Announcement - Please all read

Dave

Hello all.

Recently there have been increasing numbers of threads appearing in which the subject has either been already discussed very recently or is complete bollocks. I'm not going to give specific examples, everyone has seen them. With the number of members also going up and up, this has become a major problem, both for the forum (loads of duplicate threads, not knowing which to read/ignore, fractured topics) and for the admin, who have to do a spiralling amount of largely unnecessary merging, modifying, locking and deleting.

The way we have chosen to address this is via a post count-based moderation system for both new members and those who very rarely post.

Basically, members have to post at least 100 times before they are able to start their own threads (or polls) on the forum. They will still be able to post normally during this time.

We hope this means that threads are started by members that have been here a while and have made a decent contribution to the forum. We feel this is a safe cut-off point to prevent new members just starting threads left, right and centre. 100 posts should take a lengthy amount of time to get to, and in that time it should be obvious to all whether that member contributes in a worthwhile way to the forum.

If this is not the case, and members reach 100 posts with rubbish then start to create worthless/duplicate threads, they can (and will) be downgraded to stop them. This will also happen to existing members with 100+ posts who regularly start shit threads. However, all people who are restricted from starting threads will still be able to post normally.

We hope this will make members aware that without contributing in a worthwhile fashion, the ability to create new threads will not be afforded to them, whether or not they reach 100 posts.

The admin understand that not everyone will be happy about this new arrangement, but we are doing this in the interests of the forum, hoping to create a more concise community with fewer threads that just clog up the place, create work and are generally not worth reading.

Cheers.

Edit

To clarify, the official post count was disabled in the past, for a variety of reasons. Then it was re-enabled as part of the forum rehaul.

To see your official post count, go to your profile and it is listed there. This will be different to your actual post count, which is found in your general posting statistics via the same page - this is higher because it continued to increase even when the official post count was disabled.

It is your official post count (first figure you get to in your profile) that is judged by the forum software for the aforementioned restrictions. We cannot change this.

Apologies for the confusion.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Nominations for downgrading:

NUFC06

soccer_master

newcastle_fan

Coach_HTT

Taylor27

James

Just out of interest it says on my stats page i have 200 odd posts yet if I go to my 'show all posts I have near a 1000. Did the stats only start working when the new forum was introduced?

I'm always scared to start a new thread as i cant read the forum daily so having this in place seems to make sense seen as the more dedicated posters (high volume of posts) will have a better idea of what goes down well as a good thread.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Nominations for downgrading:

NUFC06

soccer_master

newcastle_fan

Coach_HTT

Taylor27

James

Both are me  blueyes.gif

no shit

Guest toonbaz

i guess i will be one of the outcasts who cant start a new thread despite having never caused any problems previously, only got 50 posts.

Guest toonbaz

i suppose i could just pointlessly post in threads for a while to get me the same rights as everyone else

i suppose i could just pointlessly post in threads for a while to get me the same rights as everyone else

We hope this will make members aware that without contributing in a worthwhile fashion, the ability to create new threads will not be afforded to them, whether or not they reach 100 posts.

If anyone genuinely does have something that they want to post, but cant really do so without starting a new thread, PM me if I'm online, and I'll post it for you as long as thhe content is fairly reasonable.