Another day another link

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/bolton_wanderers/s/1007/1007400_big_sam_wants_baines.html

Big Sam wants Baines

Neil Barker

21/ 5/2007

WIGAN defender Leighton Baines is on Newcastle's wanted list.

New Magpies boss Sam Allardyce is a big admirer of the England under-21 full-back, and has been monitoring his progress for some time.

Glenn Roeder, Allardyce's predecessor, tried to sign Baines, and the new boss is equally keen to complete a deal as he bids to rebuild Newcastle's porous defence.

Paul Scharner could also be on his way out of the JJB Stadium, with Everton and Aston Villa believed to be interested in the Austria international.

New Latics boss Chris Hutchings - who has been promised a £20m transfer kitty by chairman Dave Whelan - is aiming to attract new players, with Watford's Danny Shittu a potential central defensive signing.

Hutchings said: "We have good players at the club and we only want to bring in new ones who want to play alongside the likes of Emile Heskey, Chris Kirkland and Denny Landzaat."

Better than what we have, could probably get better but not a bad shout

Guest Toon83

Good player, good age. But what price?

The price could be the problem, Wigan aren't daft they will try to get as much as they can for surely one of their, if not THE prize asset they have at the club.

I can see us having to pay upwards of £7m as a starting price

But Baines would be the best choice we could make for a left back, he is so much better than Bridge, and has an awesome shot

Guest johnson293

Good player, good age. But what price?

The price could be the problem, Wigan aren't daft they will try to get as much as they can for surely one of their, if not THE prize asset they have at the club.

I can see us having to pay upwards of £7m as a starting price

But Baines would be the best choice we could make for a left back, he is so much better than Bridge, and has an awesome shot

Spurs paid £4.5m for Chimbonda, despite Wigan previously saying "any offers below £6m would not be accepted", though the deal wasn;t done till just before the transfer window shut which probably helped drag the price down.

However, depends which other teams are interested in him - we dont wanna end up in a bidding war, and paying daft money!

Baines, Campbell & Ben Haim plus a solid rightback and were laughing.

If we could get Viduka on a free as well this could turn out to be an excellent 07/08 season.

Am i the only one who thinks Baines is massively overrated? Yes he good at set pieces and getting forward but he always look very suspect defensively when ive seen him play.

Am i the only one who thinks Baines is massively overrated? Yes he good at set pieces and getting forward but he always look very suspect defensively when ive seen him play.

Looked more solid last season defending but this season Wigan have been all over the place leaving him more exposed, i'd take little note in that tbh, apart from he may feel he's standing still or finding its time to move on to a bigger club.

Guest NorwegianMag

I like that Paul Scharner. Looked decent whenever I've seen him play.

Paul Scharner is a very good player. I saw him alot in Norway. He can handle many position( CB and CM). He's smart, have a good right foot and he's hard working.

I would've been over the moon with Leighton Baines.

If Emre & Parker do go, reckon Scharner would be a good addition to the squad? 

Another  brilliant piece of Anal O. today once again linking him with Bayern for the umpteenth time although Bayern who have been linked to hundreds of players in recent weeks here haven't been linked with Emre at all (Hertha is the only German club currently rumoured to be interested).

Another  brilliant piece of Anal O. today once again linking him with Bayern for the umpteenth time although Bayern who have been linked to hundreds of players in recent weeks here haven't been linked with Emre at all (Hertha is the only German club currently rumoured to be interested).

We've discounted Hertha haven't we Ise?

We've discounted Hertha haven't we Ise?

We did. ;)

Baines is one of the potential options as LB

The others are Bridge,Bale,Distin(to Portsmouth apparently).

I think so far we have been linked with this players

Baines would be fantastic signing for the future and i would be extremely happy if we sign him

Wigan would want alot of money for him though.

He is their star player