This is getting extremely stupid now ...

KaKa

West Ham set to join high rollers with £13m offer for Johnson

EXCLUSIVE By NEIL ASHTON

Last updated at 22:55pm on 3rd June 2007

West Ham will enter the summer spending frenzy with a £13million offer for Andrew Johnson and the promise of £90,000-a-week wages.

The deal, which would more than double Johnson’s earnings at Everton, would be worth £4.7m a year.

The England striker is aware of the interest and although West Ham expect Everton to rebuff their opening bid, the London club are prepared to go as high as £18m, which could prove too good to turn down.

West Ham are already set to complete a £7m deal for Newcastle midfielder Scott Parker, who has agreed a £72,000-a-week contract.

Now Hammers chief Alan Curbishley, backed b y Icelandic billionaire Thor Bjorgolfsson, wants Johnson as the club target Champions League football within the next three seasons.

Johnson, who scored 11 Premiership goals for Everton last season, would become the highest paid player in Hammers history if their bid is successful.

Goodison Park manager David Moyes, who is planning for a UEFA Cup campaign next season, is forced to work with a limited budget and is struggling to raise the £6m required to buy Phil Jagielka from relegated Sheffield United.

Curbishley, resigned to losing Carlos Tevez, will make Lucas Neill captain next season with skipper Nigel Reo-Coker set for Aston Villa after his outburst last week.

There is also no future at the club for Paul Konchesky, Matt Etherington and Hayden Mullins.

The Parker transfer, which is subject to a medical, clears the way for Newcastle to tie up a £5.5m move for Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton.

In a tribute to St James’ Park boss Sam Allardyce, Barton said last night: "He’s a good manager, he showed that at Bolton. At Newcastle the sky’s the limit. If the club decide to do business it’s up to me to speak to them."

Guest eyeball_tickler

in the papers this morning they were after johnson and arteta for £30 million.

it would be lovely if all these players signed then they got relegated for the tevez thing.

it would be lovely if all these players signed then they got relegated for the tevez thing.

That story was complete bollocks lifted from a forum.

This one seems silly as well but if they really do want to pay £15-18m for Johnson then more fool them. I'd snap their hands off. He's good but certainly not great. We could get Fernandes and Nugent or a good foreign striker for that money.

Guest optimistic nit

god i hope this ends badly. 72grand a week for parker. were paying him over the odds for fucks sake.

If they buy these standard of players they will build a good team, but they are only ever gonna be top 8. Not really good enough when your spending that kind of money. They are gonna be spending top class money on just canny/good players.

Guest optimistic nit

parker and AJ are top 8. fuck knows what egghead thinks he's going to achieve spending 25million and 150K a week for them and finding out that they'll be lucky to qualify for the euro vase once in a few seasons. their already giving lucas neil (good, but no more) a fortune.

Guest gggg

The next Leeds tbh

The revenue they make from finishing top 6 wont pay for the champions league wages.

That story was complete bollocks lifted from a forum.

This one seems silly as well but if they really do want to pay £15-18m for Johnson then more fool them. I'd snap their hands off. He's good but certainly not great. We could get Fernandes and Nugent or a good foreign striker for that money.

1878, how do rate Fernandes? Is he worth the quoted £12m? He seems like a player that nufc should be targeting when the takeover goes through.

Going to be alot of players in and out at West Ham for the next few years by the looks of things.

Going to be hard to get a settled team that will go places.

Looks like they are improving the team in stages, but will always mean players coming and leaving.

Not really that great for football in general if this is the way things are going to go.

West Ham are looking to tempt Everton striker Andy Johnson away from Goodison in an £13m deal plus the promise of £90,000-a-week wages. (Daily Mail)

ridiculous!

I'd be embarrased if I was a West Ham fan. Couldn't deal with watching a team where it was so blatant that most of them are only there for the money. They shouldn't have to stoop so low either, I know they're no Barcelona but they're not exactly Wigan either. They should be able to get some players in - especially players of the calibre Curbs seem to be going after (ie, average) without offering them silly money. If I were a WH fan I'd prefer it if they would sign someone who actually wanted to play for the club rather than the moneys. :huff:

Guest graemeh72

Couldn't deal with watching a team where it was so blatant that most of them are only there for the money.

errrr....

With all this intrest in other strikers from WHU, does anyone else think now would be a good time to put a bid in for Ashton?

Just the type of player Owen needs beside him in my opinion. Test the water with an 7 million bid and see how we go. 

With all this intrest in other strikers from WHU, does anyone else think now would be a good time to put a bid in for Ashton?

Just the type of player Owen needs beside him in my opinion. Test the water with an 7 million bid and see how we go. 

Or get Viduka for nowt. :D

True.... I was just thinking about the future a bit, what with Ashton being younger. Also if he stays a WHU this season and as I suspect, knocks some goals in and generally puts some good performances in, his value with go up by the end of it.

True.... I was just thinking about the future a bit, what with Ashton being younger. Also if he stays a WHU this season and as I suspect, knocks some goals in and generally puts some good performances in, his value with go up by the end of it.

Not sure he will get a look in if W-Ham sign Bent or Johnson. Hopefully not then he can come join us the season after next :)