Top Six Finish A Realistic Target Next Season ...?

Jamie

Guest Knightrider

I think anyone who is expecting or hoping for a top 6 finish next season will be bitterly disappointed come the end of the term in my opinion. I'd settle for a top 10 finish myself so long as I see visible progress being made.

You might want to ask this question again come September 1st. Only then could people have a more constructive opinion on where we'll finish.

Being optimistic....I would be satisfied with finishing in the top half and giving our all in the cups. Of course if we spend 50 million this summer signing some top brass then my expectations would obviously be set a lot higher

I don't think you'll fnish 6th next season, it is too much to expect Big Sam to turn around what you have now and get you into the top 6 in one season, no matter how much money he has to spend.

If I were one of you, I'd be agreeing with Gejon, decent progress is all you can really ask of a manager in his first season.

top 4,then spurs,then a quagmire,6th is achievable and spurs are no great shakes.

this post could come from a toon or villa perspective

Top 4 has to be the target for an anbitious manager and it is reasonable to think that we are in the same boat as  Spurs, Villa, Everton in making this our best possible finish target. IMO it is the only way to think and that way the top 6 will come as a good runner up prize. I think Liverpool and Arsenal both have more weaknesses and problems than people realise and both have been nearly pipped for the 4th spot recently.

I think anyone who is expecting or hoping for a top 6 finish next season will be bitterly disappointed come the end of the term in my opinion. I'd settle for a top 10 finish myself so long as I see visible progress being made.

Why is that then?

We've got to set ourselves high, but attainable targets. I'd be pleased with progress but we've under-performed (as a club) for a few years now. Given our resources we must be targeting top 6. Shoot for the stars and all that.

Guest Magpiecn

Top11,I dont expect it more.Its ridiculous to hope newcastle get into top4.Top6 is the best.

Guest Knightrider

Why is that then?

Many reasons Parky, for one it looks like the entire team will be ripped up and many new faces will come in, it will take time for those players to gel, then there are Big Sam's methods which can't be taken in overnight, these things will sink in over time, and looking at others around us, the likes of Everton and Spurs now have settled squads which will help them maintain their own status quo.

Most of all though, we just aren't geared up to push for the top 6.

I can actually see us starting the season very well, we'll fluke a few good wins early on and this will lull everyone into a false sense of security, and then when Big Sam's methods catch up with everyone, we'll drop off and then require a mad end of season push to make something of our season, falling short of that when the final whistle goes at the end of the campaign.

Hope I'm wrong, but just think there is too much that will be going on at all levels, to have a good season we'll require most things to click into place, that rarely happens, not at a club that's just been fucked over by FS, Souness and then Roeder in quick succession.

Sam's good but not that good ;)

I've said all along that a top 10 finish and doing the double over the Mackems/Yids will be a great start to the path of enlightenment.  More bothered about doing the double over the Scum, but Spurs would be a bonus.  ;)

I agree with the posts telling me not to get excited.

But if we get Barton, Allardyce could turn his attitude around i think we could have a quality player there.

If we sort our back 4 out than i am sure we can give Big Sam the backing and support of a top 6 finish definately top 10.

With this team im sure that we could finish top 6  ;)

----------------Owen/Martins---Viduka-------------------

Tuncay-------Appiah--------M.Fernandes----Milner----

Jansen------Campbell---------Taylor-----Solano/New--

---------------------------Given--------------------------------

Guest Peter.Sthlm

The most important thing is to get of to a good start. Look at Everton, Reading, Portsmouth and Bolton all started strong this season and ended up in the top 10 because they later on could afford some pointless streaks without risking relegation. If we start the seaon strongly and win a 5-6 of our first 10 we could build from there and go on to finish 5-6. If we don't then a top 10 finishing is what I would be expecting.

If we spend £45m... i'll expect us to finish in the Top 6. I think that's reasonable.

If we spend £10-15m or whatever Sam initially had/has before any takeover, i'll be happy with top half and obvious improvement. Either way i'm not expecting too much too fast.

I'm sure we'll improve, but the Premiership has become more unpredictable. We used to be reasonably sure that we'd be able to outmuscle any club outside the top four in the transfer market. We've now got Spurs, West Ham and Villa looking to spend big, and so the competition for the available players will be fierce.

Guest BigAl2

With this team im sure that we could finish top 6  ;)

----------------Owen/Martins---Viduka-------------------

Tuncay-------Appiah--------M.Fernandes----Milner----

Jansen------Campbell---------Taylor-----Solano/New--

---------------------------Given--------------------------------

Its all ifs and buts  at the moment, we finished 5 points above relegation last season and as yet we have signed nobody, as has been stated a change in attitude and performance is what we should be hoping for and supporting, with that will come results which will see us climb the table.

A genuine mid table finish would be a move in the right direction in the new regimes first season not 5 points above relegation.

Provided that the transfer budget is more than 25m, Top 6 IS a realistic target - this is dependent on Allardyce being able to land his targets, though, and as someone has said , we have more Clubs wanting to spend big money now.Nevertheless, I still think that the new set-up enables us to be as attractive as any bar the top 4 clubs, but time is of the essence - if the takeover drags on past the next 10 days, we will start to see targets drifting away as other clubs take advantage of the stalemate in the boardroom.

If Ashley can get Shepherd out quickly, AND install a top operator like Dein, we can expect things to really move - in that case, Allardyce should have all the ammo he needs to start challenging for top 6.

Also, I agree that a good start is vital - the club has come out of the traps like a tortoise in the past few years, and I expect Allardyce to have them flying next time, if only that he may have sorted out some of the bad habits/diets/troublemakers by then..

Guest sittingontheball

Reasonable *target*? Whey aye! If Spuds Everton Villa continue to progress though, it could well be too much to *achieve*. Top six hasn't been so difficult in recent seasons, but the bump up in tv money might make it a bit more difficult now.

If we score considerably more (at least 50 total), win a couple from behind, show a bit of proper incision against the bottom half at least, and generally look organised and suitably up for it, missing out on Europe wouldn't disappoint me so much.

Guest khyberpass

I think Stozo is talking from an Ashley perspective...Europe or sack is his starting gambit...

However, I actually agree with HTT in believing that as we have ripped the squad to bits; -

1) it takes time to gel a new set of players and;

2) £45M in the current market is NOT going to buy us top 4, or possibly even top 6.

We realisitically need at least :

1) a quality CB (really 2)

2) a quality LB

3) an AM   - someone who shoots and dribbles/runs (look at Lampard/Ronaldo stats against our midfield)

4) a DM - someone to act as a first defence who can actually tackle (again look at our stats  - apart from Parker who was top of the league and we are losing - crazy in my opinion!?)

5) a big front man - if we had Viduka I'd still want another (Zigic, Crouch, Berbatov) in case the rumours of Ameobi still being crocked are true

That just gets us a team who (if all fit) can challenge for top 6....are the next 11 good enough to maintain that push?...

Id say the front line is a yes, but the backline (excluding Krul who is top notch) is a big NO...

--------------------------------Krul------------------------------------------------

Carr------------------Taylor------------Ramage/Huntingdon/Edgar----------------Babayaro

Dyer----------------Butt----------------------Emre---------------------------------NZogbia

-----------------Shola/ANother big man------------------Owen/Martins

:frantic: