club has on the playing side.

I appreciate how much Oba brings to the team (at times) as well though and would put him right up near to Owen with the same parameters applied (fit, confident, on-form), so I hope he's been told the same by Al and will partner Mickey... or we just go 4-3-3 again...

Not wanting to dampen anything - and pure speculation - but it'll be interesting to see how Al rates Oba. To me it seemed like he never fancied playing alongside Lua Lua, the player who I'd consider most like Martins from Al's time as a player here - too unpredictable, not as much of a team player, etc.

At the end of the day, Owen is the marquee player in the squad, he's the club captain, he's the most proven player we've got in terms of quality.

People are quick to forget how good/important he was under Keegan when fit and confident last season and you'd hope to see more of the same across these 8 games.

He's been a waste of a shirt at times apart from then, though, but surely a fully-fit, confident and on-form Michael Owen is the biggest asset this football club has on the playing side.I appreciate how much Oba brings to the team (at times) as well though and would put him right up near to Owen with the same parameters applied (fit, confident, on-form), so I hope he's been told the same by Al and will partner Mickey... or we just go 4-3-3 again...

Not wanting to dampen anything - and pure speculation - but it'll be interesting to see how Al rates Oba. To me it seemed like he never fancied playing alongside Lua Lua, the player who I'd consider most like Martins from Al's time as a player here - too unpredictable, not as much of a team player, etc.

we're in big trouble if that's true.