nufc.com

lovejoy

Ive read that article 3 times now and i still dont know what the point of the article was.

They seem to be missing the point completely with this one, for what its worth, i thought at the time that is was wrong to sack SBR, he was the first manager to achieve 3 top 5 finishes for the first time in 50 years. ;)

I'm not going to bite at that one Fredbob  :lol: :lol:

Fwiw I agree with their article on Robson.  They were bang on about how they saw the whole situation of the Wolves game and his eventual sacking.  The club had just started taking its first few steps backwards on the journey that has turned into the huge slide to where we find ourselves today.

Still love the fella though.

Guest toonlass

Collective amnesia, again………………

Do any of you who have made Robson a Geordie Saint, not remember the total lack of dissent at his dismissal. Yes it was daft timing so early in season. We should have done what Liverpool and Chelsea did (who both finished below us) replace their manger at the end of the season before. I was at the Wolves game, were any of you? Few supported him continuing when he was sacked, now all that has been airbrushed away, history re-written and our current plight put at his sacking. One commends him for all his charity work, but when everyone else seeks to re-write history, nufc.com doesn’t.

Bloody hell. And I thought .com were more grown up than that! Yes, I was at the wolves game, so what? Even if people were not there, are they not allowed to have an opinion? What Nufc.com fail to realise is that the love for Bobby Robson comes from more than just the time he was at Newcastle United. Ok you can print your little sniping article on your website, but considering that the bloke is dying its a bit sad that you choose to do it.

if you don't like them and their opinions then why bother logging on to read.

it's your own decision to view the site. it's their website, what's written and what sponsors they have is their business. Same with True Faith. They aren't forcing you to accept or agree with their views.

and both NUFC.com and True Faith will always say "this is our view, we are not speaking on behalf of all NUFC fans".

If people are that arsed about things then start your own site and get your own opinions aired to the world.

if you don't like them and their opinions then why bother logging on to read.

it's your own decision to view the site. it's their website, what's written and what sponsors they have is their business. Same with True Faith. They aren't forcing you to accept or agree with their views.

and both NUFC.com and True Faith will always say "this is our view, we are not speaking on behalf of all NUFC fans".

If people are that arsed about things then start your own site and get your own opinions aired to the world.

They have a huge reader-base, and as a result they are speaking on behalf of NUFC fans, whether you (or they) like it or not. Their articles have a direct influence on many; especially the stereotypical breed of mongs that you see protesting outside of st james's park on SSN who probably take every single word they write as gospel.

As such, their opinions hold far more weight than something posted on here, for instance, and they should be more careful about what they print. They certainly should more be impartial; in my opinion anyway. I've communicated with Niall and Biffa in the past and my immediate impression was that they were both sound blokes with sound intentions; I've heard the same thing from people who've met them. However, articles like this just seem tactless and unnecessary attempts at controversy, and would be better served as a messageboard post viewed by hundreds than an article viewed by hundreds of thousands.

Guest sittingontheball

Fwiw, we actually got more points in the Roeder 7th season than in the Robson 5th one.

My interpretation is that they seem to think there is clamour for further recognition from NUFC in particular of Robson and they wish to disassociate themselves from it. I don't live in the Toon, so I can't speak on the general mood. If there is no such clamour, the article is simply creating a straw man for them to belittle Robson at a tasteless time.

On the general point, I agree that gongs, minute silences and named tributes are far too easily handed out these days. A line really does need to be drawn.

Ive read that article 3 times now and i still dont know what the point of the article was.

They seem to be missing the point completely with this one, for what its worth, i thought at the time that is was wrong to sack SBR, he was the first manager to achieve 3 top 5 finishes for the first time in 50 years. ;)

I'm not going to bite at that one Fredbob  :lol: :lol:

:lol:  :pow:

There was something a bit half-arsed and confused about this Sir Bobby Robson day which is a bit of a reflection on the organisation that spawned it. It feels like a bit of an impulse decision that in reality was as much about raising NUSC's profile as anything else.

If it was all about supporting the charity then there needs to be a longer commitment to fund-raising. If it was about a day of saying thank you for what he did for the club, then that's a bit embarrassing when so many fans wanted him sacked.

No surprise that eventually it became a stick to beat Ashley with.

There was something a bit half-arsed and confused about this Sir Bobby Robson day which is a bit of a reflection on the organisation that spawned it. It feels like a bit of an impulse decision that in reality was as much about raising NUSC's profile as anything else.

If it was all about supporting the charity then there needs to be a longer commitment to fund-raising. If it was about a day of saying thank you for what he did for the club, then that's a bit embarrassing when so many fans wanted him sacked.

No surprise that eventually it became a stick to beat Ashley with.

Now you've gone & done it. :lol:

Collective amnesia, again………………

Do any of you who have made Robson a Geordie Saint, not remember the total lack of dissent at his dismissal. Yes it was daft timing so early in season. We should have done what Liverpool and Chelsea did (who both finished below us) replace their manger at the end of the season before. I was at the Wolves game, were any of you? Few supported him continuing when he was sacked, now all that has been airbrushed away, history re-written and our current plight put at his sacking. One commends him for all his charity work, but when everyone else seeks to re-write history, nufc.com doesn’t.

Football fans in being a little bit fickle shocker!!

