If Owen goes....

Thespence

The mail says we are going after Defoe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=458147&in_page_id=1779

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce will make a move for Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe if Michael Owen quits Tyneside.

The Magpies manager will give Defoe the stage he needs to press his international claims and can offer him the regular first-team football he lacks at White Hart Lane.

Defoe is also wanted by Portsmouth and Manchester United with Liverpool also a possible destination. Spurs, however, are highly unlikely to allow him to leave until they sign a replacement with Charlton striker Darren Bent their key target.

Guest Triglett

I reckon he's off. Don't want him to go, but he will do. Keane just got a nice new 5 year contract despite only signing one last summer. Defoe, meanwhile, is still on relatively poor pay and only has a couple of years left on his contract. Levy also said in a statement that we've secured the futures of all our key players and tied them down on long contracts. So yeah.

I still think Villa or Pompey.

I think he's a talented player who just needs a bit of straightening out. Maybe he got too much praise too soon in his career. A fresh challenge outside of Lahndon could do the trick.

Better player than Oba anyway.

I think he's a talented player who just needs a bit of straightening out. Maybe he got too much praise too soon in his career. A fresh challenge outside of Lahndon could do the trick.

:rolleyes:

Well obviously, who isn't!  :nope:

i'd go along with that,i'd be willing to take a punt on huntelaar first though

Completely different player to Oba and most definitely a poor man's Michael Owen, I'd say.

Definitely wouldn't be an improvement on Owen... well hold on a second, if he played more than ten games then he probably would be, but you get my general point. Certainly wouldn't upset me, but I would rather see Martins be given a chance alongside a suitable partner if Owen is to leave.

Let's hope he doesn't, though, if he stays fit or even just manages 20-30 games he'll probably be more valuable than either Oba OR Defoe would be playing more matches goals-wise.

Thing with JD is, he won't be coming anywhere to sit on the bench and that wouldn't bode well for either him or Martins if it happened. I'm not sure if we can afford to be signing players of his standard who want that in their careers when we already have two strikers who are arguably as good, if not better than him, on our books. I understand that this is IF Owen leaves and he's probably the next best English thing. Bit of a wideboy though and I'm not sure if he's got the right "mentality" to be the top man at a big club.

Guest MagicNumber9

Not arsed if he goes really, dont want any players that dont want to wear the shirt.

Go on, fuck off Owen.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Fat Freds last legacy, it now looks like every bastard club will have to pay into a compo fund to bail out the few stupid fucks who buy England players who get injured

Guest Triglett

Apart from possibly size, I can't really understand comparisons with Owen. He hasn't really got a brain to speak of, his positioning is poor, is frequently caught offside, doesn't make those clever runs, and he doesn't even really deserve that reputation he seems to have as a 'fox in the box' type player.

I'm not saying he's a bad player though. I don't think there are many like him left, and that's what makes him special. He's very direct and uses his trickery, quick feet and pace to kill off defenders. I still rate him as one of the best finishers in the Premiership, and his powerful shot means he can also be deadly from range (although sometimes, borne out of frustration I guess, he adopts a shoot on sight policy, which can be a little frustrating at the best of times). In the early days, when we were completely devoid of creativity, Defoe would be the man to pluck a goal out of nowhere. He can be a pretty selfish player, but I think that that's when he's at his best. Very much a confidence player - I thought he was outstanding in his first year and a bit at Spurs as the main man, and when given a run in the team, he often does well. I'd like to see him stay really, but I've seen enough to know that he doesn't fit in here anymore - his general contribution to the team throughout the 90 minutes is nowhere near the level of Keane's or Berbatov's (and when he has tried, it's very clearly taken the edge off his game), and he really does need to be a regular starter.

Guest teepee

if owen really leaves i'd like to see us go for someone a lot bigger than defoe to partner oba. if we really have all that cash that is rumoured we should be able to get in at least crouch, and maybe even luca toni.

i do, however, rate defoe - and if martins and owen are both sold i'd absolutely love him here!

but at the end of the day i very much hope that both owen and oba stays!

Guest Armchair Pundit

If Owen leaves I hope the little fucker breaks both his legs badly in a tragic accident ending his career early. If he can't commit to us openly and feels the need to repay us by leaving then I say ditch him, I'm just really hacked off with hearing about it day in, day out.

Guest DavB93

Got to admit that abit cheesed off hearing everyday if Owen is staying or going, I've got to agree with Freddy for once(Never thought I'd see the day). Owen should come out and say if he's commited to the club or he should bugger off (Sooner rather than later), if we do sell him I'd try to sign Darren Bent.

Completely different player to Oba and most definitely a poor man's Michael Owen, I'd say.

Definitely wouldn't be an improvement on Owen... well hold on a second, if he played more than ten games then he probably would be, but you get my general point. Certainly wouldn't upset me, but I would rather see Martins be given a chance alongside a suitable partner if Owen is to leave.

Let's hope he doesn't, though, if he stays fit or even just manages 20-30 games he'll probably be more valuable than either Oba OR Defoe would be playing more matches goals-wise.

Thing with JD is, he won't be coming anywhere to sit on the bench and that wouldn't bode well for either him or Martins if it happened. I'm not sure if we can afford to be signing players of his standard who want that in their careers when we already have two strikers who are arguably as good, if not better than him, on our books. I understand that this is IF Owen leaves and he's probably the next best English thing. Bit of a wideboy though and I'm not sure if he's got the right "mentality" to be the top man at a big club.

Pretty well sums him up imo.  Movement isn't as good as Owen, finishing isn't as as controlled, constantly offside, JD's only plus point over MO over the past 2 years is his injury record.  That said, given the right team set up, I could imagine him doing a lot better than he does for Spurs.  Villa are interested and I could imagine him playing well with Carew.  I find it hard to imagine him playing well with Martins, I don't think JD is a realistic option for Newcastle tbh.

if owen really leaves i'd like to see us go for someone a lot bigger than defoe to partner oba. if we really have all that cash that is rumoured we should be able to get in at least crouch, and maybe even luca toni.

i do, however, rate defoe - and if martins and owen are both sold i'd absolutely love him here!

but at the end of the day i very much hope that both owen and oba stays!

Toni joins Bayern, it's a done deal.