Club Captain

Guest DavB93
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would love to see Steven Taylor get it.

Duff, Owen, Martins, Rozenhal, Emre etc have all played with and beaten the best

how the hell are they expected to look up to Steven Taylor?

Guest Verlaine

Duff, Owen, Martins, Rozenhal, Emre etc have all played with and beaten the best

Duff, Owen, Martins and Emre could all certainly look up to Steven Taylor.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Aston Villa handball.

Man Utd handball.

DJ Campbell trip.

No, not yet. 4 years.

Duff, Owen, Martins and Emre could all certainly look up to Steven Taylor.

hilarious

do you expect any of them to?

Guest samtoonarmy

Steven Taylor should be captain. Yes he isn't experianced but he is a good leader and I think he would make a great captain for NUFC. Shay Given would also be a goos captain, however because he is in goal, he is quite far away from some of the players so that has to be one of the factors why we shouldn't give it to him. Other than that, Shay Given would also make a goos skipper for NUFC as well as Taylor.

Given's the only guaranteed automatic starter, so it'll be him; not that i consider him a very good Captain.

Exactly.

As for it not mattering if the captain is an automatic starter or not Mick, howay man, it'd be canny ridiculous to have a club captain who plays a "bit part" role in the first eleven although I know there are a few teams who've done it in the past.

Just doesn't make sense to me though. The captain should be the figurehead/mainstay of the team and should ideally be there in every situation that the team finds itself in. It wouldn't be as much use having our club captain on the bench/in the stands, even if he was better at the job whilst on the pitch. Given, barring last year, has been almost ever-present for us and is one of the longest serving players on the books - as well as being a model pro and having English as his first language. Obviously he's held back a bit by his position and his apparent lack of communication skills, but in the dressing room you'd imagine he's one of - if not the most - respected blokes at the club.

Short-term he's the best option for me. As much as we need to, I'm not sure if you can buy "captains" - especially not good ones.

Guest khyberpass

I'd vote for "none of the above".

Given too quiet. Owen - not sure of commitment, or ability to play 2/3rd of games, Butt - a good call but is he 1st team; Taylor - too young;

If rumours of a Campbell/Hyppia character coming in are true, they would be the perfect club captain...

Otherwise  - the Duke!

It'll be a bit of a surprise if he's still here next season mate, let alone as club captain! His first-team status is far from determined as well.

goes for every other candidate with the exception of Given

what does a captain do ? those that are leaders will lead regardless of an armband.

sometimes giving the captaincy to a player fires/inspires them (beckham) or matures them (cantona),we have a leader too immature(taylor) and little else.

viduka could be an interesting choice..captaining aus at the minute and with a reputation for going missing....would the arm band "inspire him"?

It'll be a bit of a surprise if he's still here next season mate, let alone as club captain! His first-team status is far from determined as well.

Which has sort of been my point from the first reply in this thread, funnily enough!

Which has sort of been my point from the first reply in this thread, funnily enough!

I know what you mean but Given just cannot be captain, he cannot

emmm, where were all the viduka supporters when i posted this.

was just on the nufc official bebo page, http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4013663542 . in players they have them all listed but next to viduka they have a ©. make of that what you want.

:lol:

That's nearly as funny as the official list of world class players from earlier.

im glad it's just nearly