Ten years at Toon for Shay

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

www.nufc.co.uk

SHAY Given celebrates ten years as a Newcastle United player this week after moving to Tyneside from Blackburn Rovers in the summer of 1997.

Given, then 21, was snapped up by Kenny Dalglish for a fee of £1.5m after beating off competition from a hosts of clubs for the promising young stopper.

The Irishman has gone on to become a fans' favourite among the Toon Army, and is widely regarded as one of the best keepers in the Premiership.

He became only the ninth player to pass the 400 appearance mark for United this season, and is now just 83 behind fellow goalkeeper and club record holder Jimmy Lawrence on 496.

Given has endured a frustrating campaign following a horrific stomach injury sustained at West Ham in September.

But, with a summer free of any footballing commitment, the Lifford-born star is hoping that any injury problems will be long forgotten by the time he reports back for pre-season training at the beginning of July.

Shay told nufc.co.uk: "Hopefully this is the end of my injury problems.

"I've done a lot of work in the gym and I felt fine at Watford, I had a lot of kicking to do in that game and it felt good.

"This is the first summer I have had free in a long time to spend time with the family so I'm looking forward to it.

"I'm hoping it will help my groins and stomach to recover what with the season I've had.

"But I'll be raring to go again next season and hopefully the rest will do me the world of good."

And, with time still on the Irishman's side, Shay says that the one thing he wants more than anything is to win some silverware with Newcastle United.

"I'm still very hungry to win something with Newcastle," added the 80-times capped internatioanl.

"I came here ten years ago to win trophies and I want to do that for myself and for the fans.

"I've got a good few years left and hopefully in that time we can pick up some silverware."

Guest Ridzuan

Shay is already a legend.I rank him up there with the likes of Wor Jackie and Big Al.Hopefully,unlike Big Al,he will get to win some silverwear with us before he hangs up his boots because he too deserve it.At the same time,I think Steve Harper should also be given some credit.

Congrats to Given, him and Harper should be given a joint testimonial.

However, I don't think that Given will last for more than three years.

Generally keepers make up for loss of agility with improved mental attributes that come with experience, but Given's mental attributes aren't that good compared to other long lasting keepers.

Hopefully Allardyce can get him on some regime that will keep him physically fresh and injury free, while at the same time work on some of the mental attributes in his game.

Inevitably though, Given will get injured in a couple of years, and Krul will get a prolonged run, and keep his place.

Generally keepers make up for loss of agility with improved mental attributes that come with experience, but Given's mental attributes aren't that good compared to other long lasting keepers.

Hopefully Allardyce can get him on some regime that will keep him physically fresh and injury free, while at the same time work on some of the mental attributes in his game.

Inevitably though, Given will get injured in a couple of years, and Krul will get a prolonged run, and keep his place.

You should take up coaching.....or not...

Harper deserves a testamonial for what exactly?

Being shite or having no ambition?

Guest Toon83

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shay is a true proffessional and a credit to the game these days

Only been watching Newcastle since about the time Given first came, but surely he is one of Newcastle United's best ever signings?

An honest opinion from HTL/NE5 on that would be interesting, genuinely.

Top man. Love him to bits. :D

the model professional that spoke out at the right times, could have gone else where if he wanted but stuck by us, sad really that he will never be seen as highly regarded as wore alan just to the fact he is a keeper and his contributions arent seen as easily

Guest NUFCnutter

I have nothing but respect for Shay Given. The lad does his job, doesn't whine and moan, and is always proud to pull on the Newcastle Shirt, and we couldn't get a decent replacement for 3 times what he cost.

Deserves every plaudit he's going to inevitably get. Top keeper and a top professional *  :thup:

* Apart from when he spat his dummy 6 years ago and submitted a transfer request after losing his place to Harper. Having said that, he probably knew he was streets ahead of Harper and his over-reaction has largely been erased from my memory BECAUSE HE WAS FUCKING RIGHT.  :lol:

PS. Don't start with the Harper vs Given shit please.

Guest NUFCnutter

I get bloody sick of this whole "Harper lacks ambition" shit  :tickedoff: If you worked somewhere for a canny wage, doing the job you want to do, its local to where you live and when you do get to show what you can do people seem to appreciate it, would you want to move. I don't see Harper's staying at Newcastle as a lack of ambition, I see it as a loyalty to a club. There are many people who would love to play for the toon, Harper deserves to have his loyalty applauded rather than his ambition questioned.

I get bloody sick of this whole "Harper lacks ambition" shit  :tickedoff: If you worked somewhere for a canny wage, doing the job you want to do, its local to where you live and when you do get to show what you can do people seem to appreciate it, would you want to move. I don't see Harper's staying at Newcastle as a lack of ambition, I see it as a loyalty to a club. There are many people who would love to play for the toon, Harper deserves to have his loyalty applauded rather than his ambition questioned.

can see your point but on the other hand if you look at it the other way you have a keeper on the books that could have moved numerous times, shay is always going to be our number one and instead of being ambitious enough to want to play week in week out he warms the bench. Not that I dont respect the lad for staying part of the cause just think he could have done better for himself elsewhere.

You want to applaud somebody that has sat on there arse and picked up a good wage for the best part of 10 years? Madness.

If your in a job you want to be the best, you dont want to be playing second fiddle to someone else, why is being a footballer any different, it isnt.

No ambition & no talent.

Guest NUFCnutter

You want to applaud somebody that has sat on there arse and picked up a good wage for the best part of 10 years? Madness.

In the 10 or more years Harper has been at the toon I bet he has cost us less in wages than Michael Owen has in his two. Owen at Watford looked disinterested before Fatty knocked him out, DISINTERESTED on £110,000 a week? I ask you! Maybe Harper does lack ambition but maybe he is just happy to be at the toon?

In the 10 or more years Harper has been at the toon I bet he has cost us less in wages than Michael Owen has in his two. Owen at Watford looked disinterested before Fatty knocked him out, DISINTERESTED on £110,000 a week? I ask you! Maybe Harper does lack ambition but maybe he is just happy to be at the toon?

Maybe he knows that he isnt good enough to get a sniff of the bench anywhere else?