Distin Rejection?

KaKa

Distin heading for Portsmouth

Chris Taylor

Monday May 21, 2007

The Guardian

Sylvain Distin will this week join Portsmouth from Manchester City after snubbing a return to Newcastle. The out-of-contract French defender, 30, has agreed a £40,000-a-week package with Pompey after rejecting a new deal at City.

Distin, who spent eight months at St James' Park in 2002, turned down the chance to become Sam Allardyce's first signing as Newcastle's manager.

Portsmouth's manager, Harry Redknapp, has been chasing Distin since the summer. Redknapp said: "I like Distin. He is a big, strong player and will be a great free transfer. People like him can command good wages because there is no transfer fee."

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pompey are also close to clinching a club record £9m deal for Udinese's Ghana midfielder Sulley Muntari. Redknapp added: "Peter Storrie, our chief executive, is working on that and I would love to have him here."

Wolves' highly rated winger Michael Kightly is to be offered a new deal by the club. The 21-year-old has impressed since making his loan from non-League Grays permanent in January and will be given an extension to his 2½-year contract.

Kightly was reportedly a target for Manchester United on the eve of signing at Molineux but Wolves' manager, Mick McCarthy, is keen to sign him up long term. McCarthy told the club's website: "Will Michael be offered a new deal? Absolutely! Kites came in the day after the play-offs and said he wants the No7 shirt for next season. I've told him that unless we sign David Beckham then it's his!"

Would be comical if he did.  I don't know what he has against us, but it might be a good thing if he did go to Pompey because it would increase the chances of Campbell leaving. 

Speaking of Campbell and more experienced defenders in general, we are being linked with Hyppia today also as it looks like he will be let go by Liverpool this summer.

Guest LucaAltieri

Would be comical if he did.  I don't know what he has against us, but it might be a good thing if he did go to Pompey because it would increase the chances of Campbell leaving. 

Speaking of Campbell and more experienced defenders in general, we are being linked with Hyppia today also as it looks like he will be let go by Liverpool this summer.

Hope so... he's still got plenty left in the tank... moreso than Campbell in my opinion.

Do I not fancy a back two made up of Cambell and Hyppia. Slowest defence in the history of the world.

Would only really want one of them though. 2 wouldn't be needed, I really want to build for the future more than ever now, rather than relying on old, proven, but past their best players. We're not Bolton, we've got more money, I'd rather use it for the future than sorting out our problems on a very short-term basis.

Good. Signing Distin would be an awful move. Vastly overrated by many on this board.

Possibly, but underrated by a canny few as well. Good player, and better than anyone we've had since Woodgate left

Guest teepee

Would only really want one of them though. 2 wouldn't be needed, I really want to build for the future more than ever now, rather than relying on old, proven, but past their best players. We're not Bolton, we've got more money, I'd rather use it for the future than sorting out our problems on a very short-term basis.

i agree - one of them would be great, but both would be stupid.

campbell is the better option imo - hypia seems even slower than sol :-)

i agree - one of them would be great, but both would be stupid.

campbell is the better option imo - hypia seems even slower than sol :-)

Agreed. I'd like Ben Haim plus Campbell ideally, as Hypia is good poitionally etc but very very slow. Then we have Cambell, Haim and Taylor as main choices for the 2 CB's positions with Hunty Edgar and Ramage as back ups. Surely Big Sam could then forge a decent defence once he gets a quality LB plus another RB.

Shame about Distan. Shame in fact we coulden't hang onto him when we had him first, but time to move on me thinks.

Have to say I aint to botherd to lose out on him if it is true that he is going to Pompey, he will be joining Titus there anyway so I am sure Titus will rub off on them all and Pomepy will go down next season. :D

not to keen on signing hyppia meself. he is well finished imo.

if distin has turned us down, then ben haim and campbell would be the 2 i would move for

I don't mean to correct peoples mistakes but I think its Finnish not Finished.

Guest NUFCnutter

if distin has turned us down, then ben haim and campbell would be the 2 i would move for

mackems.gif

touche mr gejon