Yeah lots of people have changed their minds/rewritten history/mellowed/put on their rose-tinted specs/whatever since then, but frankly who fucking cares!?! This anti-Robson thing has become a bit of a soapbox for you two and it's really rather sad, just let it go, nobody dislikes Bobby anymore, even those who hated him at the time, so you're wasting your time trying to remind them that they once did.

To keep banging on and on about it displays a huge lack of class, the bloke's dying, for fuck's sake, and you're using it as an opportunity to score petty points. I seriously doubt you'd have written that article if the Bobby Robson Day had been a huge success, you're only talking about this because you think the low-key response means people are going to agree with you, if it had been the other way round, I don't think you'd have had the balls.

Good post. I'm generally a pretty big fan of .com, but that's a fucking pathetic article.

Guest fading star

Couldn’t quite believe what I was reading on N&B. It looks like they are trying to distance themselves from the SBR Day flop, for unfortunately that is what it was. Full credit to the lad and lasses who stood around in the cold collecting for his charity, but as an event it was a bit embarrassing really.

As has been said most supporters respect SBR for what he’s achieved over his career and the dignity with which he did so. The thoughts and efforts of supporters should be focused on trying to come up with another way for supporters to show their appreciation and respect, not reinventing the context of the Wolves walk out.

Its not collective amnesia, its collective guilt as 1000's of fans were forced into the unfortunately rare realisation of their own stupidity. Football fans, as a collective, are basically thick as fuck and dont know what they've got until its gone.

Robson >>>>>> Souness. End of debate.

Guest Howaythetoon

Thousands booing and walking out wasn't a collective statement from those fans demanding Sir Bobby got the sack or that he should go but a collective sigh about a season that had promised so much but ultimately delivered nothing (nothing new anyway) and was more of a public disapproval regarding that season, the many off-field events that accompanied it and of course the poor transfer windows than anything else and not so much Sir Bobby himself. Much like the moans and groans at home to Liverpool last season wasn't a statement from fans that Big Sam should go, or the warm applause that Souness received at Michael Owen's unveiling was some kind of thumbs up of his time here or his managerial abilities either, because it wasn't.

Not that it has anything to do with the way fans feel about Sir Bobby today, or shouldn't do.

Thousands booing and walking out wasn't a collective statement from those fans demanding Sir Bobby got the sack or that he should go but a collective sigh about a season that had promised so much but ultimately delivered nothing (nothing new anyway) and was more of a public disapproval regarding that season, the many off-field events that accompanied it and of course the poor transfer windows than anything else and not so much Sir Bobby himself. Much like the moans and groans at home to Liverpool last season wasn't a statement from fans that Big Sam should go, or the warm applause that Souness received at Michael Owen's unveiling was some kind of thumbs up of his time here or his managerial abilities either, because it wasn't.

Not that it has anything to do with the way fans feel about Sir Bobby today, or shouldn't do.

If it wasnt an approval of sacking from the majority of fans who booed - then how come we barely heard a whimper when he was sacked? I was furious with the decison becasue it was the wrong decision.

Nufc fans had forgotten from where they'd come from and the torrent of abuse was quite frankly shameful. I remember writing a post a while back on why NUFC fans arent as great as they think they are and this event featured very heavily. Ill always look at the decision to sack SBR to be the one decision that has dragged the club back 5 years and put us permanantely in the chasing pack rather than the front runners.

Heartbreaking.

If it wasnt an approval of sacking from the majority of fans who booed - then how come we barely heard a whimper when he was sacked? I was furious with the decison becasue it was the wrong decision.

Nufc fans had forgotten from where they'd come from and the torrent of abuse was quite frankly shameful. I remember writing a post a while back on why NUFC fans arent as great as they think they are and this event featured very heavily. Ill always look at the decision to sack SBR to be the one decision that has dragged the club back 5 years and put us permanantely in the chasing pack rather than the front runners.

Heartbreaking.

It was the right decision but at the wrong time.

Guest The Libertine

his replacement dragged us back 5 years imo. if shepherd had been ambitious with the next appointment of a very good manager we'd have hit the ground running.

his replacement dragged us back 5 years imo. if shepherd had been ambitious with the next appointment of a very good manager we'd have hit the ground running.

Exactly. He should have went in that summer the same time Liverpool got rid of Houllier and replaced with a top class replacement. For all the stick Shepherd gets, when some of it to me is undeserved this to me was the biggest mistake of his tenure as Chairman.

Exactly. He should have went in that summer the same time Liverpool got rid of Houllier and replaced with a top class replacement. For all the stick Shepherd gets, when some of it to me is undeserved this to me was the biggest mistake of his tenure as Chairman.

He was thinking along the right lines I think because there was obviously an attitude problem with the players. He just made the wrong choice in man to come and sort it out.

Its not collective amnesia, its collective guilt as 1000's of fans were forced into the unfortunately rare realisation of their own stupidity. Football fans, as a collective, are basically thick as fuck and dont know what they've got until its gone.

Robson >>>>>> Souness. End of debate.

at the time i never wanted rid of Robson, i thought it was a riduculous reaction to a bit of bad form. If the problems in the changing room were so bad, we should have sorted that out, not got rid of the manager.

He was thinking along the right lines I think because there was obviously an attitude problem with the players. He just made the wrong choice in man to come and sort it out.

The attitude problems came about after Bobby became a lame duck, before that the problems were minor.

Heartbreaking.

It was the right decision but at the wrong time.

Yeh, you're right, it was a season too early. At least.