Julio Baptista - worth a punt?

James

Baptista has been crap since moving to Madrid. before that he played really high up the pitch and usually in a lot of space to cover up his horrible control and technique. at madrid they used him as a defensive midfielder most the time, which was his position early on in his career. predictably he was awful. hasn't been played frequently enough at arsenal and besides they are not a team who play to his strengths, his instinct is to charge forward like a "beast", the arsenal way is to pass, control, pass, control and so on.

if we are looking for a bit of brute strength up front he'd be pretty good, though would never settle in newcastle. i wouldn't say he'd be any good as a target man, not great in the air and his control and vision are poor so not the player to bring others into the game. i don't particularly think we need a typical target man to complement the current crop tbh, but someone who can play with their back to goal, who has a bit of invention and skill but who can also hold it upfields when needed. Viduka definitely fits the bill.

3 pages on someone who isnt coming and no one wants? Howay man.

well what else do you want to talk about the weather?? He is an option due to the fact he is unwanted by arsenal and he has happy to move over here so is obviously expendable worth a chat aint it?

well what else do you want to talk about the weather?? He is an option due to the fact he is unwanted by arsenal and he has happy to move over here so is obviously expendable worth a chat aint it?

Try the other gadzillion threads on the forum.  :)

Try the other gadzillion threads on the forum.  :)

well bring back the transfer rumour section instead then, as much as I dont want him here, dont think he will come, I thought the same about Owen so as much as we dont think its going to happen this is the toon they always make sure we do something the supports, pundits etc dont think they will do.

id take himn over martins anyday

Why? I'd have probably said the same this time last year, but Baptista has proven to absolutely dreadful in the Premiership.

Why? I'd have probably said the same this time last year, but Baptista has proven to absolutely dreadful in the Premiership.

martins is hopeless and so overated by newcastle supporters. baptista has more to his game than martins IMO TBH

WUM or Weapon, BET NOW!

martins is hopeless and so overated by newcastle supporters. baptista has more to his game than martins IMO TBH

:lol: ok...

martins= 43 starts 17 goals

baptista= 17 starts 10 goals

thats not too bad for someone thats absolutely dreadful TBH

martin  shit team no support loan striker or duff with him = 17 goals

baptista-highly experienced international playing with some of the best internationals this league has = 10 goals.

ill keep martins thanks

For the record, to pick up on something that was mentioned earlier, i'd take Alan Smith any day of the week. The fella has got undoubted quality in my opinion - a very good centre-forward. However, he's someone who i've always just liked.

Doubt Ferguson would let him go now, though.

I said absolutely dreadful in the Premiership:

24 appearances, 3 goals.

it is his first season in the prem, he is young and he is flawed as is every player. When he first started playing he was getting into a position wanting someone to come with him hence the reason as a loan striker he aint been good. The ammount of time  I have seen him in space passing or waiting for the very slow le-sib give him a strong or quick striker and we will see a different martins. Where as we have seen enough of baptista he is too busy worrying about getting wet and moving back to spain.

martin  s*** team no support loan striker or duff with him = 17 goals

baptista-highly experienced international playing with some of the best internationals this league has = 10 goals.

ill keep martins thanks

martins doesnt do anything though apart from score a goal once in a while. Cant have many assists this season and hasnt played well this season

Not a whole lot of assists for either. 5 - 17(gls) in 44 (appearances) to baptistas 3 - 10 - 33

whilst i havent seen as much of Baptista as Martins (obviously) im pretty confident whom I prefer.

FTR, Martins has 6 assists. Which is alright when he's been the only goddamn striker on the field.

6 assists is really poor. compare him to rooney who has been the only striker for man utd for the majority of the season. people think martins is so good but all he does is score a goal every few games. compare him to rooney and rooney scores more goals than him and contributes alot more to the team

Sorry, i forgot he should be as good as Rooney.

Fucking sick of these utterly SHIT Martins arguments.

I said absolutely dreadful in the Premiership:

24 appearances, 3 goals.

there is no way you only meant premiership and not the fa cup or carling cup and if your only taking into account the premiership his goal scoring record isnt much worse than martins;

martins= 32 starts 11 goals

baptista= 11 starts 3 goals

give him the same amount of starts as martins and his goal scoring record would be 32 starts 9 goals

Actually, I purposely specified 'in the Premier League' because i don't think 6 goals against Liverpool's reserves should be taken into account. You seem to be very reliant on statistics, have you actually seen much of Baptista play this season? He's become somewhat of a joke amongst Arsenal and Tottenham fans.

By the way, i don't rate Martins, so there's no need to keep comparing them.

FTR, Martins has 6 assists. Which is alright when he's been the only goddamn striker on the field.

6 assists is really poor. compare him to rooney who has been the only striker for man utd for the majority of the season. people think martins is so good but all he does is score a goal every few games. compare him to rooney and rooney scores more goals than him and contributes alot more to the team

and cost manure nearly 25 million and again rooney been in the league longer, playing with better players and still has only managed 14 in a league last season so much for a massive difference ?

So Martins is onto the next stage of the "5 steps to becoming a shit Newcastle player" he is useless is he? Not long now until he is onto the "anyone would be better than him" stage.