Big Sam looking at Crouch

Dokko

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/article1848404.ece

Newcastle move in on Crouch as Benítez looks for strikers

James Ducker

Sam Allardyce, the Newcastle United manager, is weighing up an audacious £10 million move for Peter Crouch, the Liverpool forward. Twice thwarted in his attempts to sign Crouch while in charge at Bolton Wanderers, Allardyce is hoping to strike it third time lucky this summer, although any deal would be dependent on a number of factors.

Rafael Benítez is willing to sell Crouch, but the Liverpool manager will first want to satisfy himself that a suitable replacement can be found, especially with Craig Bellamy nearing the exit door, Robbie Fowler released and the pursuit of one world-class striker proving difficult enough.

Benítez has struck a deal with Bayer Leverkusen for Andriy Voronin, the Ukraine forward, but Samuel Eto’o, the Barcelona striker, and Carlos Tévez, of West Ham United, are looking increasingly ambitious targets, while the manager is understood to have reservations about whether Darren Bent is worth the £15 million fee Charlton Athletic could command.

With Liverpool demanding £12 million for Bellamy, who is being courted by Aston Villa, West Ham and Blackburn Rovers, Benítez would probably want at least that much for Crouch, although Allardyce wants first to establish whether Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins wish to stay at St James’ Park.

Owen is attracting interest from Liverpool and Manchester United, so in theory a swap deal involving Crouch would make sense, but the situation is thought to be more complicated than that, especially because Newcastle supporters would probably be lukewarm to the idea. Crouch was also wanted by Glenn Roeder, Allardyce’s predecessor.

Whatever the decisions of Owen or Martins, they will not prevent Allardyce from pressing ahead with his plans to sign Mark Viduka, who is a free agent after his contract with Middlesbrough expired.

Mohamed Sissoko will hold talks with Benítez this week about his future. The Mali midfield player fell down the pecking order after Javier Mascherano’s arrival.

Benítez’s priority may be to find players who will turn Liverpool into genuine title contenders, but that has not prevented the Spaniard from planning for the future, with Andras Simon and Krisztian Nemeth, two young strikers, arriving on long-term contracts from MTK Hungaria. Simon is a year younger than Nemeth, 18, who caught the eye during last year’s Under17 European Championship finals.

Owen Hargreaves will have a medical at Old Trafford this week before completing his £18 million move from Bayern Munich.

United are hoping to arrange a replacement fixture for their planned match against a Malaysia XI on July 27, which has been cancelled because it clashed with the Asian Cup.

Thaksin Shinawatra is expected to make a formal bid for Manchester City next week, with Claudio Ranieri the former Thailand Prime Minister’s preferred choice to succeed Stuart Pearce as manager.

Wigan Athletic have accepted defeat in their pursuit of Phil Jagielka. The Sheffield United captain is expected to join Everton.

big and lanky and definetly improved alot over the last season or two and with bent being touted as an auction starting at 12 million i would take crouch for about the 10 million mark

The long feared Owen for Crouch deal.

*Benitez priority is to buy some decent players for a change. The American owners apparently have hired a consultancy firm to look at all his transfer dealings.

Guest TheOrder

Crouch is a great player imo

Zidane was a great player, Beardlsey was a great player, Ronaldo is a great player. Crouch is an effective 'good' player.

Crouch is a great player imo

Zidane was a great player, Beardlsey was a great player, Ronaldo is a great player. Crouch is an effective 'good' player.

Not really a footballer tbh.

Crouch has scored the odd very good goal and benefitted from playing for well organised and successful team / club.

Put him in any other club however and he will revert to what he was before. A very average, non prolific centre forward. Spurs/QPR/Portsmouth/Villa didnt off load him because they felt they werent good enough for Crouch. Its because he wasnt good enough

Decent lad.... not  a great footballer.

*Benitez priority is to buy some decent players for a change. The American owners apparently have hired a consultancy firm to look at all his transfer dealings.

I'd take that deal right now.

Owen has no interest in us, he is avoiding questions about us at England press conferences, the only thing he's ever talked about since he's been here is fuking England.

A cunt of the highest order.

Owen has no interest in us, he is avoiding questions about us at England press conferences, the only thing he's ever talked about since he's been here is fuking England

The FA Press Officer made it clear that in all cases there could be questions posed about England matters only, not club affairs.

Owen has no interest in us, he is avoiding questions about us at England press conferences, the only thing he's ever talked about since he's been here is fuking England

The FA Press Officer made it clear that in all cases there could be questions posed about England matters only, not club affairs.

Cheeky twats, they want suing for any financial loss when the cunt finally leaves.

not exactly chuffed that we're going after Crouch...especially for that much.(wouldn't pay half of it)

Nonetheless....he has improved a lot during the last couple of years and is now a good player.

Guest eyeball_tickler

Owen has no interest in us, he is avoiding questions about us at England press conferences, the only thing he's ever talked about since he's been here is fuking England.

A c*** of the highest order.

thats quite pathetic really. can you show me a quote from owen which says he doesnt care about us and wants to leave?

thats quite pathetic really. can you show me a quote from owen which says he doesnt care about us and wants to leave?

Because he's treated us as well as we've treated him.

We've put up with two seasons of injury, while paying his ludicrous wages and in that time all we've heard from him is him pining for England (Literally) and when confronted to commit to the club the cunt hides away, then dismisses any attempt for anyone to ask him questions about his future. (Whether England asked the media or not, no doubt he asked England to protect him)

I'm noy happy with his actions, call my omments pathetic i really dont give a fuk, but at least your up front with your opinions unlike Mickey the unloyal prick.

He's gone as soon as an offer comes in and he'll not feel bad about leaving a £10m+ hole in a club who 'rescued him' so he could go to the World Cup.

We've put up with two seasons of injury, while paying his ludicrous wages and in that time all we've heard from him is him pining for England (Literally) and when confronted to commit to the club the cunt hides away, then dismisses any attempt for anyone to ask him questions about his future. (Whether England asked the media or not, no doubt he asked England to protect him)

I'm noy happy with his actions, call me pathetic i really dont give a fuk, but at least your up front with your opinions unlike Mickey the unloyal prick.

He's gone as soon as an offer comes in and he'll not feel bad about leaving a £10m+ hole in a club who 'rescued him' so he could go to the World Cup.

So if the media ask him a question about England, you want him to talk about Newcastle?

Still think he will be off, if not this summer, next & who could blame him!

I'm noy happy with his actions, call me pathetic i really dont give a fuk, but at least your up front with your opinions unlike Mickey the unloyal prick.

So if the media ask him a question about England, you want him to talk about Newcastle?

Still think he will be off, if not this summer, next & who could blame him!

I'm in the fuk him off before he fuks us off mood, its coming, i've accepted it were gonna look like clowns and Liverpool fans and whoever he goes to fans will meg us until the prick retires, maybe beyond.

Guest JamesD

We've put up with two seasons of injury, while paying his ludicrous wages and in that time all we've heard from him is him pining for England (Literally) and when confronted to commit to the club the c*** hides away, then dismisses any attempt for anyone to ask him questions about his future. (Whether England asked the media or not, no doubt he asked England to protect him)

I'm noy happy with his actions, call my omments pathetic i really dont give a fuk, but at least your up front with your opinions unlike Mickey the unloyal prick.

i love how much information you infer from absolutely nothing. 

£10m for Crouch is a bit of a rip off.

£10m for Crouch and Viduka... is good business.

Still, if we're gonna spend that sort of money on a striker, i'd rather it be someone else. But i like Crouch and i think he could work here. He's got a decent goalscoring record, whichever way you look at it.