Julio Baptista - worth a punt?

James

Arsenal fans think he's s***

Not worst then Adebayor tbh.

Disagree.

Julio has done bugger all.

Adebayor = the next Ameobi

Both (Baptista and Adebayor) were shit last season, both didnt really do enough to deserve a place in the starting eleven in the Arsenal squad, i am pretty much sure that Wenger will play with Henry-Van Persie up front next season and keep Adebayor on the bench as a back up, maybe even get a better striker.

• 7 months later...

:lol:

I just saw we had been linked with Baptista and so I wanted to talk about him a bit and I just read the last post and almost choked to death it made me laugh so much! Adebayor the next Ameobi?!!! How bad does that look now?  :iamatwat:

The last post is basically the reason I think Baptista is worth a punt. He needed more time at Arsenal and a run of more games, but it was difficult for him with the strikers and midfielders they had there, especially as he was on loan. I don't think Wenger really committed fully to getting him involved.

I think he would be brilliant for us in the original role he played at Sevilla, where he was awesome, as the second striker in a 4-4-1-1. If we could play him just behind Owen it could be brilliant. He has the presence, power and pace that we need upfront, and with Keegan in charge he will be particularly effective, as the ball will be played on the ground, because despite his physique, he isn't a lump it up to him sort. His game would also allow Owen to stay further up the pitch and finish things up in the box without having to drop back and get involved in general play as much, this is because Baptista tends to drop deeper and get involved in play more.

Don't believe the hype about him not liking the weather and all that. He was just a bit dissapointed Arsenal decided not to keep him and was looking for excuses.

Keegan will be able to give him the confidence to get his game back to where it was at Sevilla, and with Cacapa here he will at least have a fellow brazilian to samba with, you dig.

I'm all for this, and I would love us to try to make a move for him. Shola out and Julio Baptista in.

So who is with me on this?  :celb:

An Arsenal-supporting mate of mine seemed to think he was a midfielder.

When he first pitched up in Spain, he was a defensive midfielder, but the coach thought his attributes suited the role of a striker, and he was top scorer for Sevilla whilst used as a striker.

• 5 months later...

Arsenal fans think he's s***

Not worst then Adebayor tbh.

Disagree.

Julio has done bugger all.

Adebayor = the next Ameobi

Both (Baptista and Adebayor) were shit last season, both didnt really do enough to deserve a place in the starting eleven in the Arsenal squad, i am pretty much sure that Wenger will play with Henry-Van Persie up front next season and keep Adebayor on the bench as a back up, maybe even get a better striker.

:bluestar: :D

I love Baptista.

Keegan will turn him into the next Les Ferdinand.

Would take him anyday. I know he failed somehow at Arsenal, but I still think he's made for EPL...

He's got most of the core attributes, Stength, Pace as well as a good ability on the ball and for at least a season a good eye for goal.

However, i would never play him as a striker, he simply is never going to be prolific enough. I think he would make a craking attacking midfielder though, chipping in with enough goals to satisfy the position.

I love Baptista.

Keegan will turn him into the next Les Ferdinand.

Would take him anyday. I know he failed somehow at Arsenal, but I still think he's made for EPL...

He's got most of the core attributes, Stength, Pace as well as a good ability on the ball and for at least a season a good eye for goal.

However, i would never play him as a striker, he simply is never going to be prolific enough. I think he would make a craking attacking midfielder though, chipping in with enough goals to satisfy the position.

You know what though if we play the formation of last season with Baptista and Martins upfront with Owen just behind, then Baptista won't have to be super prolific. The three combined would get enough goals for sure.

Baptista also scored 50 goals over two seasons at Seville at one point so he's got it in him to score a lot of goals.

You know what though if we play the formation of last season with Baptista and Martins upfront with Owen just behind

That sounds pretty good like.

Doesn't signing Spiderman kinda rule out playing that formation though?