Heinze to leave Man U, off to Real Madrid

Guest gggg

Guest gggg

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/manchester_united/article1816657.ece

Heinze misses the bus as Hargreaves jumps on

Oliver Kay

SIR ALEX FERGUSON ONCE DESCRIBED Manchester United as “a bus that waits for no man” and, as he consoled himself with a little retail therapy yesterday with long-awaited confirmation of a deal to sign Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich, it became clear that Gabriel Heinze would be foremost among those passengers left behind.

Heinze was chosen ahead of Patrice Evra at left back on Saturday, at the end of a season-long battle between the two of them, but the FA Cup Final seems certain to mark the Argentina defender’s swansong as a United player. He has told teammates that he does not expect to be at Old Trafford next season, with a move to an unidentified Spanish club believed to be on the cards.

Having served three years of a five-year contract, Heinze could be bought out of his existing deal for approximately £6 million under new Fifa transfer regulations, but United are likely to settle for a slightly smaller sum for a player who has struggled to regain his top form since suffering cruciate knee ligament damage in September 2005 after a highly impressive first season at the club.

There will be other departures this summer, with Ferguson eager to find reinforcements in certain areas and to accommodate a number of young players who have impressed on loan this season. Mikaël Silvestre and Louis Saha are also vulnerable, despite having signed new contracts in the past 12 months, although Saha hopes that recent uncertainty over his future, arising from a series of injuries, will be eased when Ranko Stojic, his agent, speaks to the club this week.

Would be a great buy but it looks like he's got his bags already packed for Spain

Guest Ridzuan

Dont think he is good enough for the club and I want to see we getting players who plays regularly for a club,not those who are not wanted by the club anymore.

Never really recovered fully from that injury hence everyone just floats past him now.

It's not just that. His touch has been diabolical along with his decision making. Definitely started out as an injury thing and ended up a major confidence issue. I'll think he'll get that back and become a really decent full-back again.

Never really recovered fully from that injury hence everyone just floats past him now.

It's not just that. His touch has been diabolical along with his decision making. Definitely started out as an injury thing and ended up a major confidence issue. I'll think he'll get that back and become a really decent full-back again.

Good point the confidence issue with injury is often forgotten.  :thup:

Guest Morph

I'd take Heize in a flash, but I'd imagine if he leaves Man Utd someone like Barca or Inter would be in for him.  He is THAT good.

Just thought I'd add the thoughts of soccernet.com's Phil Holland from his team of the season:

Following the demoralising blow of missing out on a place in the French World Cup squad Evra focussed his energies on becoming an even better player than we already knew he was. Allied to great pace, passing and tackling ability Evra boasts a tactical and spatial awareness that has brought into sharp focus just how poor his left-back rival at United, Gabriel Heinze, has become.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=431937&root=england&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1&cc=3436

The paragraph immediately following that one has some interesting views on the importance of fullbacks in the modern game... but that's for a different thread...

Guest Toon83

Heinze is a quality player and maybe the new boss can attract players of his calibre but i'm not sure he would want to play for a team without european football.

Baines would be a better choice

Heinze is a quality player and maybe the new boss can attract players of his calibre but i'm not sure he would want to play for a team without european football.

Baines would be a better choice

I disagree. Heinze is a better defender in every aspect. He would be an excellent signing imo, and he's a decent centre half as well.

Heinze is class player and will only leave Man Utd for Champions league team imo

I would be interested in signing Silvestre though

Can play at CB and LB

Nothing spectacular but good player imo

Guest Stephen927

Quality player who's lacking in confidence.

I'd like to see us make a bid but I can't see him signing for us if the top teams come in (no doubt they will).

Right now we can only promise him the potential of having Champions League football in a few seasons, I can't see him having that much patience with us when he was on the sidelines for quite a long time and missed a lot of football.

Absolutely piss poor this season. Anyone who says otherwise is just talking crap because he's a famous name

He was also the worst diver I saw visit Goodison all season which is disgusting for a defender.   

His legs have gone imo.

Looks a shadow of the player he did a couple of years ago. Still far better than Babayaro like (which is sickening).  :(

like many have said issues regarding him getting over the last major injury I do feel he is a class act but as usual good teams dont let their best players go.

Guest NUFCnutter

The thought of Heinze turning out in a Black and White shirt does not fill me with any positive emotion. We can do better than him, imo.