The moral obligations of a football club... is signing Joey Barton moral?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I think this deserves its own thread but I've not posted enough so feck it I'll stick it in here.

I want to pose the question of is signing Joey Barton moral?  Football clubs many people are quick to point out are NOT just businesses they are part of the fabric of people's lives and upbrings.  People can even use a football club to form some sort of identity, this can be especially true of Newcastle fans (in case anyone was wondering I am a one).  Because of this can we look at the signing of Barton along purely footballing lines as in he's a pretty good player?  A disciplinary record like his would prevent him holding a job in the public sector and in many private business.  For me I can't justify the signing of Barton because of this.  So lets start a debate, oh and if any clever admin type person wants to stick this in a thread on its own with a poll that would be groovy.

Deserves a wider discussion in my opinion not just about Barton but the whole football and morals issue  :thup:

Is signing Joey Barton moral?

What moral obligations does a football club, our club have to fill, if at all?

I read somewhere in this forum that there are more famous players who have worse disciplinary problems, or are worse models to the people, who are still revered by the fans. Gascoigne, Best, Adams, Keane, McGrath etc. They are terrible role models yet because they are obviously a class (or many) above Joey Barton (as football player) the public tend to be close an eye.

I think I will stick to this. Unless a player is excellent or exceptionally good, I don't want players like Bowyer, Barton near my club.

Guest zerocipher

I think that before people should answer this question, we should actually know circumstances around what happened. Look at everything that circulated about how Zidane was such a POS for what he did to Materazzi<sp?>, then we come to find out he called his mother and sister terrorists.

Guest BooBoo

If a month into the season, Joey Barton is playing for the Toon and launches a 30yard last minute winner at the Stadium of Plop, nobody will be stroking their chin thinking "hmmm he's a wrong 'un that lad."

I think that before people should answer this question, we should actually know circumstances around what happened. Look at everything that circulated about how Zidane was such a POS for what he did to Materazzi<sp?>, then we come to find out he called his mother and sister terrorists.

:laugh:

No he didn't.

I think it's OK as long as he's fit to play football (which includes being in a team, of course). It's not like his job is to supervise children. He's a footballer, and a few disciplinary problems aren't as bad then as using performance-enhancing drugs. His violent temper isn't going to be a part of his identity as a 'role-model', but being a lazy spoilt brat is part of Dyer's. We're not putting people at risk by signing him, and we aren't cheating at the game of football.

We need a few right bastards now that Bellamy and Bowyer have left.

Guest zerocipher

No he didn't.

Oh, I guess your 1 of like 50 people that believe what the scuzzball says as to what he said. Quite funny really. Too bad reality doesnt back it.

If a month into the season, Joey Barton is playing for the Toon and launches a 30yard last minute winner at the Stadium of Plop, nobody will be stroking their chin thinking "hmmm he's a wrong 'un that lad."

or he knocks out shay given in a training day bust up, will we all be calling for his head saying let him go on a free (this all depends on if we sign him of course)

But where do you draw the line?

We're owned by a personal friend of George Bush :(

Indeed. And I am conveniently forgetting Randy Lerner's considerable donations to the Bush election campaign(s).

Guest khyberpass

Rather have kept scott parker than got barton any day...

what could the young lad have said to warrant a cigarette in the eye...

what did his team mate say to warrant continuing to beat him AFTER he was down and not fighting back?

[move][glow=red,2,300]Barton is not someone I want my kids to aspire to...[/glow][/move]

No he didn't.

Oh, I guess your 1 of like 50 people that believe what the scuzzball says as to what he said. Quite funny really. Too bad reality doesnt back it.

You've totally contradicted your own point mate, you should know the circumstance of what happened, shouldnt you? You've made an assumption that he called called them terrorists, which Zidane has never confirmed. Anyway every one wasnt going on about what a POS Zidane was, it was more people desperately trying to justify the fact that Zizou had just nutted someone in the World Cup final. :lol:

So your mind only handle one opinion about a certain person, event, or place at a time? Interesting...

If we don't sign Barton someone else will, football has no moral obligation to society. However I do believe that clubs need to make it very clear to players that they are not paid just to train & play 90 mins but to lead a life that doesn't distract or effect theirs or teammates performance on the pitch.

Keepin' it short, but my tuppence:

Don't like him, don't need someone so stupid as him, we've already had enough bad personalities at the club.

But great player, deserves a second chance and if he can prove his worth on the pitch, while also refraining from putting his teammates into the hospital ward, he'll be a brilliant signing.

So, i'm split. :)

Morally it's wrong but there's not much morally right with football anyway. It could be argued in any case, that Allardyce being pretty good at man-management would be just the guy to straighten Barton out if, as he alleges, he's looking for a fresh start.

Personally, I don't like him, but after Bowyer the only way is up.

The morality of players is the least of the ethical issues involved.

The crimes of someone like Barton are minuscule when compared to those of  the  moneyed interests that run the game-- Berlusconi,  Murdoch. etal.

Is the question of morality aimed at the acts of agression he has shown (cigarette in the eye is pretty bad mind I must admit) or are people looking at what his brother has done and connecting him with that ?